Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking if you all might know if there’s a process to obtain a second key (have just one) and an owner’s manual for my 2011. Just picked it up. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
The dealer will sell original Kawasaki key blanks and I believe most can cut them, as well. The bad part about this is the blanks are expensive. Figure 20-30.00 for each blank.

If you order these, its a lot cheaper. They have the Kawasaki logo, its just covered up. Once mine arrived, I went to the local locksmith and he cut them for 3.00, each.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Blank-Key-Uncut-For-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX6R-ZX12R-ZX-600-636-1200-00-04-Z1000-PY/401695149875?epid=2100866224&hash=item5d86e58f33:g:580AAOSwXyBcTKM0&frcectupt=true

Same idea, just cheaper.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
In Houston I found a local lock Smith shop that carried the basic black key which I now have one hidden on the bike for a spare and carry another in pocket for a spare. Also ordered two from ebay that looks like the original and had them cut from the key code tag and sent to me. Work great and are locked up in the safe just in case. Part # kawasaki 27008-0069

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you need a paper Owner's Manual, you can order one directly from Kawasaki for about $20. Electronic editions (PDF Format) are also available from them for free download.

As mentioned above, Keys are available from any Kawasaki Parts dealer (online or dealership), and any locksmith should be able to cut them for a few bucks. Shop around for best prices.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Surprisingly enough, ACE hardware stores carries Kawasaki blanks. $1.99 and I had my spare.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's correct, RC. The blank has no fat plastic handle. Also, the keys come in 2 lengths. The short one won't work in the ignition because it's sunk in a well but works great in the luggage and gas tank. I made a spare long shank key to go in a small pocket (heat shrink around it to minimize abrasion to the pocket) and 3 short keys so I can leave 2 in the cases and keep one in my tank bag I use in the gas tank. I mostly don't pull my ignition key out.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I never thought the back up key was anything worth worrying about. That changed when I broke the only key I had while closing the fuel cap. I was close to home, so I walked over and grabbed the spare. This would have been a disaster if I had not been so close.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Surprisingly enough, ACE hardware stores carries Kawasaki blanks. $1.99 and I had my spare.
Yep, this is where I got my spares made. Cheap enough that I put spares in my vehicles as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the big box stores (lowes, home depot) won't carry the blanks, but I found a locksmith a block from the motorcycle shop, wouldn't you know they sell blanks there. It was easier than buying online for me. I know I've ordered blanks off ebay and then they were too long or something. My point is see if you can find the blank in person (ACE or locksmith) Rather than ordering and getting the wrong thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Followup: I tried all of your good suggestions. Ace hardware tried but couldn’t find a blank that would fit. The local locksmith could only produce a short key that would not work in any lock. I tried to order a blank on line- they would not fill the order because it wouldn’t fit my bike! So I went to the dealer- he had to order the blank and promises to cut it when it arrives next week. $28. Good thing i’m Retired and can run this down in my spare time. I ordered a hard copy manual from Kawasaki. Good forum, good help. Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
For future reference. When ordering OEM parts online, I would suggest Partzilla or Rocky Mtn Atv.

Partzilla currently has the keys for $13.89, and Rocky Mtn has them for $15.61. With either retailer, you shouldn't have a problem of refusal to sell you an item because it doesn't match your bike, as you can shop via a bike specific parts fiche.

Of the two, I prefer Rocky Mtn ATV. Though they typically charge a few bucks more, I've always had consistent service from them, and they don't charge your credit card until the order ships. Partzilla will charge your card immediately at the time of purchase, whether the item is in stock or not. Also, Rocky Mtn usually offers free 3-day shipping, but in the case of back orders, you do have to wait until the parts arrive at their warehouse before they ship.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
You should have pm'ed me. I have a serious number of key blanks. They are ebay or amazon. Usually less than 3 for 10.00.

If you get the blank, anyone can cut the key.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
265 Posts
I never thought the back up key was anything worth worrying about. That changed when I broke the only key I had while closing the fuel cap. I was close to home, so I walked over and grabbed the spare. This would have been a disaster if I had not been so close.
The problem of breaking off the key in the petrol cap is not a new one, and there is a modification developed by a Mr. F. Harmon for his Kawasaki Concours, way back in the 1990's.

I did this modification to my 2005 ZRX1200 successfully years ago, and I have just done it successfully to my 2019 N1K. You still need the key to open the cap, but you can close the cap without the key. Just press down the cap with your thumbs.

A full description of the procedure (with pictures) is at Mr. Harmon's website at www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gascapmod The pictures at the website are smallish, but if you click on them, they will be enlarged.

There are a couple of comments I would like to make based on my experiences.

• I found it easier to remove the fuel cap off the tank completely and work on the latch at a work-bench.
  • To remove the fuel cap, open the fuel cap like normal, and then remove the 3 screws at 12, 5 & 7 o'clock on the cap ring. Make sure you hold & support the fuel cap with your hand so as to stop it falling and hitting/scratching the tank's paintwork. The screws at 10 & 2 o'clock are just decorative and don't need to be removed.
  • Make sure you put an old towel on the work bench so as to avoid scratching the top of the fuel cap.
  • If you do remove the fuel cap, make sure you don't loose the small rubber grommet located at 4 o-clock on the cap ring.
  • There are many small parts inside the fuel cap assembly, so take care and work slowly when you remove the latch plate.
  • Be especially careful when removing and re-installing the latch throw's spring. It is quiet strong and has a tendency to want to go flying off in any direct and getting lost. No spring and the cap won't work anymore.
  • Be accurate with the 4mm measurement, and take your time filing away the surplus metal. Check your progress often. Remember, it is easy to take off a little more metal if needed, but it is impossible to put a little bit of metal back if you go too far.
  • Make sure you re-install the small rubber grommet on the fuel tank before to re-install the cap ring.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The problem of breaking off the key in the petrol cap is not a new one, and there is a modification developed by a Mr. F. Harmon for his Kawasaki Concours, way back in the 1990's.

I did this modification to my 2005 ZRX1200 successfully years ago, and I have just done it successfully to my 2019 N1K. You still need the key to open the cap, but you can close the cap without the key. Just press down the cap with your thumbs.
[/LIST]

I've been working on a mod so I could open AND close the OEM style gas cap without a key (I don't like the loose,screw type gas caps and I figure if it looks stock, no one would ever mess with it). I bought a knock off gas cap from China on Fleabay but haven't had time to work on it lately.

If you've seen this mod done before, I'd love to see how other people have done it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts