Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Northern Virginia,

I've been on this forum for about a week researching the Ninja but I waited to introduce myself until I actually owned one. That happened today when I picked up the Red 2016 N1K I ordered. I put about 70 miles on it after picking it up.

I'd like to post my first impressions here and they are strong ones!

I've owned many types of motorcycles over the years including dirt, dual sport, cruiser, adventure-tourer, and even a fairly sporty model in the FZ07. But I've never owned a sportbike or 4 cylinder model so I've never had a high revving engine. Wow! what a different animal and an amazing one. It brings a whole new side of motorcycling to me and I can't believe I waited 58 years to find it.

This bike is so different from anything I've ridden it was very strange feeling at first. The gears seemed so close together that 2-5 seemed useless. And I couldn't believe I was in 6th gear as it seemed like there should be 3 more gears after that. I was only doing 40 in 6th gear and the engine was already buzzing, where are the extra gears? I knew I had to keep the RPM's below 4000 for the first 500 miles but how was I ever going to get to highway speeds I thought.

Well, it turns out of course that at 4000 RPM I get to almost 60 MPH and that should be enough for break-in if i stay off the highways. But as I became more accustom to higher RPM's and with the knowledge of up to 10000 or so later and with a few spirited attempts at acceleration I started to grin like there was no tomorrow!

After I got more comfortable with the RPM's and shifting I realized how awesome this bike and this riding position are for carving corners (a term I've often read but have never experienced like this)

I can now agree with the criticism for buzzing handlebars but I can't believe anyone can be critical of how this thing handles in the turns. I love it!!! If this bike handles like this and gets a lot of criticism for it then I guess I'd really be impressed with a bike that gets nothing but raves.

Anyway, I could go on for pages but suffice it to say I'm just so happy I pulled the trigger on getting a bike like this and look forward to so many happy miles on this fantastic machine. I can't believe it took me this long to find out what you all have known for years!

Cheers,
Older(but faster)Rider

·
Registered
291 Posts
Congrats on the new bike Boss. This is a can do anything motorcycle which is really fun.

It can tour, it can track day, it can wheel and stoppie, it can city commute...etc. It really does a broad range of things quite well.

There is really no "Break In" with these engines to be honest. Your engine saw red line before it left the factory and that's the honest truth. The "break in" period is to get the rider accustomed to the bike before they beat on the throttle and went out of control. So long as the engine is up to temp and has oil pressure, there are no real restrictions.

This bike as stock handles pretty well. It does a bit better with a taller rear tire (a 190/55/17 instead of the stock 190/50/17) but if you are not a knee dragger then it won't matter a lot to be honest.

Part of the buzzing is you not being used to this bike and an in line 4. I bet by the time you get 1,000 miles on it or so then you won't notice it as much. if you still do there are remedies for sure.

These in line 4's turn more rpm on the highway which can be off putting at first. It's just the way they are. It's not hurting them at all.

many people with these bikes like a one tooth taller front sprocket as it lowers highway rpm's (at the expence of acceleration).

·
Registered
127 Posts
welcome from Wyoming.I love that color combination.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi TheManRacing,

That's interesting about the break-in. IIRC, you are a professional bike mechanic, no? So that give's me great comfort if I get a little crazy a little early. I already went over a few times today so I feel better already, thanks!

My sales guy told me of three people who drove out with brand new bikes recently wreaked them within the first few miles so I guess anything to get new riders to go slow is a good thing. So far, I got to 70 mikes without incident (knock on wood) but I already get the sense these are fun to ride fast and that's what I'll be doing.

I've read about the taller tire on Internet somewhere and that's what I'll replace it with when I wear the first one out which won't be long I suspect. I doubt I'll be dragging knees to be honest but I supposed it couldn't hurt, no?

Yes, I was expecting the buzzing based on what I've read but I also recognize I need to adjust to high RPM's to ride this type of bike so I'll certainly withhold too much concern until I have a lot more experience. I expected to be "off put" to some degree as I realize I've always leaned towards low RPM - high torque models. But now I realize perhaps I should have tried this long ago or at least am very glad I finally did. I struggled with this decision by the way but overcame my resistance by stating it as a "bucket list" item I just had to try.

It's funny you mentioned the extra tooth as that's exactly what I was thinking while riding today. I also thought, wow, the Z1000 must be crazy with a couple less teeth making the overall gearing even lower!!! I'm glad I went with the Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks landman.

Yes, I've never ordered a bike in my life as I like to choose what is on the floor normally.

But in this case I felt since Red was an option in the 2016 and all my dealer had was a 2015 in green I'd go ahead and order one because I like the red so much better. And my order got delayed a week because they shipped from the west coast instead of the East like they had promised. Not sure why and it sucked to wait but at least the weather is better now than a week ago!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi TheManRacing,

That's interesting about the break-in. IIRC, you are a professional bike mechanic, no? So that give's me great comfort if I get a little crazy a little early. I already went over a few times today so I feel better already, thanks!

My sales guy told me of three people who drove out with brand new bikes recently wreaked them within the first few miles so I guess anything to get new riders to go slow is a good thing. So far, I got to 70 mikes without incident (knock on wood) but I already get the sense these are fun to ride fast and that's what I'll be doing.

I've read about the taller tire on Internet somewhere and that's what I'll replace it with when I wear the first one out which won't be long I suspect. I doubt I'll be dragging knees to be honest but I supposed it couldn't hurt, no?

Yes, I was expecting the buzzing based on what I've read but I also recognize I need to adjust to high RPM's to ride this type of bike so I'll certainly withhold too much concern until I have a lot more experience. I expected to be "off put" to some degree as I realize I've always leaned towards low RPM - high torque models. But now I realize perhaps I should have tried this long ago or at least am very glad I finally did. I struggled with this decision by the way but overcame my resistance by stating it as a "bucket list" item I just had to try.

It's funny you mentioned the extra tooth as that's exactly what I was thinking while riding today. I also thought, wow, the Z1000 must be crazy with a couple less teeth making the overall gearing even lower!!! I'm glad I went with the Ninja 1000.
I am a motorcycle mechanic for sure, but I am for sure not the best one on earth...I have my faults like every one.

The bike saw red line before it left the assembly line to be honest. It's part of the quality check. They try and limit the rpm's so you have a chance to get used to the bike and handling before you add full power. If you are an experienced rider (and it sounds like you may not be) then so long as it is warmed up fully and has oil pressure then it is ready to be bet on for sure.

I did not under stant the Z1000 to have that much different gearing? Maybe 1 rear sprocket tooth? But I am not sure off the top of my head. I will have to look into it.

The only other thing I would mention is you said higher torque motorcycles or engine configurations.

I think that is a common misconception. If a Harley makes 80 ft/lbs people think it is "Torquey" , but if a 1000 cc sport bike makes 80 ft/lbs they don't say torquey... The higher rev range of the sport bikes and it's much higher peak hp production makes it seem less torque. But they make the same numbers, just at very different RPM's.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Welcome Oldrider... I saw that red and black color combo at the motorcycle show and really fell in love with it. Have a great time and looking forward to your posts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree Older Rider with the versatility of the bike, having come down in size though from similar HP< the bike has impressed me with its usable power.I am old school with some reluctance to rev out engines so mine has upped a tooth on the front sprocket and dropped one on the rear with an obvious extra gear, a 600 drop in revs in top but precious little change in the power I need for my style. You will soon notice how easy it is to get rid of the chicken rings if you like twisties. After changing from a Concours 14 there has been no regrets for any lack of comfort,power for touring.:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Love the bike.

Congrats on the new bike, and I love the color. I bought a 2015 N1K in Black a year ago and have put almost 5k miles on my bike. I went from a thunderbird 1600 cruiser to this bike, and this was my first bike that was not a cruiser. I wanted to find something sportier to ride, but comfortable enough to tour if I wanted to. This bike fits the bill perfectly. My initial ride home was similar to yours, although I was in the low power setting to allow myself to get used to the bike. I was blown away by the torque and revs on this bike, and I love the way it handles compared the to cruisers I used to ride. I just replaced the stock grips with progrip 724s, which are a dual compound grip, and this takes some of the buzzing out of the hands, although I didn't have an issue with that before. If I were retired, I'd be putting miles and miles on this bike with many smiles along the way. For now, I just enjoy the 35-40 miles to and from work each day. Enjoy and be safe.

Adam

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also Older Rider I fitted a Concours screen,which makes a lot of difference. The screen base seems strong enough , I've tested it up to 150 KPH.:cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks DT!

I'd like to get a top bag, a better screen, and a gps mount right away.

Perhaps some buzz solution attempts and maybe taller gearing later.

Congrats on the new bike. Good looking color combination!

Let the farkles begin. What is first on your list, a seat? ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks donfre,

I suspect I'd like taller gearing as well but will certainly give myself some time to adjust to it as is.

Would it be possible to post a picture of your screen mod? Perhaps a link to where you got it too? Did you have to drill holes in the screen to fit the mount? I am interested in modifying the screen to provide more wind coverage.

