Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post, but i have been lurking for a few months.

i am looking into getting these tires for my 14 n1k. i see that pirelli specs a standard tire and an A-spec tire (the D-spec is for the ducati multistrada). the A-spec is a 2 ply for heavier bikes. does our bike fall into that category? no 2 up riding for me, and my loads i carry in the bags really aren't that heavy. usually just a lunch box and when i have my pistol matches a few hundred rounds of ammo and a pistol.

intended riding is a sporty version of touring. i am coming from 14 years of sport bike riding mostly on CBR 600s. my knees, back, and wrists can't handle the sport bike ergos anymore.

during my weak google-fu trying to decide on the pirellis or the michelins is when i learned about the A-spec tires.

it is going to be the 55 profile for the rear.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I've had these tires before and while they're great tires, they just don't last long. Tread wear is nowhere near what they claim (in my experience). Looking at the reviews for them on some sites, others are experiencing the same issue. I don't know about the A-spec or standard ratings but I'd put our bike in the standard rating. I'd put something a lot heavier like the Concours or FJR in the A-spec category.

My next tire will either be the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4, Avon Storm 3D, Avon Storm 2 Ultra (I've had about 4 sets of these and love them but they're an older model tire) or the Metzeler Roadtec Z8. From all the reading I've done, these are by far the most popular tires for Sport-Touring.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've had them on my Daytona. I probably would've gotten at least 10k out of the rear; unfortunately a double puncture decided otherwise. I had 6k on the tire then and plenty left. Of course it is 100lbs lighter than the Ninja. They stick very well; I never had any grip issues even with more aggressive street riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just mounted a set of angel gt's last week and they work great! I, of course went with a 190/55 rear and it does just like everyone says it does.It falls into a turn like it just lost 100 lb and holds it's line like like it never did with the BT016's. I love new tires!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pittsburgh! every road is a winding road there! I was on 28 north in rockport by the mall I was killing a rental car on the curves to the airport.. I am jealous!

Let us know what you decide on tires. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I have about 4,500 miles on my Angel GTs... I came from the Pilot Road 4s and so far I like the Angels better. I like the feel more than the Roads, they cost about $30 less per set and so far are wearing at least as well.

That said, I loved the Road 2s.... then Michelin added all those sipes to the 3s and 4s... the sipes may be better in the wet but they made the tire a little squirmy for my taste and my theory is they also increase wear rate. I guess we'll see. It doesn't rain much here in So Cal so the Angels seem to be working better for me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sprocket: would you buy the pr2's over the angels if you wanted absolute dry weather performance or would you look at something else ?

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Sprocket: would you buy the pr2's over the angels if you wanted absolute dry weather performance or would you look at something else ?
I think yes... I loved those pr2s. I liked the dual compound and they seemed to wear really well. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them any more in 190/55 size. The Angels seem very comparable. I'm down to the last 2,000 miles on the Angels and they are holding their shape well.

Reactions: GaryK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts