Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Use glue. If you dont, they can break loose when they get hot. Especially if water is involved. Some people skip the glue part. That works well, until it doesn't.
<snip>
Curious. I haven't used glue in forever. A bit of softsoap in a cup of water to get the grip to slide on and that's it. After a day to dry the grips have never moved, heated or not. Never had a grip slide or move in any way even after wearing the entire surface off.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Kenors, I know. I know....it might just be a me thing? Also, on a streetbike, it isnt a huge deal. The grip wont slide past the switches, or over a bar end. If it does break loose, it can only spin. If he doesnt use glue, this job becomes MUCH easier. Why not try it, without glue? Go back and glue them if you are someone , like me, who trashes grips?

A lot of people, or maybe even most people dont use glue. For whatever reason, I beat the crap out of my grips. I've done this since i was a little kid. Last year, i had to replace the left grip on my c14. Oxford sells left or right grips. I had to change it because i turned it into a two piece grip. I separated the inner and outer, while i was riding. I thought the adhesive had failed, but it didnt. With hot grips, I dont use much glue since rhe body of the grip is strong. I use glue on the section that's near the switches so it doesnt get scraped anywhere it shouldn't be.

If there was a secret in any of this, it was being able to set the grip to "high" before trying to slide it into place. That made everything else easy. The first time I tried to do this, the oxford grip fit so tight it was hard to slide on to the bar.

The e 6000, or shoe goo was also easy to clean from the outside of the grip, or the edges, if some happens to get where you dont want it to, as long as you catch it early.

It's a good project to do yourself. When you are done, you know how they hook up and would be able to troubleshoot your electric work if you ever needed to.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
315 Posts
So, I decided to give it a try myself. Not really hard, but I may have made a mistake. The lights on the switch came on just fine after connecting everything, but after assembling the bike, it doesn't work, even after starting up.The only things that I can think of are that a connector wasn't completely connected and was bumped loose. The other is that it's warm here and I think there is a temperature mechanism in the controller to prevent it from being used above a certain temperature. I'm going to wait till it cools down tonight and see what happens. If still doesn't work, back to square one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
All you guys talking about heated grips and the temperature here in the high country often falling below freezing and me becoming a wimp in my old age, I ordered a set of OEM's which arrived yesterday. Should be able to get down and pick them up hopefully this coming week.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I installed my grip with no glue or anything else. I helped HouTex and we could not get them all the way on dry. So we used a slight amount of detergent and they are fine.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Good job, Night Train. Do you like them?

In the old days, hairspray was a good grip glue. They sold one called "Aquanet". It was cheap and sticky. I stopped doing that after I tried this on a set of Renthal, soft grips.

I gave them 2 sprays, and the grip disappeared. It would have been a good magic trick. It might have started smoking, too, but something in the hairspray reacted and it wasnt in a good way.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
315 Posts
Good job, Night Train. Do you like them?

In the old days, hairspray was a good grip glue. They sold one called "Aquanet". It was cheap and sticky. I stopped doing that after I tried this on a set of Renthal, soft grips.

I gave them 2 sprays, and the grip disappeared. It would have been a good magic trick. It might have started smoking, too, but something in the hairspray reacted and it wasnt in a good way.
Yeah, they felt nice. I can't wait to try them on a cool day. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Made the 570 km round trip to the dealer yesterday for the OEM heated grips. return trip low temperature was only 5*c, and the grips felt good. Now I have to get used to setting them to the heat level I want!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts