Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Versys 1000 & 2021 Z900RS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have owned sport bikes and modded ZRX 1200's and everything in between. I am asking if anyone has the experience of coming from a Z900rs and can compare the power difference between the N1K & 900RS . I have a 2021 z900RS and I love everything about it, other than the seating position and the actual or perceived power output.
No bike is perfect......:oops:

I also have a 2018 Versys 1000 and it has a 1043cc engine also, and when the TC etc. is turned off & on full power it definitely pulls harder and feels zippier (is that a word?) and it's a big bike. I don't want a full superbike anymore because of age and comfort needed. So, when my local dealer gets a 2022 N1 in, I'm considering trading and hoping that the 1043 engine in the N1 has a little more grunt compared to the RS. I also like the looks & features. Any similar experience or comparisons from the owners group?? Yes I'm fishing around for some additional ideas........
Thanks in advance for any insight. :unsure: :unsure:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
It depends on how you start your comparison, or how you finish is the better description. The Ninja can make more, but the stock exhaust has to go. You also end to deal with its throttle restrictions before you can access the power in low gears.
Rectangle Slope Font Triangle Plot

Here's a dyno chart where someone compared a z900 to a z1000. The z1000 engine is 99% what we have.

You can see there is very little difference. A little more low end, but not much.

The reason is because Kawasaki has always had pretty heavy duty restrictions on this 1000. The 900 wasn't as bad. The 1000 exhaust is too small, and it's ecu limits how far the throttle will open.

Both are a little stronger than a Versys. The versys has been tubed for low rpm power, and isn't nearly as restricted.

The rs version was even more restricted, according to Ivan's charts, so theres a good chance the ninja would be more powerful.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and info (y) Doing my do diligence on a bit of research. When I bought the RS, I was torn between the z900 naked vs the RS. I like both for many reasons.

I look forward to sitting on a 2022 N1 and seeing how it feels ergonomically. The RS feels like I'm riding on top of it instead of in it. I could live with it for sure, but I will check out the 2022 when they get one in. I appreciate the info......:cool::cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My son and I actually have both, a 2021 N1K and a 2022 z900. Riding them back to back, the 900 is far more flickable, and pulls much harder in 3rd, although it is geared a bit lower. The N1K is far more comfortable, more stable at speed, and pulls much harder in 4th, 5th and 6th. For what it matters, I'm averaging 43 mpg on the ninja after 4300 miles, and the z900 gets 33, although it only has 700 miles on it so far. That may be due to gearing, break-in, or my 20-year old's wrist. This also may not matter to most folks, but the intake noise is much more pronounced on the 900, which I really like. It has a really nice howel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife has a 2018 Z900, I have a 2020 N1K. The above is a good accurate description. Fuel economy is almost identical (in our case) although the N1k is a little worse as I ride it a bit harder. I can ride the Z900 faster in almost all situations except straight highway. And agreed, the Z900 acoustical engineering is amazing.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
The internal gearing , on both the ninja 1000 and the z900 is similar. Most of the transmission ratios are identical.

The final drive is different. The z900 is using a 5/44 combination and the ninja is 15/41.

With the stock power being similar, the z is going to pull much harder for any given gear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The internal gearing , on both the ninja 1000 and the z900 is similar. Most of the transmission ratios are identical.

The final drive is different. The z900 is using a 5/44 combination and the ninja is 15/41.

With the stock power being similar, the z is going to pull much harder for any given gear.
Having ridden them back to back, 1st and 2nd on either bike is a wash as T/C makes a comparison impossible. 3rd is much stronger on the 900, and 4,5 and 6 are much stronger on the N1K for me. May be due to my 230lb frame being more easily moved by the additional torque. My 150lb son swears his 900 is faster in every gear for him, so maybe the N1K is a good choice for fatties like me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Having ridden them back to back, 1st and 2nd on either bike is a wash as T/C makes a comparison impossible. 3rd is much stronger on the 900, and 4,5 and 6 are much stronger on the N1K for me. May be due to my 230lb frame being more easily moved by the additional torque. My 150lb son swears his 900 is faster in every gear for him, so maybe the N1K is a good choice for fatties like me.
Are they both stock? The Ninja 1000 is restricted power-wise in the first 3 gears in stock form.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are they both stock? The Ninja 1000 is restricted power-wise in the first 3 gears in stock form.
Neither are tuned, but neither are completely stock. I've cat / breadbox deleted the N1K and it has an arrow Indy slip (dB killer removed) on and KN filter. The 900 still has the cat, but the breadbox is deleted and it has a stupid loud shorty pipe. Kids. The ninja's soft tuning may well be there in 1 and 2, but both bikes struggle for traction and wheel lift enough to make that difficult to gage. 3rd is another story, it is definitely much weaker on the N1K. Very frustrating.
Side note, the T/C on the 900 seems less intrusive. Maybe it's due to smaller rubber and less weight, but the 900 seems to allow a bit more wheelspin. I still far prefer my N1K for any ride over 10 minutes, but I find myself smiling more on that 900.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
The ride by wire has a big advantage when it comes to restrictions. When you have it, it's easier to hide the restrictions, or spread the restriction out over a longer time.

When you are pulling a cable, you can't do as much.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I stopped riding in 2011 - My previous bike was a GSXR1000 - I started riding again 2021 there were no test bikes around and I got the Ninja SX as want to do more 2 up and touring and on paper seemed great - Not gunna lie whilst I love my bike I was disappointed in its take off - I want the power to all be at takeoff as top speeds are not my thing anymore. I kind of wish I had a test ride or was able to know what to research to find out about its limitations.
I mean the fix for it is I am just getting a second bike :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ride by wire has a big advantage when it comes to restrictions. When you have it, it's easier to hide the restrictions, or spread the restriction out over a longer time.

When you are pulling a cable, you can't do as much.
Ahhh.... This answers a lot. Forgot the 900 has an actual throttle cable. I hit some dusty asphalt during a hard 2nd gear roll on the 900 and blew the tire off mid-pull. My N1K never does that. Most wheelspin I've had on the ninja is on gravel in first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I stopped riding in 2011 - My previous bike was a GSXR1000 - I started riding again 2021 there were no test bikes around and I got the Ninja SX as want to do more 2 up and touring and on paper seemed great - Not gunna lie whilst I love my bike I was disappointed in its take off - I want the power to all be at takeoff as top speeds are not my thing anymore. I kind of wish I had a test ride or was able to know what to research to find out about its limitations.
I mean the fix for it is I am just getting a second bike :)
I'm still very happy with the bike, and I will be keeping it until we get ECU access. This can't be too long a wait. This bike has been a top seller in Europe for a decade, and those folks want to tune this bike as well. There is definitely a market for it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm still very happy with the bike, and I will be keeping it until we get ECU access. This can't be too long a wait. This bike has been a top seller in Europe for a decade, and those folks want to tune this bike as well. There is definitely a market for it.
The issue with the ECU is from the 2020 model - and there is a lot of effort and time needed to crack it - It depends on if a tuner can see the value in doing it or takes it on as a personal mission - I can't see the point of doing and ECU tune until they can fix all the things I want changed - Also Europe is the exact reason these are getting hobbled and so much harder to change :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Jaw Gesture Font Screenshot Rectangle

Threads like this always makes me think of this favorite quote of mine. :)

I have ridden all 3 variants of the Z900. I like the simplicity of the base Z900, but overall I'm most partial to the RS Cafe version. In many respects, I like the power characteristics of the 948cc better than the 1043cc. It doesn't buzz at higher revs nearly as badly as N1k but seems just as eager to spool up, if not more.

And the power... ah yes, the power. Stock, 948cc has 115 HP at the rear wheel, IIRC. 1043cc has 125 HP. Let see... what can I do with 125 that I couldn't with 115? Does it let me pass that semi 0.8 sec faster? Perhaps. Does it let me carve my favorite twisties any sharper? Probably not. It's too bad Kawasaki won't do a Ninja 900 SX, because that is what I might want.

For some, more is always more better. Me? I like reading Hemingway. I like what he writes and how he writes. I've had 190HP bikes and 25HP bikes. Sometimes enough is just that... enough. Sometimes, satisfaction comes not from having more but by doing well with that there is.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Peoples feeling, and sensations of power is what made a dyno necessary. Truth be told, the stock R 900rs does'nt even make 100hp. Cycle world as well as motorcycle.com both showed similar numbers.....under 100.

Both have also showed a stock Ninja 1000 as being in the 120-130 area. 125 is a fair number. Thats a massive difference. If someone did not notice that it would be because they
Rectangle Product Slope Plot Font
Water Slope Rectangle Font Parallel

never opened the throttle 100%.

·
Registered
201 Posts
In reality (not on paper) it's about power to weight ratio for performance. My 400lbs Duke 890 twin feels faster than my 515lbs Ninja everywhere but the drag strip and even there it's not much slower. My Duke absolutely destroys my Ninja on any twisty road below 80mph. Of course we're not comparing apples to apples.

(Cycle World times)

Ninja 1000 ('15) no specs on the '2011.00 @ 127.58

Duke 890 R ('20)
11.20 sec. @ 124.9 mph

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Naked Z900 makes 114 RWHP apparently. How Much Power Does The 2020 Kawasaki Z900 Make?

Not that my own butt dyno could tell the supposed 16+HP difference between naked Z900 and the RS and RS Sport. :sneaky: To me, the rest of the package made far more of an impression... as they should.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Peoples feeling, and sensations of power is what made a dyno necessary. Truth be told, the stock R 900rs does'nt even make 100hp. Cycle world as well as motorcycle.com both showed similar numbers.....under 100.

Both have also showed a stock Ninja 1000 as being in the 120-130 area. 125 is a fair number. Thats a massive difference. If someone did not notice that it would be because they View attachment 33041 View attachment 33042
never opened the throttle 100%.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts