Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been enjoying my new/used 2014 N1K quite a b it and quite honestly, the seat is what holds it back from being perfect. In any case, after reading a lot of posts on seats and trying the Kawi Gel seat, which was worse then stock for me, I pulled the trigger on a Sargent. I ended up calling them and doing a custom set up by having them add an inch of foam and contouring it towards the seating area to eliminate all forward slope, etc. Hoping this does the trick and it can't be worse than stock, haha.

Best part is they have a sale going on with 13% off and free shipping so I got the seat and the rear cover for $366 which is a pretty good deal, IMO.

Hopefully the weather holds and I can get a review on it after I get it. :)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
If they have not built it yet, consider having them cover it in the dtx material instead of the normal stuff. Their normal material scuffs easy and is slick.

I have their concours 14 seat, too and i will end up sending it back to get the dtx cover. Its not as easy to slide on, but its much more durable.

·
Registered
837 Posts
+1 for the dtx cover on Sargent seats, especially if you ride in textile suits. Standard seat is very slippery.

Reactions: CRFan1

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good information guys...I will call them today! They are on a 1 week backlog. Having had Sargent seats, I can agree they are slippery!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Sargent folks are fantastic....I just called and they had not built my seat yet so they changed the cover to DTX. This will be my 4th Sargent seat and it won't be the last. Great company. I am going to be very curious how this seat turns out (I hope good, haha)!

·
Registered
280 Posts
This post has me wanting to send in my stock seat or having the Sargent I bought online sent in and reconfigured. I'm 6'1 and weigh 240 lbs so an inch of foam and removing the forward slope would probably be a good thing. Can't decide which I want to send in. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I think the base of the Sargent seat has more going for it than a stock base does. Not much, but maybe worth enough to start with it and not a stock base. I think the base, itself, holds more foam. All else being equal, its probably the one to build around. Especially if you are ordering a Sargent Custom seat.

If you are going full on custom, from someone else, , the stock base fits better. If you were going to hit me with one, i would choose to be hit by the sargent. Less sharp edges, overall, and a more rounded construction.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think the base of the Sargent seat has more going for it than a stock base does. Not much, but maybe worth enough to start with it and not a stock base. I think the base, itself, holds more foam. All else being equal, its probably the one to build around. Especially if you are ordering a Sargent Custom seat.

If you are going full on custom, from someone else, , the stock base fits better. If you were going to hit me with one, i would choose to be hit by the sargent. Less sharp edges, overall, and a more rounded construction.
I was leaning towards sending in the Sargent so I think that's what I'll do. Thanks

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Dont forget the dtx cover material. Its a no cost option once you choose custom, but its a much better material for a seat cover. I cant see anyone complaining about it. I know Kenors likes it, and hes as tough of a critic as youll ever find, with 100's of thousands of miles of experience. Thats all one needs to know.

Their stock stuff is slick. Dtx is not abrasive, by any means, but they make it sound that way.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I only know about the Sargent seat covers mixed with synthetic pants. I wear an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit every minute I'm on the bike. After a few 10's of k's of miles the stock Sargent cover isn't so slippery. I never really noticed it being "sticky" or "abrasive," you just don't get the unexpected slide from time to time. To be fair, I had it on a seat made in 1999 for my VFR. It went from a '98 to a '99 to a '99 VFR (loved that model!) and when I sold the last VFR in 2013 the seat, while not looking new had no wear spots or cracks or tears in it after >250k miles of seat time. If it fit the Ninja I'd still have it.
When you call Sargent, talk to them. The few times I have called a) a human picked up the phone after a couple rings and b) the person who picked up the phone was a biker who knew knew their stuff. The '99 call was when they suggested that since I wore textiles I might be interested in a cover that wasn't so slippery. In 2013 I forgot to ask and they didn't mention the dtx cover material and got the slippery stuff.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got my new sargent in and they did a hell of job! That extra inch of foam makes a big difference and it feels like it will be super comfy. I also covered the rear and after wrestling with it it came out good. Will post some pics later....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Looks nice. I may have to send my Sargent in this winter to get a bit more foam and the DTX cover material...

·
Registered
55 Posts
That looks really comfortable. I wasn't aware Sargent would do custom work (e.g. the added foam) like that...will definitely have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Awsome Seat

Pics of my sargent with 1" of foam added and DTX seating area. Thanks for the tips on the DTX....thats a really nice cover!
That seat looks terrific and the way you had it customized is spot on. Can't wait to hear some feedback after you have owned it for a while. I own the 2017 and I tried to add washers under the seat to eliminate the forward slope. However, the configuration would not allow for it.

Thank you

Bc2

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys! The custom work is a 90 dollar flat rate add on but they had a 13% off sale and free shipping so to my door it was 366 dollars which is worth it.

Winter is setting in here in the Chicago area but I am hoping we still get a ride or two in and if so, I will post a report. Last things I need to do to my bike are new chain and sprockets and a new air filter but that will wait until it snows, haha.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Got a price and I'll be sending in my Sargent to have this done to mine. I, too, tried the washers under the front of the seat and didn't notice much, if any, difference in the amount of forward slope.

Reactions: CRFan1
1 - 20 of 45 Posts