Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what kind of mileage folks are getting on the OEM disc pads, front ,,,,,&,,,,back,,. I just changed the backs out at 13,000 Miles yesterday, fronts are fine,. Does that sound about right!!

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
That sounds pretty good. Plus, pad wear is a little strange since you only start with about 4mm of pad material, right from the start.

If you add in the thickness of the backing plate, and it's closer to 10mm....but the pad material is just 4.

The minimum thickness is 1mm, so it's entire service life is about 3mm of useful lifespan.

·
Registered
256 Posts
On my 2015 I replaced front & rear OEM pads @ 18,700 Miles with Vesrah's as Recommended by @rcannon409. The Vesrah's now have 20,000 and the fronts still look good, but the rear will need to be changed soon. The rear actually gets used some now with the Vesrah rear being so good...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ill look into Vesrah's when the fronts need doing,,. Were your fronts done at 18,700?

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
The rear Vesrah pads are only 35.00....for that cost, dont even bother wearing the stock rears out.

Like Holoquest said, it makes the rear brakes work and you can feel what they are doing. It's a shocking difference.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
If you enjoy having brakes that you can feel what their doing, know you have plenty left and are a big.... no huge improvement over stock. Spend 120 over the next month and you'll think you spent a grand... and in this case sooner is better. Bang for the buck if you like it sporty one of the best mods.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
The ninja rear brake always freaked me out. It's huge. 250mm and most sportbikes use 220mm. We use the same rear rotor as a zx14, for crying out loud.

The stronger pads are actually more safe. I know people worry about locking the rear, but with good pads, there is so much more feel, you can more accurately judge when this will happen.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi RC,,,, If you see this and get a chance to comment I would appreciate it,.
I'm not quite out of pads yet but I was thinking of sourcing this Vesrah pads that you spoke so highly of, do you have an idea wheres the place to order them,.
&
How are they for durability when compared to the OEMs,,.

The rear Vesrah pads are only 35.00....for that cost, dont even bother wearing the stock rears out.

Like Holoquest said, it makes the rear brakes work and you can feel what they are doing. It's a shocking difference.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey @Lag 4 I'll chime in.

I'm just now ordering my second set of Vesrah's

I got 18,700 Miles on my stock pads.

I now have 21,500 on my Vesrah's and need to change the rears soon, the front still has some life left! By the way, my rotors look GREAT with near 41,000 miles on my bike.

I'm using the VD-355JL Front & VD-434JL Rears and Amazon and eBay both have them.

Can't go wrong, I love em too!

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
I agree with Holoquest. Durability is decent.

I can't say, for sure. The pads cost, what, 125.00 for front? 35.00 for rear..? So, oit back I will save 10.00 trying to get that last few thousand miles ...a litle more, out front, but not even close to a tires price.

Much like tires, these fit into that "safety" category. I've never ran a safety item untilmot was actually worn out. At 2mm, they go into the trash.

I'm not sure you will match the durability of stock pads. The stock pads are really hard and are made to get a bike through an extended warranty, and hopefully stop the bike. They don't want customers in there hitching about pad wear. So, they probably will outlive a performance pad, but it's not really something to be proud of.

So, even of you don't buy the front Vesrah, for sure buy the rear. You will **** when you push the rear brake,and feel it working.

Once you try them, I don't think you will care if they might not last as long, although Holoquest sort of shot that idea in the ***.,,,that's great mieliage.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree with Holoquest. Once you try them, I don't think you will care if they might not last as long, although Holoquest sort of shot that idea in the ***.,,,that's great mieliage.
Yeah, I was surprised at my millage on my Vesrah's. I'm sure I use my back brakes more now that they work so well.

I just changed my front tire last weekend and my front pads are just over 3mm at over 21,000 Miles. It's probably about the same as the stock pads millage wise because I had quite a bit of life left in the stockers when I swapped them out.

Still, very impressive pads all the way around. I appreciate your recommendation on these pads (and removing the rear spring). I owe you a cold one!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey @Lag 4 I'll chime in.
I'm using the VD-355JL Front & VD-434JL Rears and Amazon and eBay both have them.
Thanks for the recommendations and the updated review,,.
So if I order a set with those #'s they should be right "VD-355JL Front & VD-434JL" they say they are not compatible with N1K,,but work on the Z1000 and the ZX1000ABS,,..
This bike is like an orphan when looking for parts,,.
Also if you don't mind me asking,

"What was the comment on the spring",,,,.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
The pads are the same as the z, so you did well.

Back in 2011, a bunch of us hated the rear brake. I know street riders dont much use the rear brake, but those of us, with an offroad background, really do value a decent back brake.

We all found the brakes return spring to be really stiff. So stiff, it really works against you.

Some used lighter springs. At some point, we ended up removing the spring entirely.

No one jas had an issue agter doing so. When i get home, i will post the part diagram where the spr im g is shown, although its tough to miss. The master cylinder already has the return spring, so its redundant.

Typically, you can cou t on someone jumping in, who does not understand brakes, who will be worried about this. Really, its no big deal.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Those are good part numbers. The stock ninja front pad fits a ton of different bikes. It also fits the gsxr. Line up from about 2005 up until they started using their Brembo caliper. Also, it's the same pad that fits any modern zx10, pre Brembo, so there's a ton of pad choices.

It's nice thing to know because the prices are sometimes different.

The rear pad is a little more unique. Most often, the pictures in the ads are wrong, but if you order the correct part number, no problem. This pad is excellent, to. It bites harder than the jl compound. It's a few extra dollars, but it supposedly has more pad material, so no big deal.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=341_384_435&products_id=781&osCsid=7d1a9jbblcmcg8t6e4cpk85bn2

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
That looks right....and, it includes everything. Not a bad price, either. No more expensive than ebc, and it's easily twice the pad.

EBay a great source for the Vesrah pads. I order from eBay unless I want some different compound and then I'll go with curvy girl..which looks awesomem on the checking accout statement.....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do they look OK

Hi Was planning on ordering these today, they keep coming up as not compatible with the N1K
and the Z1000 newer then 2013 however they are showing the corresponding part number referred to in this thread,,.

Do they look OK?
Material: Sintered Copper Alloy Placement on Vehicle: Both front calipers and the rear caliper Brand: VESRAH

Country of Manufacture: JAPAN Manufacturer Part Number: VD-355JL, VD-434JL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts