Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,204 Posts
I've found ordinary, cheap headphones help a lot. Even if I'm not listening to music. Something to stop the wind noise

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a set of custom ear plugs made years ago (maybe 1999) and always ride with them. Before that, I used to ride with foam ear plugs (that never fit my odd shaped ear canal well). The custom set offers outstanding noise reduction and are worth every penny they cost.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have been using these - They come in 2 size plugs but only 1 set of "Suppressors" so you take the black bit out and put it in the plug that fits your ears - You have to get used to not pushing them in too far but once you do that I get no ear pain - They reduce ambient noise by 24db and I use them with my communicator just fine - Molded plugs are on my list to get but have too many exhausts to buy currently :)

Green Audio equipment Font Terrestrial plant Gadget

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
217 Posts
I just buy a 100 pack of Howard Leight foam ear plugs and use those. Very comfortable and cut down the mental fatigue of the wind screeching at you all day. As long as the comms speaker is directly over your ear hole, I have no issue hearing my podcasts and music up to 80-85mph. Its not as loud as I would like, but I can still hear it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
226 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Reactions: MicMac

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have been using these - They come in 2 size plugs but only 1 set of "Suppressors" so you take the black bit out and put it in the plug that fits your ears - You have to get used to not pushing them in too far but once you do that I get no ear pain - They reduce ambient noise by 24db and I use them with my communicator just fine - Molded plugs are on my list to get but have too many exhausts to buy currently :)

View attachment 33400
The tips on my ear buds look just like these and work almost as well as my foam inserts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It doesnt get much more custom than this:
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Lip

·
Registered
283 Posts
I find my plug has no effect on my hearing... However I am sore after riding with it a bit.
You don't always have to use the triple XL!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wear them almost all of the time. Being a musician, the last thing I need is more hearing damage. The noise levels inside most helmets is high, even worse if you're riding behind some guy whose idea of fun is having no baffles. I'm going to look into getting far better plugs though too, probably the molded types like cooldaddygroov mentioned. Your hearing doesn;t come back, so preventitive medicine is the way to go.

·
Registered
2017 N1K , risers, v stream screen, Black Widow full exhaust,.. lowered pegs. Led turns,..tail tidy
76 Posts
so I now have tinnitus after riding with a foam earplug not inserted 100%. Rode 1/2 hour at 80-95 mph.
The day after I started having ringing ear issues I see a relationship between the shot and people getting tinnitus. I got only the 1st pfizer, also had omicron variant bad....so who knows...Anyway.... Imperative to wear earplugs, I cant ride without them....turns out 1 of my ear canals in the size of a 10 yr old...i.e. small, I bought a box of 40 SMALL foam earplugs for this ear....works good...but the ringing is always there...oh well......ride on!!
ALWAYS wear plugs....!!!

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000 ABS
82 Posts
Occasionally I will not wear ear plugs for short, slow rides. I can get away with it on the ninja if I keep the speed low.. with plugs in my after market exhaust, I can not even hear the exhaust…just intake noise, and engine noises. With my Scorpion R-1 helmet the wind noise is real low and you can really hear the intake…But over that, or any amount of time on my Triumph Street Twin, even just idling, and my ears are ringing. Unfortunately, my ears ring even when wearing ear plugs after any ride…but they ring a lot less with ear plugs. Motorcycle ridding has definitely damaged my hearing, even with ear plugs.

I use Howard Leight Max earplugs. They have a dorky blue cord, but with out them I can not get them back out of my ears. These earplugs are super quiet, but even with them, high speeds or the Stock exhaust of the Triumph Street Twin, and it damages my hearing.

I tried some high end ear plugs and they were not quiet enough for me…so I have been sticking with the foamies.

I have never used a comm system.

My Scorpion R-1 helmet is a lot quieter than the R420, but at the expensive of less internal air flow.

If you get high end ear plugs…compare them to cheap foamies. Just make sure to roll the foamies tight and then jam them in your ears before they get a chance to resume their shape. You should quickly hear them expand and the world go silent. I see so many people with ear plugs sticking out doing nothing.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts