Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres an informative video that helps understand and confirms some thoughts many of us have. Especially on our tires which is the first portion of the video.
As for the weight, Hp and Tq #s I feel Kawasaki was pretty honest.
https://youtu.be/Tv97i_-V7hA

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
I like his videos. He does a great job on most everything he covers. If you go back and look at the Japanese bikes, 2006 was sort of a turning point. Before that, you had claimed nonsense like 370lb zx10's and horsepower numbers that were way different than reality.

Yamaha released their new r6, and it was an amazing breakthrough. At that point, and maybe still, it was the most advanced 600cc machine ever made. Instead of concentrating on the real features of the bike, Yamaha went all in on this new bikes high reving engine.

Yamaha claimed this bike would rev to 17,500 rpm. If you ride the bike, the tach would actually show it reving to 17,500. Of course, that was bullshit. The real number was @ 16,000 and the tach was 9-10% off, by design. Yamaha had to offer to buy back these bikes. Here was one of the press releases they issued: https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/yamaha-offers-to-buy-back-yzf-r6-streetbikes-over-redline-claims/

Since that point, most of the manufacturers have been more honest with weight and horsepower. They dont want to buy back bikes based on lies. It makes it very difficult to go back in time and compare numbers on machines sold before before this time as those are still bullshit numbers and figures.

·
Registered
697 Posts
That was about the same time Honda Motors got sued because their odometers were reading 10% high. The suit was about cutting short the true warranty period. It seems if there's money or winning involved you twist the rules and cheat as much as you can until you get caught. Volkswagon (emissions), New England Patriots (lipreading), Houston Astros (sign stealing) all come to mind... :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts