Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

One hell of a ride

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sdkoskey 
#1 · (Edited)
So here's one for the story book.
From Lindale to Mesquite MEXICO, 81 miles with 50 of it on one 75mph interstate. Other then some elevation changes a pretty straight and boorish ride.
Sounds like fun right.... especially if you've made it 1000 times. NOT USUALLY.... except for I did it in 41 minutes this morning, making those boorish turns at 80 quiet exciting this time.
Youngest had his BRC this morning there at town east mall and last night loaded the truck to leave at 515 to be there before 7. His mom later wanted him to take her car because it has better visibility so he switched this morning at 5. Woke me calling half way there at 5:58 saying his E certificate and parental releases were still in the trucks glovebox. I was out of the house with sleep still in my eyes and peice of gum in my mouth at 9 after 6, and filled up and headed out of town at 18 after. Knowing I'd hit morning traffic latter on I poured the coals to it in the beginning. It was 6:59 when I handed him the papers and drove away to find some relief for my bladder. SHOEWEE.
Had WAZE running on the blue tooth and him on the phone with Google maps up after he arrived there looking for speed traps also. WAZE saved me once on the interstate which would have been at go to jail speed if he could have caught me and the kid actually saw a sherriff just a couple of minutes before I got there. Sure enough the sheriff was parked on the loop that went around the mall and could have nailed me. I think for the rest of the week I'll drive 5 under to give my Guardian Angel a break.

See less See more
#3 ·
l love stories like this..isn't it fun when you get to push the limits of one of these big bikes? As a grown up, I've only done this sort of thing once. That is, long enough to where you calculate your average speed and mpg.

Isnt it fun when you can basically watch the fuel gauge fall as you ride along..? As you were riding along, didnt you have thoughts like you wanted to run for political office so you can change the speed limit to 140? Not in school zones, but for runs like you made, or when I had to cross the salt flats?

Reactions: Avintage69
#4 · (Edited)
When I filled up to return the range guage said 132 miles to empty. When I pulled into the garage it said 125 miles to empty. I'm thinking I threw it a screw ball and its struggling to hit it.
As for running for political office.... no I think it's best i not. That low tolerance for BS I have might not go over very well. .

Reactions: rcannon409
#5 ·
I did mine in the concours. It has the live display for current mieliage. I also had the xl sized windshield, and you know how large its fairing is. Bags in place, too. Perfect fora top speed run, right? There was a section where it was possible to go fast enough to see 15mpg and a fuel light at 62 miles. I had to slow down to make sure I could get to the fuel station and not have to push. I wish I could do that, everyday.

#6 ·
Avintage sounds like an interesting morning lol, I would be like you forgot what you got to be fucking kidding.

#7 ·
@Mark59 After him wrecking before his last class, then mom putting a hold on his MC license 8 months. Fxing the bike hisself, him getting the OK this year to get his license, paying for the class his self this time, then the 2020 Rona missing that one up. Rescheduling till now and the second round of Rona potentially stopping future classes. I believe my exact words at 5:58am were "you're fucking kidding right". Then I finished waking up and apologized and told him to continue on. I'd take care of it.

#8 ·
What us parents go through for our kids lol, your a good dad.

Reactions: agurudev
#9 ·
@rcannon409 @Mark59 This is probably the longest I've ran a constant speed that high. I've gone longer distances hauling a$s but never 40 plus miles straight at 9000rpm in 6th. (Dont forget I have a 15T front).
Your right though Its strange but after a few minutes even at that speed you do start thinking mundane, and strange thoughts. Shopping list, call work, going to need a new rear tire after this wonder how I'm going to bail myself out this. LOL
I was also having to force my shoulders into the bottom of the helmet to kill some of the wind noise so I could hear Waze. I left so quickly I didnt put in my ear plugs so my ears rang that night too.
The worst part was straining to see down road as far as I could for so long, and my back trying to cramp up. Then the next day the soreness in my groin, thighs and back.

#10 ·
What is it about the shopping list? I did the same thing. The experience showed me how brilliant these bikes really were. The c14 has amazing headlights. I also had the truck drivers flipping their brights on. Whatever it was, I could see like crazy.

You have quite a few miles on yours, dont you? That night was the night my bike broke in. It had about 8000, but after that, all the things you see, about break-in , I noticed.

The song, by Coldplay just came on, on the radio. "Something just like this", or whatever it's called. I hate the song because of a memory. I stepped off the plane in Columbus, Ohio. It was 2 am and I still had a 3 hour drive to the Hotel.

As I left the plane, this song was playing. It was beautiful. I looked across the airport just in time to see a 400lb, african american woman, clipping her toenails. Shrapnel flying everywhere, and I got a full in Beaver shot. Burned into my brain, forever. Thank you, lady.

#12 ·
Years ago, I had a 2006 Sprint ST. I went on a long road trip with a friend and his dad and brothers. I left Omaha and met them in Custer, SD. We went through Yellowstone and up into Montana. On the 3rd day, I had to head back while they continued on. I got back to the east side of Montana that day (Baker) and stayed the night. The next day, I left Baker and was planning on going 1/2 way that day. Soon after I got going, I said "screw it" and decided to haul *** all the way home (just over 700 miles). I made it in 13 hours. I took all back roads through South Dakota and kept the speedo over 100mph most of the way. That's about the boldest I've ever been with extended speed runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.