I agree Older Rider with the versatility of the bike, having come down in size though from similar HP< the bike has impressed me with its usable power.I am old school with some reluctance to rev out engines so mine has upped a tooth on the front sprocket and dropped one on the rear with an obvious extra gear, a 600 drop in revs in top but precious little change in the power I need for my style. You will soon notice how easy it is to get rid of the chicken rings if you like twisties. After changing from a Concours 14 there has been no regrets for any lack of comfort,power for touring.:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Adam,

My goal with this purchase was to buy a second bike to be completely different from the Harley Road Glide cruiser which I'll keep. This was to allow me to match the bike to the conditions on the ride I'm planning but I didn't expect to be so blown away by the great qualities of the Ninja and how different they would be from anything I'd ridden before.

Thanks for the tip on the grips, I'm compiling a list to try after I determine I can't live with the buzzing.

Believe me I plan to put plenty of miles on both these bikes this summer! For the short term I'll probably favor the Ninja as I want to get more experience for this type of riding under by belt.

Congrats on the new bike, and I love the color. I bought a 2015 N1K in Black a year ago and have put almost 5k miles on my bike. I went from a thunderbird 1600 cruiser to this bike, and this was my first bike that was not a cruiser. I wanted to find something sportier to ride, but comfortable enough to tour if I wanted to. This bike fits the bill perfectly. My initial ride home was similar to yours, although I was in the low power setting to allow myself to get used to the bike. I was blown away by the torque and revs on this bike, and I love the way it handles compared the to cruisers I used to ride. I just replaced the stock grips with progrip 724s, which are a dual compound grip, and this takes some of the buzzing out of the hands, although I didn't have an issue with that before. If I were retired, I'd be putting miles and miles on this bike with many smiles along the way. For now, I just enjoy the 35-40 miles to and from work each day. Enjoy and be safe.

Adam

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks sprockethead,

It's funny I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on this bike until I saw a Ninja 650 with the Black/Red color on the showroom floor and I fell in love with that color red. I wouldn't mind if the tank and fairing were all red too but the black/red combo looks nice too. Anyway once I saw it in person I placed the order.

I notice when stopped and in bright sun I hear a high pitched noise coming from around the tank and realized it's the black tank quickly heating up in the sun making the air in the tank escape through a valve maybe near the fill port. Right next to that port is a warning to not fill the tank too far up as the pressure will then push gas down somewhere it will make the engine run badly. Naturally I was wondering if I should be concerned about the noise but since it didn't run rough and I didn't have a full tank at that point I wasn't too concerned.

Welcome Oldrider... I saw that red and black color combo at the motorcycle show and really fell in love with it. Have a great time and looking forward to your posts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks TheManRacing,

I'll respect the opinion of any mechanic that does this for a living over my limited experience.

I'm certainly not an experienced sport bike rider and had no idea of the how fun this riding style would be. So if the intent of the break-in period is to allow me to get up to speed then I'm all for it. ;-)

I've read the Ninja is geared two teeth taller than the Z1000. I recall 39 to 41 teeth on the two bikes mentioned. donfre posted that he has raised the gearing by another two teeth on the Ninja 1000 and I admit that sounds tempting but I'll wait to see how I adjust.

I perhaps used the wrong terminology but I was just referring to how a big v twin pulls at low revs. It's a nice feeling and one that I determined I preferred very early in my motorcycling hobby over a high revving motor so I always chose that route. I'm glad I finally tried a high revving motor to see what it can do for me and look forward to riding and exploring this new experience. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain again for the next three days. I had a family obligation today while the weather was perfect, such is life!

I am a motorcycle mechanic for sure, but I am for sure not the best one on earth...I have my faults like every one.

The bike saw red line before it left the assembly line to be honest. It's part of the quality check. They try and limit the rpm's so you have a chance to get used to the bike and handling before you add full power. If you are an experienced rider (and it sounds like you may not be) then so long as it is warmed up fully and has oil pressure then it is ready to be bet on for sure.

I did not under stant the Z1000 to have that much different gearing? Maybe 1 rear sprocket tooth? But I am not sure off the top of my head. I will have to look into it.

The only other thing I would mention is you said higher torque motorcycles or engine configurations.

I think that is a common misconception. If a Harley makes 80 ft/lbs people think it is "Torquey" , but if a 1000 cc sport bike makes 80 ft/lbs they don't say torquey... The higher rev range of the sport bikes and it's much higher peak hp production makes it seem less torque. But they make the same numbers, just at very different RPM's.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts