Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I was questioning my sanity for changing synthetic oil every 3k miles, the next day I went for a ride and immediately noticed how the transmission shifted slicker 'n snot.

I noticed it the first time I switched to synthetic (at 3k on the odometer), big time, but am surprised that it is still noticeable, even using a synthetic (Rotella T6) that is JASO MA rated.

I've read some of the posts on sticking clutches and wonder if infrequent or non-JASO MA oil changes could be contributing. For a very thorough article on motorcycle oils see: All About Motor Oil and why the JASO rating is important for Japanese motorcycles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Amsoil 10/40 in my 2011. No sticky clutch, smooth shifting. However I do not change it every 3K...more like 5 to 6K. Too expensive to throw it away at 3K!

·
Registered
127 Posts
my experience with rotella t6 in a motorcycle was the same.it works okay for 3000 miles and then you start to notice clunkier transmission shifts.you will pay more for motorcycle
specific synthetic oils but they do last longer then the t6.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Rotella is a great oil. The issue with it is the shear strength. That is the one "weak" area it has. Most every other area it rocks. Running it through the gears is what seems to break it down. I get more than 3k miles out of it though. I basically put the bike in 6th and run it until the next gas stop. Bike doesn't need much shifting. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rotella is a great oil. The issue with it is the shear strength. That is the one "weak" area it has. Most every other area it rocks. Running it through the gears is what seems to break it down. I get more than 3k miles out of it though. I basically put the bike in 6th and run it until the next gas stop. Bike doesn't need much shifting. :)
I was very happy with the transmission before I changed the oil, and at $21 per gallon at Walmart, I'll stay with Rotella. Changing oil is therapy for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was very happy with the transmission before I changed the oil, and at $21 per gallon at Walmart, I'll stay with Rotella. Changing oil is therapy for me.
Just had my first 1000km oil change at the Kawasaki service center here. I got everything from them -- 4l of Kawasaki semi synthetic oil (~ $6/l ) and kaswasaki oil filter (~$15). The engine and transmission were smooth in the heat (engine temp reached 105C)
of the noonday Manila traffic. Looking forward to riding it this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts