Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you riding 2up, did you change the passenger seat? If yes, what did you replace it with and how do you (well, your passenger) like it?

I take my daughter on rides every once in a while. She hasn't complained yet but that seat definitely doesn't offer much padding. I have the Sargent front seat for longer rides but that one is pretty slippery, so it may not be a good option for the rear.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My wife didn't get along with the 2020 US model factory rear seat. I put the rear seat of the Ergo-Fit Extended Reach seat (an option in the US) and she likes it much better.

·
Registered
259 Posts
2020 SX - pillion seat actually has a different chape with a little extra padding - Did not agree with my wife so I bought the 2019 GEL seat - She likes it better but still not perfect for her.
Part of the riding process is all "Breaking" in your arse as well - Getting used tot he position on your bum - especially on bikes where other factors like leg and foot position will also determine which part of the arse you are sitting on.

With a long history in cycling I can also tell you many times people go for more padding when shape of seat is way more important. Missus always wanted padded seats on her bicycle but I convinced her to try a seat that fit instead - Far less padding a lot flatter and she loves it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a long history in cycling I can also tell you many times people go for more padding when shape of seat is way more important. Missus always wanted padded seats on her bicycle but I convinced her to try a seat that fit instead - Far less padding a lot flatter and she loves it.
Totally agree! Shape is everything. Main problem with the N1K's stock rider seat as well. This is the first bike I've ridden that I can't actually go longer distance on without getting sore.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Totally agree! Shape is everything. Main problem with the N1K's stock rider seat as well. This is the first bike I've ridden that I can't actually go longer distance on without getting sore.
I actually don't find a lot of difference in the stock 2020 seat and the gel seat - I use the Gel seat now as I bought it for the passenger seat and the pattern is cooler :) - If you plan on riding a lot it is well worth the money going for a custom seat - What I mean by custom is find a seat builder and work with them to fix what you don't like.
Was talking to a guy the other month and the seat builder took almost 3 mths to get it right making adjustments - They narrowed this bit / enlarged this bit / added gel to this bit until it was perfect for him. Certainly better quality materials used in aftermarket seats help - I spent $2000 over the course of a year on push bike seats until I found the right one then used them on all my bikes and bought spares for future bikes :)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually don't find a lot of difference in the stock 2020 seat and the gel seat - I use the Gel seat now as I bought it for the passenger seat and the pattern is cooler :) - If you plan on riding a lot it is well worth the money going for a custom seat - What I mean by custom is find a seat builder and work with them to fix what you don't like.
Was talking to a guy the other month and the seat builder took almost 3 mths to get it right making adjustments - They narrowed this bit / enlarged this bit / added gel to this bit until it was perfect for him. Certainly better quality materials used in aftermarket seats help - I spent $2000 over the course of a year on push bike seats until I found the right one then used them on all my bikes and bought spares for future bikes :)
Yea, I modified my stock seat (rider); it was an improvement but still not right. Then I bought the Sargent for longer rides; another improvement but still not perfect, so I kinda gave up. I just plan on taking enough breaks now and avoid hwy as much as possible.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree that shape of the seat, and the support it offers where needed, determines rider/pillion comfort more than outright padding. I doubt the Ninja 1000 can have a good pillion seat as the tail section is too tapered to allow for much by way of support. It’s too narrow for a bike which is positioned as a sporty tourer. The OEM Gel seat is an improvement but more for the rider (due to rounded edges that don’t dig into the inner thighs) and not so much for the pillion. Also, the surface offers zero grip so you (rider or pillion) are constantly moving back after every strong application of the brakes. Tiresome.

This is just one example where the Ninja tries to straddle the middle ground but ends up short of shining at either end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For those of you riding 2up, did you change the passenger seat? If yes, what did you replace it with and how do you (well, your passenger) like it?

I take my daughter on rides every once in a while. She hasn't complained yet but that seat definitely doesn't offer much padding. I have the Sargent front seat for longer rides but that one is pretty slippery, so it may not be a good option for the rear.
We ride 2up often and have an Airhawk cushion for my wife and she loves it. Individual air cells that adjust and spread out the air evenly. Adjustable air too! Can also remove in 2 minutes or put on another bike.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We ride 2up often and have an Airhawk cushion for my wife and she loves it. Individual air cells that adjust and spread out the air evenly. Adjustable air too! Can also remove in 2 minutes or put on another bike.
Great idea! Do you recall what model/size you have?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reactions: InlineFour

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hi. I had a 2015 Z1000SX and I now have a 2020 Ninja 1000SX. Essentially they're the same bike and I found they both had pretty uncomfortable seats. I got an auto upholsterer to remove the original covers of both seats on the 2015, take off the original foam, replace it with memory foam, and put on slightly grippier covers. The pillion seat needed 2.5cm/1inch of foam (about twice the original depth). Total price in 2015 NZ$750/US$500/GB375.

For the 2020 I just had the rider's seat done (my wife won't go on the bike any more). This time he was able to re-use the original cover. Price NZ$250/US170/GB125. Time taken from rolling into the workshop to rolling out: about two hours.

On both occasions he trimmed the memory foam to suit my needs, which included trying it out a coupe of times before putting the covers on. Worth every penny, and I'd do it again rather than buy a gel seat, strap on "taxi-beads" or air-bags. However, the auto trimmer I use does an average of one bike seat a day and has been in the trade for forty years, so I'm prepared to complete a fourteen hour round trip get it done...
,,, plus it's a good excuse to go for a decent ride ;)

Hope this helps.

PS First mod on a bike is always heated grips, the seat comes a close second because you can't ride well if you can't feel your fingers or your backside!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The stock passenger seat is an atrocity. My wife is a champ and never complained but I knew how bad she had it. She even fought me when I told her I was going to get her a new seat. Luckily I have Corbin Seats not too far from me and I've had them build me passenger seats for two of my bikes. I pretty much had them build me a pillion seat that I would want to sit on. I little wider with way better padding, taller and slightly rounded in the front and slightly dished with a grippier cover. My wife is strong and had to use all her strength while riding with me and the boys. Now she says she barely has to hang on and LOVES her new seat. The only drawback is Corbin seats weigh a friggin ton but they will work on it until you're happy. I'm lucky to have them close to me. The only thing better would have been if they were Sargent Seats with the same level of service.

Reactions: Minlak

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Sargent does a good job of keeping their seats light. They also were amazing, with me, on pricing.

I ordered my Sargent a week before they were going on sale. I had no idea or I would have waited. When my seat arrived, they charged me the discount rate.

With this last Sargent (IVE HAD THREE???).....anyway, I decided to try the DTX cover material they offer.

It's silly, and I don't really know why, but the DTX covered seat is more comfortable and works better. It's has slightly more grip, but I really don't understand why it's a better seat, but it is.

I e mailed Sargent and asked if they had changed the shape, or seat material and they said they had not. It was the same since the seat was released.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sargent does a good job of keeping their seats light. They also were amazing, with me, on pricing.

I ordered my Sargent a week before they were going on sale. I had no idea or I would have waited. When my seat arrived, they charged me the discount rate.

With this last Sargent (IVE HAD THREE???).....anyway, I decided to try the DTX cover material they offer.

It's silly, and I don't really know why, but the DTX covered seat is more comfortable and works better. It's has slightly more grip, but I really don't understand why it's a better seat, but it is.

I e mailed Sargent and asked if they had changed the shape, or seat material and they said they had not. It was the same since the seat was released.
Yeah, I bought mine off a member on the old forum and really wanted to upgrade to that DTX cover but they want $140 for the thing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts