Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't used the horn until yesterday. Got cut-off by a blue hair changing lanes without looking and gave her the horn. (amongst other things) But what a travesty this horn is! It has no authoritay! It puts out this little "meeep" sound. I can actually fart louder. I haven't checked its location and I'm pretty sure I got one laying arround off an old race bike but its a crying shame that such a beautiful roadbike sounds like a kid delivering newspapers. Pretty sure my YSR50 in my avi is louder.(rant over)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I haven't used the horn until yesterday. Got cut-off by a blue hair changing lanes without looking and gave her the horn. (amongst other things) But what a travesty this horn is! It has no authoritay! It puts out this little "meeep" sound. I can actually fart louder. I haven't checked its location and I'm pretty sure I got one laying arround off an old race bike but its a crying shame that such a beautiful roadbike sounds like a kid delivering newspapers. Pretty sure my YSR50 in my avi is louder.(rant over)
Too funny! I know what you mean. Might as well use a bell off the first bicycle you rode.

The Honda ST1300 I also own used to be that way, too. Used to. It now has a Streibel compact air horn hidden inside it's curvaceous fairing with something north of 120 DB loud on tap - required a relay switch to work because it draws so much current. Only problem is that it sounds vaguely like a locomotive horn, which causes errant cagers to look wildly around for the train when I'm forced to invoke it in chastisement. Train sound or no, it works very well.

I'll be looking at a horn "upgrade" for my N1K soon myself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ordered a X1 Universal 3.5" Super Loud Tone 110DB Compact Round Horn. Be here in a few days. Heard them before. Will Post sound when I install it in a few days. $12.95 Ebay

·
Registered
50 Posts
If this is for a 2011-2013 model, have a look at Better horn

The Fiamm 72012 fits easily and works pretty well. It's also very inexpensive. I don't know how well it would adapt to 2014 and later, but suspect it wouldn't be any different.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can see that it's more compact than an air horn, but what are the other differences?
Air Horns use a mini Compressor to Power the Sound out. Much Louder Id Imagine. The one I ordered is in Route. Scheduled to arrive by the 20th. Will Post sound Difference soon.... Have Air horn in Truck will compare too also

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have an air horn and it's fine but I would have liked to have known about the Fiamm option. It may be less dbs, but it's more compact and has to be easier to install.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
I've had my "better horn" for almost a year now. It is louder, but..well......try this experiment, next ride, if you've improved the horn.

Once you get into some traffic, honk the thing. Now, see if anyone looks at you.

I've found they dont. They will look aroudn for the..whatever they are looking for...but a motorcycle doesn't make noise like that, so they look past and around you.

My horn was 12 bucks, so no big deal. I just wonder how effective it truly is.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's just anecdotal evidence, but someone committed a lane infraction, I called foul with my air horn and their neck snapped and they swerved back into their lane. I would like to think that experience may make the person think twice and look for us two wheelers.

It may be wishful thinking but the sheer pleasure of blowing a big horn and watching a person's head almost hit the driver's window was therapeutic.

Do I need professional help?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tony, its better than riding past your friends house, your buddies are standing outside and your honk to say whats up, and they fall on the ground laughing...:mad:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been looking around on some of the on-line stores like Revzilla and others but not seen these horns. Thank you for posting the question, I'll be on Amazon very soon!

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts