Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't have a problem with aftermarket exhausts that are not horribly loud. Straight open pipes are horrible.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I don't have a problem with aftermarket exhausts that are not horribly loud. Straight open pipes are horrible.
Straight open pipes, and then they play their stupid radio loud enough to be heard over the pipes. I have 3 subs in my truck that I play fairly loud, and I can still hear their music over mine.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I am completely against the straight pipes thing. Even race tracks are cracking down on noise. Not to mention it is almost always less power than a tuned exhaust.

I completely understand people want cars to know they are there but when people abuse things some ridiculous law comes down that ruins it for everyone else.
78-86 decibels, which is not very loud https://floridacarlaws.com/exhaust-noise/

Oh, and the radio thing needs to change too because that is just over the top. FL has a law on that too but it is rarely enforced. 25ft or more: https://legalbeagle.com/7221539-loud-party-music-florida-laws.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love the sound of a good tuned exhaust. However I keep mine stock due to the hours I work and respect for my neighbors. I also figure it is a double edge sword... the police can not hear me but neither can anyone else.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Louder is OK but straight is an obnoxious noise that lessens the power due to no back pressure. I do like a non factory sound and I will always remember a neighbor of mine that had V-Max with a Scorpion exhaust that sounded VERY much like a bored out V8. Whenever we went anywhere, people all wanted to look.

·
Registered
560 Posts
We have a lot of deer where I live and I have totaled two cars from hitting them on the road. I would like to think that my aftermarket exhaust is not too loud, but loud enough that the deer can hear me coming and will run back into the woods.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I like your thinking JohnMark

·
Registered
696 Posts
We have a lot of deer where I live and I have totaled two cars from hitting them on the road. I would like to think that my aftermarket exhaust is not too loud, but loud enough that the deer can hear me coming and will run back into the woods.
I like your thinking JohnMark
Another myth...:smile_big:

The deer's survival instinct, when startled, is to run flat out in a RANDOM direction. I've seen them run straight into trees, into traffic, a few times into the sides of cars, into chain link fences (over and over) and once, into my riding buddy & his Concours. Deer who live near roadways typically get acclimated to road sounds and panic when visually stimulated. Deer whistles help some but there's no perfect solution other than to be visually alert and slow down when deer are around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A sportbike that howls like an Indycar is music to my ears. And, growing up in the 70's, I miss the sound and smell of 2 strokes. BUT, straight pipes are just rude and obnoxious!

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I had a Honda trail 70 when I was 9 years old, the mechanic where my dad worked cut the muffler off after the bend where it come out of the cylinder and welded a piece of 1” water pipe instead of the muffler then tacked the heat shield on, I’ll never forget that sound when I first cranked it up lol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a Honda trail 70 when I was 9 years old, the mechanic where my dad worked cut the muffler off after the bend where it come out of the cylinder and welded a piece of 1” water pipe instead of the muffler then tacked the heat shield on, I’ll never forget that sound when I first cranked it up lol.
Memories. In 1969, I had a Honda S-65. I recall replacing the muffler with a length of copper pipe that I found in my parents garage. I fabricated a spacer and a clamp to make it fit on the end of the header. I painted it flat black. I liked the way it sounded, but I'm sure it annoyed the heck out of the neighbors at the time. ;0)

I also cut vent holes in the "air box side covers" and installed louvered grids to let the fresh air in. This let me hear the intake sounds.

It looked just like this one.
The stock muffler made it darn near silent!

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
That was a sweet bike trialsguy, that was me annoying the neighbors, I can’t count the times I had the police called on me. Specially after I got the Yamaha 500 sc 2- stroke Moto crosser, with the silencer out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My first bike, and most likely the beginning of my hearing loss...1969 Kawasaki Trail Boss for those of you who didn't recognize it. Bought it brand new and kinda beat the living crap out of it. The custom paint was because the original was all scratched up. Ran it through the woods a lot and in the mud a lot. Enduros and old style motocross was my thing way back then...ridden year around in upper Michigan. I had a fair number of chats with LEOs. I'll always remember my first...

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts