Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often (mileage ) do you change your oil? Coming off the Harley, I'm thinking I don't need to change it as often?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here in India, Kawa recommends first at 1k and then every 6k kms. To make it easy, I just do it at every 5k kms interval.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My owner's manual says change intervals are the first 1k kms and then every 12k kms. That said, who pays much attention to the manual? :)
Many years ago I ramped my oil changes down from 2k miles to 5k miles. My Hondas thrived on that interval and I know because I've done oil analysis from time to time to prove it to myself. Ninja 1000s have proven to be similar. 8k miles would probably work as well but it's harder to remember when the last time you changed the oil was. It also lets me not sweat it if I have a 3k mile trip coming up and only 1-2k miles left before a change. Or decide to head off to Alaska on an 8k mile trip and not want to change oil on the way. Or if the oil sat over the winter or a trip ran through several 100+ degree days or...it's a comfortable interval for me.
One difference between HD & our engines is that the oil is used to lube the transmission as well. Between that and the fact modern oils made for cars have other crap in them that doesn't work well in bikes, pay attention to the oil specifications when you decide on an oil. Get oil made for motorcycles. And if you want dozens and dozens of responses, ask what brand to use. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
And if you want dozens and dozens of responses, ask what brand to use.
I use only Motul. Everything else is crap. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I change at 5000 miles, so 8000km.

Typically use Motul 3000 (dino oil) as it's about the same price as everything else. If I can get similar quality oil cheaper oil on sale, I'll it's in my cart.

I stay away from K&N oil filters after all their stupid failures a few years ago, but only on a couple specific bikes. Just one chance for me if you are being stupid/cheap. I seem to just buy OEM filters out of laziness to look around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have no issue with OEM oil or filter either, just wanted some insights into mileage intervals.. 5000 miles works for me. The Harley oil was shot long before then believe it or not. Of course, in the summer, the oil temperature went through the roof if you got stuck in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
If 57x said it, its accurate. It doesnt mean you wont get by on lesser oils.

The Wall Street Journal was going to have the headline " Motul is good, everything else is crap." On their front page. This should have appeared on their latest edition, but the corona virus stories were seen as a higher priority.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you want a lot of info about oil and filters that is more fact based and not just one person's opinion see:
Motor Oil Information
It hasn't been updated in a while but most of it still applies.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Anyone ever change their oil by a vehicles computer calculated oil change interval. Seen a couple of studies on GMs systems and they showed that the system was very conservative in general. Even when compared in drastically different driving conditions. Most of the time there was 2000 miles left in the oil and not once was there not over 1000 left.
I myself base my oil changes on how hard I've ridden it, how hot it's been and what weight oil I had in it.
Shortest was under 3000
Longest was over 5000
All of them were probably to soon and I'm OK with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
My 2012 Honda (car) came with lifetime oil changes, every 8k miles. So about once a year I get the oil changed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I do all the time. Every time that light comes on, I have my oil changed.

It does seem to vary depending on driving habits. Since I'm already quite busy with my bikes, I just follow whatever the car computer tells me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Use a quality fully synthetic motor oil that is motorcycle specific and the OEM filter. Change every 5000 miles. The reason you need to use motorcycle specific oil is that the engine and wet clutch share the oil, and regular motor oil has friction modifiers that will cause clutch slippage.

I like Mobil One 4T Motorcycle Oil.

·
Registered
316 Posts
also use M1 4t - I ran shell rotella once and the shifting was very notchy. I generally change the oil at the beginning of the riding season regardless of how many miles I go. I haven't been making over 3500 miles a season since I got this bike but if I hit the 5k mark in a single season, I'd change it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts