Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and included in my deal was a set of the 28 liter bags, so after waiting 3 weeks for them to arrive, I went home to mount the bags and they won't attach. Basically it's as if the opening isn't deep enough to allow the bag prongs to slide over and allow the locking mechanism to attach to the port. I tried everything I could think of and then took them to the dealership and had the service dept. check it out. They had the same result as I did. It's like the grab handles are wrong. We took the bags to the show room and they slid right on and attached to the versys so we know it's not the bags. Just to double check we tried the Versys bag on my bike with the same results as the other bags, they won't lock. Also the bags they sent appear to be too low as the heat shield scrapes against the exhaust tip and actually rests on the pipe.

Has anyone else had this issue? There's no way that I can see how it would be a one off problem, since I'm guessing they machine a large number of handles at one time, so if the machine was miss calibrated there should be at least one batch of handles out there on bikes causing problems.

The dealership went a head and ordered a new set of handles for me and hopefully that fixes the problem, but if not I'm going to be irritated for sure.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The bags actually have a different fitment kit for Versys and Ninja. When my bags were ordered it's a 3 piece order: Luggage, Ninja Fitment Kit and Color Trim package. Your luggage came with the Versys fitment kit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the bags were interchangeable, but it's the H2 and Versys that are the same part #'s not the other way around. I thought I checked that, but I guess not, because you are right, the part #'s are different. So Kawasaki sent the wrong bags. It's weird that they have heat shields on them and the part # on the box and paper work is right, so I guess they must have been boxed up on a Friday afternoon after a long lunch of sushi and sake. So back to waiting on back ordered bags, which still irritates me given that Kawasaki doesn't have enough accessories on hand to match the units of bikes shipped. I'm not sure what the point of a sports touring bike is without panniers. Oh, well I have my Sw-Motech tail bag and hands down one of the best motorcycles I've ever ridden. What a great bike.

Thanks for the help. In time you'll realize I'm an idiot if you haven't already.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Glad you figured it out. And don't worry too much, everyone has their moments...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the Kawasaki rep all the bags are interchangeable and the part # difference is just based on the heat shields. That’s what I originally thought based on what I had read on a forum board, but there’s not too many ways to put the bags on so I’m at a loss. I still say I’ve got the wrong bags.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
being a new member here I hate to start asking for favors, but is there any members here that have a 2020 Ninja and the oem hard bags installed? Would you be willing to snap some close up pics of the grab handle recess, the part of the bags that attach to the grab handles, and if you can a pic of the bags just inserted but not slid to the side? I'd really appreciate it and if we are ever at a rally or a ride together I'll buy you a beer for every picture.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You might also try getting someone with previous year Ninja luggage to try and put them on your bike. I'm pretty sure that I've read something where someone's Versys came with luggage with heat shields on both sides. And don't put too much faith in the Kawi rep. The ones in my local Kawi shop know way less about Ninja 1000s than a lot of people on this forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have it. Rick Flair, whooooo. Ordered new grab handles and the bags now fit perfectly just like they should. Originally the parts guy said the handles were the same but they weren’t. Story is longer than necessary, but short story, new handles and the bags fit. Fugging stoked!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
glad this was settled up, wanted to mention that on my 2016 the versys bags worked fine, and the part # difference was legitimately the heat shields being present. I just bought some heat shielding tape and applied on the bottom, have had no issues.

The 2020 might be different.. was there a change to the attachment mechanism for this year?

·
Registered
130 Posts
@Harry Balzak, glad to hear you have it worked out. My story is a bit different. Dealer had the bike, no bags. My purchase was based on the bike and bags. Online the bags listed 'out of stock' (as they still do), various places online riders reported difficulty finding them (except for EU). Dealer parts manager said he can get them in 5 days. I thought that may be a story to get the bike sale. I bought the bike and ordered the bags from the dealer. 5 days later the dealer had the bags! A week later I returned for the 600 miles service and bags installed. Bags were mounted no problems.

Not sure what handles you are referring to, the seat grab handles, or the bag handle, but my seat grab handles were never changed. Also, there are no heat shields on the bags as required by the Versys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 that I bought factory bags for and they don't work for crap. I can barely get them on and if I get them on they don't come off without a fight. Mine have these big honking heat shields on the bottom. I bought them from Partzilla with the part number off the Kawasaki accessories page. If I leave the little plastic spacer out of the grab rail they work "ok", but rattle. So are you guy saying there the wrong ones? I think I've had them too long to send them back. I sure as heck aren't buying new grab handles!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Spray a little silicone lube in the slots in the grab rails. Mine were REALLY stiff (as you describe) the first couple times I mounted/unmounted the bags. A dozen times later they're fine. If you had the wrong rail/bag combo they wouldn't fit at all. The first time I unmounted the bags I almost pushed the bike off the sidestand and ended up using a mallet to tap the bags back out of the slot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems like I have to get the bags in the slot just right before it even wants to move forward and I haven't quite got it down yet. I'll try the silicone any keep working it. I do like the way they don't move or rattle like the ones on my '06 Triumph Sprint ST. The Truimphs were awesomely easy to use though.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It seems like I have to get the bags in the slot just right before it even wants to move forward and I haven't quite got it down yet. ...<snip>...
That too. I had luggage on my '14 so that wasn't the issue on my '18 but I remember struggling with the alignment. Just remember, tabs to the back of the slots, bag against the bottom rubber bumper, push in and slide forward.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I do have it. Rick Flair, whooooo. Ordered new grab handles and the bags now fit perfectly just like they should. Originally the parts guy said the handles were the same but they weren’t. Story is longer than necessary, but short story, new handles and the bags fit. Fugging stoked!!!
I Knew this was the reason but didn't see this thread in time. I had a similar issue on my oth. er NInja. The handles are different

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to clarify the seat grab handles were not correct. The pannier shafts wouldn’t slide into the female slots of the grab handles no matter how much foreplay was given. They fit and work great now with the exception of that cluster fuk buckle system on the retention straps. Some R&D team needs to be dispatched by scaphism. Bonus points to anyone who knows what that is without google.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts