Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I possibly have an issue with my clutch. The bike sometimes has difficulty making it from first to second without getting stuck in neutral. Also, it does not like to shift at high rpms anymore. Today it seemed to get stuck between 5th and 6th gear when I was accelerating hard. But its fine when I shift at the speeds recommended in the manual...lol. The adjuster clamp on the left handlebar is fine. But I don't have the caliper to measure the freeplay. I could also just suck at shifting in these boots im wearing now since its too cold to just wear Vans :LOL:

·
Registered
389 Posts
When i wear boots instead of tennis shoes i have to adjust the shift lever up to get my boot under it. Hopefully it might be something as simple as adjusting it.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
464 Posts
The specification for the clutch lever free-play is 2~3 mm.
  • 3mm=1/8".
  • A piece of uncooked spaghetti is 2mm thick.
  • An old credit card is 1mm thick, so cut one in half, lay the 2 pieces on top of each other and you have 2mm.
  • If you don't eat spaghetti, and don't use credit cards, then tear a business card into 4 pieces, lay them on top of each other and that is also 2mm.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Freeplay is funny because you can get super technical with it, or just use a shiny nickle. Well, remember in the old days when change was easy to get? The width of that is really close to your 3mm. Now it's probably easier to go buy some noodles.

First though, sir down on the ground and mess with the shift lever and its linkage. Notice how much up and down play it has. That's good to keep on mind because you have to push the lever through that to even start the shift. The lever needs to be set up properly to deal with this. And, like Chowda said, shoes are a big deal. I have ball bearing supported rearsets and my lever still moves up and down 1/4" without accomplishing anything.

The lever height is easy to adjust . You need a 10mm wrench. Do keep in mind that the locknut with the line on it is reverse threaded.

If you crack those lockouts loose, you just rotate the rod to raise/lower the lever. Lock it down when you are done. Once you find the perfect spot, download an angle finder app for your phone. Measure the levers angle and you'll have a good referance point for further adjustments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts