Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It was Chris :). I still make them, hit me up with a PM. My thread is in my signature.

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
It was Chris :). I still make them, hit me up with a PM. My thread is in my signature.
I'm sorry...I knew better than to forget your correct name.

Your covers are the way to go. They weigh less than nothing. You dont charge enough for them, the fit is perfect, and they can be painted in any color you want.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Ok so apparently with the 2019+ MY there are 2 spots where the handles connect to the tail. I didn't know that, and I don't have a 2019 to measure the holes toward the back. @Energydrinkvape is going to measure his, and I'll do some prototypes for him. We'll see how they turn out, and if they work I'll start including them for people that want to get them.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Ok so apparently with the 2019+ MY there are 2 spots where the handles connect to the tail. I didn't know that, and I don't have a 2019 to measure the holes toward the back. @Energydrinkvape is going to measure his, and I'll do some prototypes for him. We'll see how they turn out, and if they work I'll start including them for people that want to get them.
Actually, it's the 2017+ MY. I'd like some of these and will PM you my contact information.

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
The material Chris uses is some of the strangest materials I ever worked with. . It would be strong enough to make switches and handles from, but its weight is very similar to something made from styrofoam.

Theres no way I spent over 10 minutes sanding mine, before the paint was applied. I painted mine with Krylon Fusion, black.

The fit is as close to perfect as is possible. It fits as well as a piece you would buy from Kawasaki.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
The material Chris uses is some of the strangest materials I ever worked with. . It would be strong enough to make switches and handles from, but its weight is very similar to something made from styrofoam.

Theres no way I spent over 10 minutes sanding mine, before the paint was applied. I painted mine with Krylon Fusion, black.

The fit is as close to perfect as is possible. It fits as well as a piece you would buy from Kawasaki.
Did you use flat black or matte black? I don't know what the difference is but I'm sure either one is better than gloss black or satin black. The reason I'm asking is because I just ordered some myself and Chris is going to have them to me in the mail on Monday.

And what kind of sandpaper did you use? Can you post some pics of these delete kids already installed on your N1K?

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
I used the krylon fusion black paint. I think it's a semi gloss? As far as sandpaper, I used whatever I had laying around. The finish , as sent, was so good that I was just doing this for fun.

I used 300 grit, 600, and some 1000 grit between coats, but again, that was for entertainment . Post 21, of this thread, shows them installed. .....I know, it's easy to miss because they blend in so well.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Typically if I want a completely smooth surface I will put bondo filler (not actual bondo) over the surfaces, let it dry, then sand it smooth with 250 grit. Paint, wet sand 400, paint, wet sand 400, paint, clear coat, wet sand with 1000, clear coat. If you're careful you should end up with a nice, smooth finish without scratches. The bondo filler I use is just the cheap tube from Advance Auto or Autozone. It's more watery than normal bondo, easily applied with your fingers if you wear a glove, and sands really well.

rcannon posted pics in one of the threads in my signature. Can't remember which one.

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
Mine were so good that I didnt need bondo. I cant find it, right now, but I thi k you even sent me a picture of my cover "growing" , for lack of better words.

It wasnt like it slowed the process down. You sent my covers within a day or two of my ordering, but doesnt it take your machine a few hours to grown them? It's like ordering a plant.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yeah I've refined it a bit to where it takes about 6 hours per part. If I still had my bike I'd test a different material (PLA+ instead of ABS), but I don't think the temperature resistance of PLA+ is good enough for a bike that might sit out in the sun all day.

As far as bondo and paint on my end, this isn't my job. Luckily, working from home, I can run out to the garage to paint and sand every now and then, but it's still a "do this when I can get time". Luckily with the printer it's just set it and forget it most of the time.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It was very good! I'm from Brazil and I'm looking for something like that and here I can't find it... Did you produce it?
I still make them. Send me a message with what you're looking for, and I can get started.

Here's the thread with all the info on them: Custom 3D Printed Parts

21 - 34 of 34 Posts