Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
HaHa, I still get emails from members of riderforums.com asking me if I still have a set to sell. I feel bad every time, but they are so **** expensive to make, that people aren't willing to pay me $200 for a set (although now that I have had them on two bikes, I would easily pay $200 for them 'cause they clean up the tail of the N1K so well, they make it look like a supersport).

So, if anyone has some connections in China, I might be interested in working with a CNC shop who could mill these out of Delrin.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HaHa, I still get emails from members of riderforums.com asking me if I still have a set to sell. I feel bad every time, but they are so **** expensive to make, that people aren't willing to pay me $200 for a set (although now that I have had them on two bikes, I would easily pay $200 for them 'cause they clean up the tail of the N1K so well, they make it look like a supersport).

So, if anyone has some connections in China, I might be interested in working with a CNC shop who could mill these out of Delrin.

Do you have a file? I don't know any chinese CNC shops but I do know a guy with a 3d printer...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yeah if you'd be willing to share a CAD file I also can 3D print...

·
Premium Member
12,811 Posts
I agree, we need to get CDG a CAD so I can have a set of his updated covers ASAP. He can ship them, to me, COD.

I'm running out of abbreviations??.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about it and think I'll just cover the hole with some tastefully applied duct tape.

·
Premium Member
12,811 Posts
I don't blame him, and I would do the same thing.

The original discussion we had , regarding the filers/panals lasted for several weeks. He has some serious time in these.

If I bought a set, for 200, I seriously doubt he would have made 5.00, per hour, for his work. I work on an old machine that does not have spare parts. All spares are made. There's a real good change the machinist would not walk out to talk to you for 200.00. When he's done creating my custom parts, he keeps the palns, too.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Never hurts to ask. Worst he can do is say no.

I will most likely end up mocking them up with the Silicone like a previous thread, making them out of foam board, then wrapping them.

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
383 Posts
Did anyone move forward with this? Is this available anywhere? Also, other the front which these cover, there are two more square holes at the back part of the grab rails, how do you get them covered up?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Am I the only one who loves the slick grab handles on the older N1k's? They blend right in and are super handy when you're moving the bike around in the garage. They also make great perches for action cameras. The handles on the '14-present N1k's are much more curvy. Looks great! Compare them to all the other grab handles I've seen on bikes these are slick as snot.

·
Premium Member
12,811 Posts
I dont think there is anything to move forward with. We have a member who 3d prints similar pieces, and no, no one gave him a file. He did it on his own.

I dont know if this was ever a looks issue. I think its more , or as much about, losing weight. The stock bark look nice, but they are heavy. This was just an easy and cheap way to remove a few lbs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Did anyone move forward with this? Is this available anywhere? Also, other the front which these cover, there are two more square holes at the back part of the grab rails, how do you get them covered up?

On the 2017 and newer, with the new style grab rails, there are two additional holes in the tail section when the grab rails are removed. This did not exist on the older N1K's

On my 2017 I simply cut some high density foam blocks about 1 1/2" square, put a groove in them and popped them in place. Been rock solid for 2 years now

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
383 Posts
On the 2017 and newer, with the new style grab rails, there are two additional holes in the tail section when the grab rails are removed. This did not exist on the older N1K's

On my 2017 I simply cut some high density foam blocks about 1 1/2" square, put a groove in them and popped them in place. Been rock solid for 2 years now
Yes, mine is a 2018 and there are two holes.

Thanks for the suggestions, will go with the foam as well for now...

·
Premium Member
12,811 Posts
The shape of the cutouts is identical to what Kawasaki used on their er6n bike. Same as this....

This bike used the same grab rail as our original 2011 ninjas used. Odd that Kawasaki never gave us a kit to replace bars, but the er6 did.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Reviving this thread to see if anyone is still making these, or recommends an aftermarket set. I made some...foolish decisions which has left me with only one grab rail, and I'd like to drop the weight from it anyway. I only use them to put it on a rear stand every 1000 miles, which I can just put the one back on (thankfully I still have the left one, which is the one I need lol).

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I also removed the passenger grab rails have have been looking for something like this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts