Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a new N2020 rider from Belgium. I have the bike for 6 months now and I absolutely love it. I bought it with the touring pack, and now is about the time where the heated grips come into play. But I have some questions:
  • They don't heat up as hot as my previous grips. On highway speeds, its not even noticable they are on (anybody has experience with this?
  • The settings have a one / two /three blink, but I don't seem to notice a difference in heating. Is one the high (hottest) setting or is it three?
  • Has anyone considered windcaps for hand protection? Would the versys 1000 hand guards fit the N2020?

Kind regards and thanks.

Mrk

·
Registered
924 Posts
Can't help with the the heat settings but I have Barkbuster Storm S7 on my 2018 and I like them a lot in cold rainy weather. Single point mounting on the bar end bolts that hold the bar weights on so they're fairly universal. On the '18 (and '11 and '14). There's a slight mirror interference but adding extenders fixed most of that.

Reactions: Night Train and Mrk

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
  • Keenors, those grips you have...they have the heat pads under them, dont they? The bike looks excellent, by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kenors, much appreciated. Will look into those. Do they work well during winter?
Regards,
Mrk

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thanks Kenors, much appreciated. Will look into those. Do they work well during winter?
Regards,
Mrk
That was my big surprise, although, it probably shouldn't have been. I put them on because of a serious bruise on my little finger from a triple digit tiny stone?, piece of gravel? on the little finger. But for winter riding it keeps direct wind blast off the hands which makes a big difference in how well the grip heaters work. And, they even help a lot in keeping the hands a lot drier in the rain. I find myself wearing my favorite thin leather gloves in far worse weather than I used to.

And RC, yes, these are the gel progrips I like covering the dual-star grip heater elements. BTW, you probably ought to just call me Ken. :)

Reactions: Mrk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx for the Info Kenors. I will check with my local dealer if they can install versys guards, ( this will match my colorscheme). Much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Ken, your name has always been a problem. I've erased "Lenora" several times from the memory, but it still comes back....I think you are right. Ken might be better!

I like the grips you have much better than the oxfords I have.

·
Registered
Ninja 1000SX 2020 and 3xZ900 :)
40 Posts
  1. They don't heat up as hot as my previous grips. On highway speeds, its not even noticable they are on (anybody has experience with this?
  2. The settings have a one / two /three blink, but I don't seem to notice a difference in heating. Is one the high (hottest) setting or is it three?
1. Maybe you are wearing very thick and well insulating gloves? Try testing without any.
2. Motorcycles come with user manuals. 3 blinks is the highest heater power. This is what you get by default after the first click on the button. Further clicks reduce power to 2 and 1, then turn them OFF.

Mine are working just fine and I sometimes switch from 3 to 2, as my palms are sweating too much. Tested in a heavy rain at +5 Celsius.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Marco,
Thanks for the info. This is not provided in my manual (even checked it again, but no info on accecories). Much oblged. I did swap to my wintergloves so I will do a test ride with my summer gloves. Definitely getting handguards fit like Kennors, should prolong my riding time with a couple of months. Thanks again.
Mrk

·
Registered
Ninja 1000SX 2020 and 3xZ900 :)
40 Posts
I don't know, maybe they are faulty or faulty mounted. Didn't you think to turn them on while the bike is parked, and test the heater with bare hands? I would do that firsts if felt no effect/difference in gloves on 3-2-1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all, I am a new N2020 rider from Belgium. I have the bike for 6 months now and I absolutely love it. I bought it with the touring pack, and now is about the time where the heated grips come into play. But I have some questions:
  • They don't heat up as hot as my previous grips. On highway speeds, its not even noticable they are on (anybody has experience with this?
  • The settings have a one / two /three blink, but I don't seem to notice a difference in heating. Is one the high (hottest) setting or is it three?
  • Has anyone considered windcaps for hand protection? Would the versys 1000 hand guards fit the N2020?
Kind regards and thanks.

Mrk
I'm about to install OEM kawasaki heated grips system, I will let you know how they are. Kind of depends on what gloves you wear. I never considered wind caps, but I'm sure you can find some to install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm about to install OEM kawasaki heated grips system, I will let you know how they are. Kind of depends on what gloves you wear. I never considered wind caps, but I'm sure you can find some to install.
I installed OEM kawasaki heated grips and they are excellent, I do actually have to turn them down to middle, I can't handle the high heat. It's really good, it is easily one of the best mods you can add to the ninja 1000.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have found one quirk with mine. When turning them on it's really easy to go to the medium or even low setting when you think you have just turned it to the high setting. I have to be sure to give it a very quick tap. And in any traffic at all it's a challenge to watch how many times it's flashing without risking running into someone. Set correctly they work great though.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
9 Posts

Kind regards and thanks.

