Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders.... I have a problem that's bothering a lot. Last week I changed the oil and filter on my 2015 Ninja1k . Rode a couple days straight with no problems. Third day clutch started slipping. So, I ordered new clutches and plates. Hopped on, got on the interstate, noticed my oil pressure light was cutting on and off. Got off the E way , stopped to check oil...level was good. Took the bike back home, burped the filter again.. Light still cutting on and off...mainly when I throttle and release. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I've never herd of it before but could enough clutch material clog the filter? Possibly I guess. It cost very little to check by replacing it. I'd also get a mechanical oil pressure gauge and find what the pressure really is. Sending units do go out on occasion.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
There is a pick up spot in the oil pan. There is a screen on it. If you lost enough clutch plate material, it would be possible to clog that, like Avintage said.

What ruined the clutch, and how many miles?

·
Registered
314 Posts
How do yo burp the filter?

When I do mine, I loosen the filter as the engine is idling, when I see a gush of oil rush out of the filter area, I tighten it. I also fill the filter prior to installation. Been working very well like this.

Also, clutch slipping could be a function of inappropriate automotive oil in a motorcycle engine.

Or are you describing clutch grabbing or not disengaging when you pull in the clutch? Clutch slipping and clutch not fully disengaging are two different things but could easily be typed wrong.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Where is the sensor located.....im about to go out and pull it, so I can check it.
Lower left side of engine. See below. The Ninja has a stone simple switch. It works by oil pressing on a pressure plate shorting a contact to ground. When it's open, the light comes on. The first thing I'd check is the electrical connections. Easier to envision a loose connector than a semi defective switch with the symptoms you describe.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
If you had clutch plate damage to the point where pieces fell off, those chunks went somewhere. That's probably caused from a misadjusted clutch more so than a bad oil choice.

In order for the filter to see the chunks, oil has to pass through the first screen. Its very small, you could cover it entirely with a quarter. It wouldn't take much loose clutch material to cover all, or part of this screen/pick up tube. This pick up tube sits near the bottom of the oil pan. You could easily clog this screen and not see much on the oil filter. If that screen is clogged, or close to it, the sensor is doing its job. It's hard to have pressure without decent volume.

Once material is stuck to the screen, it's not possible to clean it without removing the oil pan. That's not hard to do. There are 15-20 8mm (head size) bolts, and that's about it. After you remove the exhaust system.

Oir bike is fairly unique in that we dont use an oil pan gasket. Any of the auto supply stores sell the gasket material you need to put the pan back in place. I used some product called, "the right stuff" and it did a really good job. Kawasaki also recommends replacing 2 o rings. I didnt have any spares so I re used my old ones without issue.

This is a normal check after having severe clutch damage. You can blame faulty sensors, or look for a bad sensor if the pressure is low and theres no reason it should be. You have a reason. Riding and reving the bike is the last thing you want to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts