Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for a long post, when I'm not even an owner yet.
Honest to god, did search this website and aftermarket providers before making this post. The problem isn't me wanting the 20N1K. At this point it's a given. I'm in knots about not knowing how I'm going to handle some of the accessories.
Basically, I can't commit without a plan.

V1K;
Should have bought an N1K instead of the V1K, but didn't. Because 2up.
Have a Voyager now. Because "reasons".
V1K is not the right bike for me alone. Because "reasons".

Questions->
Luggage (2020 specific?);
Is there a setup that works for 3 cases? Are there workable combo options? Givi/Shad top case with factory side cases? Ideally something like the V with a smaller top case (but still hard case). Don't care if any of it is Kawa stuff, only that it be a similar setup to my V.

Tank lock rings (specific to 2020 model);
I remember reading that the Versys300X tank cap is the same as the 20N1K in a thread here. Can anyone confirm the X300 SWmotec or Givi tank lock rings with the 20N1K? The thread was related to tank lock ring fit but I didn't see it end with confirmation the lock rings for the X300 work.

Hand guards;
Found mention of users doing this but I couldn't find any specifics. What guards work? Can the Kawa guards from a V be made to work?

Accessory support;
Anyone have 125w of accessories in use on the N1K?

Light mounting;
What solutions exist for adding larger lights? I remember reading here there are issues with fork mounting. I don't remember reading "why" there are issues with fork mounting and if there are other options beyond using mirror mounts. Mirror mounting seems more suited to lights like I have on the hand guards now, not something 3in diam.

Power delivery;
I'm wondering how much better the chassis and electronics connect the power on the N1K compared to the V1K. I'm around 165ish in gear. Wheel spin has always been a thing for me. The V does not connect power well for me.
Anyone rode both bikes and have some frame of reference? Should I keep my expectations low because of my weight?

Packed gravel / rural roads;
How do the N1K bikes handle packed gravel and sub par pavement? It would be nice to know if the bike is easy to knock out of shape mid corner with typical rural pavement imperfection. Can the N1K be ridden on packed gravel up to 20-30ish without feeling like the reaper is riding pillion?
I don't go "off road" but I do go "off pavement" (packed gravel roads of various quality). Much of the pavement I ride is of questionable quality (typical rural back road stuff, bumpy pavement, narrow, etc).

Thanks for reading my post.
VERY thankful for any feedback members can share.

Best regards,
At least it's green :)

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Ventura makes a setup to allow the top case with factory luggage. K109/B I believe it to be.

Ive found this bike to handle loose pack like every other street bike...... completely dependent on rider skill and not near as good as a dirt bike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No issue with fork mounted lights with one exception, I made my first brackets from aluminum and cold bent the 90, it fatigued and broke on a 16 hour day trip. I made a new set out of steel and no issues at all.

I have about 500 yards of had packed and loose rock topped road from my house to the blacktop and the N1000 feels better to me than then KLR650. And I rode quite a few miles on hard packed dirt unexpectedly and felt fine, I am a new rider too, only about 13K miles since last October on the street.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Packed gravel / rural roads;
How do the N1K bikes handle packed gravel and sub par pavement? It would be nice to know if the bike is easy to knock out of shape mid corner with typical rural pavement imperfection. Can the N1K be ridden on packed gravel up to 20-30ish without feeling like the reaper is riding pillion?
I don't go "off road" but I do go "off pavement" (packed gravel roads of various quality). Much of the pavement I ride is of questionable quality (typical rural back road stuff, bumpy pavement, narrow, etc).

View attachment 29535
That is a very nice Versys 1k.

I'm not trying to be dense but, it's obvious to me you're already on the right bike. That last paragraph you typed is evidence of that. The V1k is designed for exactly that. The N1k was NOT designed for that. If you want an upgrade just upgrade to the 2020 V1k. If you want something more capable off pavement and different, get a VStrom 1050 XT. But don't get an N1k and expect it to perform better off pavement than your V1k. Take an N1k, or any other low slung, street motorcycle off pavement and I guarantee you damage to your exhaust system, damage to your lower body panels, possible punctures of your oil pan, maybe even a bent rim. Even on so called "rough pavement" can present a big enough pothole around a bend that you can't avoid and BOOM! Bent front rim. Same thing with deep dips. 4.5" of wheel travel isn't enough headroom to dampen a sudden drop like that without bottoming out and possible breaking the bike and yourself.

I really do recommend a VStrom 1050 XT if you often find yourself in off pavement or rough pavement situations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can the N1K be ridden on packed gravel up to 20-30ish without feeling like the reaper is riding pillion?
There is no doubt, there are other motorcycles that would be better for this purpose - but I understood the question to ask if the Ninja 1000 was adequate. For me, yes. 20-30ish on packed gravel is pretty doable. You have to be comfortable with letting the motorcycle move around underneath you. I am much less confident on fresh gravel and I take that slower. Again, that's just me. I'm not answering for anyone else.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It depends on what type of gravel. Light layer of gravel on a hard packed dirt road.....whatever you do don't turn. Soft gravel (like riverbed "babyhead" gravel), God help you if you're on street tires. LOL!

I'd say light dirt or even light sand is ok on street tires. But you know how it can be. One moment it's ok. The next it's not and you can't just stop and turn around that quickly. That's probably why they created bikes like the Versys.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's a 1/4 miles on dirt/gravel to pavement from my garage, no problems. I use a Tourmaster tank bag and Cortech top case with factory hard bags.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Haha! Ok.

I've ridden my VFR800 wearing Dunlop Roadsmart 2's on dirt/gravel for about half a mile. It was the scariest half mile ever! I didn't lean the bike though and it did fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
@OCL I wouldn't argue with your results on the VFR800, or any results you have on any bike or tires. I did have a 2007 VFR800 and it didn't feel as good on gravel as the N1K, but wasn't upsetting, about the same feeling I get on the ZX14r. And, I'm talking from the point of the OP at 20-30ish mph. It does take much lean to make moderate turns at 25 mph. I actually find it more stable at 25 than crawling along entering my drive way and the car port, which isn't surprising. A little bit more speed and things stabilize, too much more speed and the bike is way to heavy for me to wrestling around like a 250 pound dirt bike (actually at my age I even find wrestling around a dirt bike to be a bit too much!!).

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just found out that a road that looks good on a map still isn't paved all the way through and had a few miles of gravel in the middle. This is my first time on a Ninja on gravel and I'd equate it to the several times I had VFRs on gravel. Steep up-hill and down-hill switchbacks were the diciest sections. Seems like more of the really loose stuff there. The worst was the potholes that were invisible in the dappled shade on the road. Had a few hard bottom outs. On gravel with street tires you steer around corners, you don't lean which is why the soft steep switchbacks were particularly dicey. That and the fact you can't keep up the 20-30 mph speed you need for stability. Gave the TC & ABS a good test.
The worst part of the whole section was the dust. Love my black Ninja but...off to wash it now!

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm with you Kenors that is EXACTLY what it's like. When I started riding off pavement just a few short years ago, I didn't realize how much I took for granted the "dependability" of pavement. On paved roads you have a high probability that nothing unexpected will come your way. Once you go off the beaten path, all bets are off. Even on semi-paved fire roads, I can't count the many times where I encountered dips or bumps that weren't visible until the very last moment. The type of surfaces that will bottom out street suspensions, break your back if you're not standing, or get you and your bike airborne in a split second. I had a friend bend his rear wheel on his S1000r after hitting a sharp pothole on a semi-paved road.

So when ADV riders spout off about the "need" for longer suspension travel AND spoked wheels, they know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted to come back and follow up with everyone. Feedback was taken in and I made some changes to my direction with the new bike.
Thanks for being a part of my decision making.

Tried to find something with less aggressive steering and longer wheelbase than the N1K. While still being in the theme of St not sT.
My wallet looks like a gravel road...
It was an unsold sitting around since 18, deal was really good but not where 2020N1K pricing would have been.
Need to raise the bars and the screen. Otherwise I'm super happy.
At about 500 miles, so far not freeking out about the gravel I have passed over.

GPZ750E2 in pic belongs to close friend. We each own two of the E2's.
Best regards,

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
64 Posts
I wanted to come back and follow up with everyone. Feedback was taken in and I made some changes to my direction with the new bike.

Tried to find something with less aggressive steering and longer wheelbase than the N1K. While still being in the theme of St not sT.
It was an unsold sitting around since 18, deal was really good but not where 2020N1K pricing would have been.
At about 500 miles, so far not freeking out about the gravel I have passed over.

Best regards,
View attachment 29776
I traded in an '18 H2 SX SE on my '20 Ninja 1000SX and am very happy with the decision. I put 7,000 miles on the H2 SX and found it much too heavy and not nearly nimble enough. I like the 1000SX much better in this regard (60 lbs. lighter and a lot more flickable), however, I have to admit, the arm wrenching acceleration of the H2 SX was intoxicating (that's really its claim to fame). Looking at your original post, I don't see where the H2 SX much meets your requirements--its certainly no Versys. I wouldn't have wanted to ride it much on gravel or uneven pavement. There are currently no aftermarket options available for the H2 SX to raise the bars except for some 0.4" thin plates sold by WebBike Japan--I put these on mine and did not notice much difference. I found the stock bars to be too low and too far forward for any degree of long distance comfort and the OEM seat was a torture device--I ended up swapping it out for a Sargent that was a lot better, but it pushed me back even farther than the OEM. The ergos of the bike just didn't work for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I traded in an '18 H2 SX SE on my '20 Ninja 1000SX and am very happy with the decision. I put 7,000 miles on the H2 SX and found it much too heavy and not nearly nimble enough. I like the 1000SX much better in this regard (60 lbs. lighter and a lot more flickable), however, I have to admit, the arm wrenching acceleration of the H2 SX was intoxicating (that's really its claim to fame). Looking at your original post, I don't see where the H2 SX much meets your requirements--its certainly no Versys. I wouldn't have wanted to ride it much on gravel or uneven pavement. There are currently no aftermarket options available for the H2 SX to raise the bars except for some 0.4" thin plates sold by WebBike Japan--I put these on mine and did not notice much difference. I found the stock bars to be too low and too far forward for any degree of long distance comfort and the OEM seat was a torture device--I ended up swapping it out for a Sargent that was a lot better, but it pushed me back even farther than the OEM. The ergos of the bike just didn't work for me. YMMV.
Of course it’s no Versys, that was the idea. Wouldn’t have showed up asking about a sport touring bike if that’s not what I wanted.

Life comes at you fast, available ABM bars are 3.5ish rise. The aftermarket while not N1K is no longer absent.
That was a reason for my considering this bike.

I’m not a track days guy. Off the track, I don’t see where the N1K brings something I didn’t get. Granted, the ABM bars are $500 bucks, but the ergos will be very N1K with those bars. I’m just not convinced I want them yet. I’m not uncomfortable on the bike.

Per a thread here, the weight diff is 30ish pounds with a full system on both bikes.
At 165, at 5’11” I fit metric bikes better than most. The weight and geometry on the new bike are likely better than the N1K when the 3rd number is lit. We don’t have 209,129, etc here. But we do have room to play so it’s a better fit for my “sport” needs.

The suspension is no less than the N1K, and it has dialed in nicely for the off track pavement I typically ride. Nobody responded to me the N1K sucked off track so I was confident this bike wouldn’t be less and I’m not disappointed.

Seats are a “thing” on any bike. Happy this one works for me. Sorry it was unpleasant for you.

Best regards,

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
64 Posts
Of course it’s no Versys, that was the idea. Wouldn’t have showed up asking about a sport touring bike if that’s not what I wanted.

Life comes at you fast, available ABM bars are 3.5ish rise. The aftermarket while not N1K is no longer absent.
That was a reason for my considering this bike.

I’m not a track days guy. Off the track, I don’t see where the N1K brings something I didn’t get. Granted, the ABM bars are $500 bucks, but the ergos will be very N1K with those bars. I’m just not convinced I want them yet. I’m not uncomfortable on the bike.

Per a thread here, the weight diff is 30ish pounds with a full system on both bikes.
At 165, at 5’11” I fit metric bikes better than most. The weight and geometry on the new bike are likely better than the N1K when the 3rd number is lit. We don’t have 209,129, etc here. But we do have room to play so it’s a better fit for my “sport” needs.

The suspension is no less than the N1K, and it has dialed in nicely for the off track pavement I typically ride. Nobody responded to me the N1K sucked off track so I was confident this bike wouldn’t be less and I’m not disappointed.

Seats are a “thing” on any bike. Happy this one works for me. Sorry it was unpleasant for you.

Best regards,
You're right--I forgot about the ABM bars. I never considered them because they were very expensive and changed from clip-ons to a round bar with a different look that I didn't like. Murphs' Kits is working on something like they have for the N1K, but it's not available yet. A stock H2 SX is 573 lbs. vs. 514 for the 1000SX--that's 59 lbs. I was not considering any weight savings by going to a full system, but it seems like that would be about the same on both bikes. What really confused me was that one of your sticking points was the ability to ride on gravel. I still have to say that I wouldn't want to do much of that with the H2 SX--the extra weight and the weight distribution (it seems to have a higher COG than the 1000SX) would make me pretty uncomfortable. Have you ever ridden a 1000SX? The difference in handling is undeniable--the H2 SX takes a lot more effort in the transitions and, although I certainly don't have the skills of an experienced track rider, I could not lean it over anywhere close to what I can do on the 1000SX. However, you do seem more interested in straight line, high speed performance, so the H2 SX will definitely fill that bill. Different strokes for different folks--enjoy your new machine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah riding on gravel was an original requirement and that's why I said stick with the Versys 1000.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Best regards,
View attachment 29776
Congrats on the new scooter!

If insurance was not so prohibitive, H2 SX would've been much higher on my list. Having owned 2 VFR1200F's, a ZX14R, and (if counting weight/size, not HP) Sprint GT, I find that larger frame hypersport touring bike a lot more agreeable. Weight is not always a bad thing, if that buys better attributes in other areas (HP, stability, wind management, and/or reduced NVH). Obviously, it's a balancing act. Go too far, and you end up jumping to the full-on grand tourers (FJR, C14, K16, etc.) Perfectly good rhyme and reason for those as well. Which set of compromises works best is the rider's choice.

Reactions: rcannon409
1 - 20 of 20 Posts