Mrk
I have owned my N1K for 3 months, and it took me a while to work out the settings. I think you might be pressing the on/off button once, which defaults to the lowest temperature setting. When pressing the button, you should see the light flashing in yellow. The number of flashes indicates the setting. You'd have to press the button again and then the yellow light would flash two times. Another press, and you should get three flashes. In any case, leaving the button alone for about 10 seconds causes the current setting to be used - light turns to steady green.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
321 Posts
For those of you who have installed it yourself, would you install it yourself again or have the shop do it?
I've made an appointment next week, but feel tempted to do it myself . It's not a major step but I don't have compressed air, so I don't think I can get the grips off easily .
I've mostly done my own work on bikes, but I've come to recognize I couldn't make a living at it. LOL

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
The stock grips really are not worth trying to save. If you needed to buy new ones, they might cost 20.00. With that in mind, just cut them off.

The heated grips will slide right on if you do the wiring first. Get them hot, add the glue, and go for it.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
321 Posts
The stock grips really are not worth trying to save. If you needed to buy new ones, they might cost 20.00. With that in mind, just cut them off.

The heated grips will slide right on if you do the wiring first. Get them hot, add the glue, and go for it.
Thanks! Makes sense, I might give it to this weekend.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Use glue. If you dont, they can break loose when they get hot. Especially if water is involved. Some people skip the glue part. That works well, until it doesn't.

When I apply the glue, dont use very much. 2 or 3 drops, and spread it thin, inside the tube. If you do it's easy to scrape it between the throttle tube and the handle bar. No big deal to clean this out, if you do, but it's a pain. Once the grips are on, I turn them on high for a few minutes to help the glue dry.

I like "shoe goo" like they sell at wal mart, or e 6000. I'm tough on grips. I'll break superglued grips, every time. Both of those glues give some time to rotate the grip before they lock up so you can position your grip wires. This is nice because you dont want the wires covering the horn or start switch.

Really, there isnt much else. If you want to save your stock grips, sometimes you can get those loose with a small screwdriver. I've shot windex inside of them, too. Just rotate it between the grip and bar.

I think you have oem heated grips? The Inside of the oxford grips is pretty rough. I rough that surface up and remove the defects before installing. Get a rough idea if where you want the throttle side to enough. Both sides, really. Make sure its not slid on too far or it drags the housing and the throttle wont return.

Also, keep in mind the bar end is going back on, too. You dont want it smashing the end of the grip if it's not on far enough.

If you need to cheat because the grips are long, you can add flat washers between the bar end and bar to space them out some.

As always, YouTube has some good info.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
321 Posts
Use glue. If you dont, they can break loose when they get hot. Especially if water is involved. Some people skip the glue part. That works well, until it doesn't.

When I apply the glue, dont use very much. 2 or 3 drops, and spread it thin, inside the tube. If you do it's easy to scrape it between the throttle tube and the handle bar. No big deal to clean this out, if you do, but it's a pain. Once the grips are on, I turn them on high for a few minutes to help the glue dry.

I like "shoe goo" like they sell at wal mart, or e 6000. I'm tough on grips. I'll break superglued grips, every time. Both of those glues give some time to rotate the grip before they lock up so you can position your grip wires. This is nice because you dont want the wires covering the horn or start switch.

Really, there isnt much else. If you want to save your stock grips, sometimes you can get those loose with a small screwdriver. I've shot windex inside of them, too. Just rotate it between the grip and bar.

I think you have oem heated grips? The Inside of the oxford grips is pretty rough. I rough that surface up and remove the defects before installing. Get a rough idea if where you want the throttle side to enough. Both sides, really. Make sure its not slid on too far or it drags the housing and the throttle wont return.

Also, keep in mind the bar end is going back on, too. You dont want it smashing the end of the grip if it's not on far enough.

If you need to cheat because the grips are long, you can add flat washers between the bar end and bar to space them out some.

As always, YouTube has some good info.
Thanks RC. I got the package today and it's a bit of a process, I see. They are OEM. I will go with your recommendation if I keep up the confidence to do it. If it's not done by Sunday, I will bring it to the dealer on Thursday when I have the appointment. But, I'd rather save the money and have the pride of doing it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts