Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm OCD'ing over rear tires and I don't know why. Something about big behinds that turn me on. LOL!

I look at other people's rides and check out their rear tires. Consistently, the Dunlops always look bigger. I swear up and down their 180/55 rears look almost as big as other brand's 190/50 rear! Anyone else notice this? I measured the rear tire width and the Dunlop RS3 190/55 were easily over 1/2" wider than the Continental Attack 1.0. It doesn't show it well in the pictures but in person it's quite noticeable.

So on my 2018, I installed Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and they now have 4k miles F&R. The rear looks like it has another 1k miles of life left. The front tires are at their wear bars. Fortunately, the wear is even and not triangulated. I only ride my 2018 mostly in the canyons, but there is a lot of freeway in between. Not too bad.

On my older '12 N1k, it hasn't been good to its tires. The last set were Continental Attack 1.0's. These were old school sport tires and the rear tire only lasted 3k miles before it was toast. The front looked like it had another 1k miles on it, with some light triangulation. I could feel the steering needing constant pressure to maintain an arc. I replaced them with the proven Dunlop Roadsmart 3's.

Here is a the Continental Attack 1.0 rear when it was new.
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Here's the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's now.

If memory serves, the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's steer a bit quicker than the Continental Attack 1.0 and much more neutral. I'm really liking the Dunlops. I've tried the Michelin Pilot Road 5's...they were ok. But I felt like the steering was slower.

Here's another shot of the RS3's....baby's got back! With a fat rear tire like that, you don't need a fender eliminator! LOL!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I love my Dunlop Q3+s!!! I ran them on my N1K and now my N300. With a good mix of city, interstate and twisties, I got 6000 miles on a set on the N1K; interestingly, the N300 gets the same. I expected longer tire life on a lighter, less powerful bike. However, given that it's really the world's only NINJA 3000 (pics don't lie!!:wink:), it has a 300cc engine with a 3000 attitude, so that might explain it.:devil:

https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/attachments/ninja-1000-general-discussion/27218d1574224643-insurance-cost-2620594.jpg

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm OCD'ing over rear tires and I don't know why. Something about big behinds that turn me on. LOL!
You need a license plate frame like a buddy of mine had on his ZX10.

DOES THIS TIRE MAKE

MY BUTT LOOK FAST?

Gotta admit, after a lot of years as a Michelin Pilot Road fan, Dunlop RS3's work better for me on the Ninja.

Reactions: Janek

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL! I like that license plate Kenors! I'll look it up.

Bazininja, your 300 does indeed look like an N1k in that picture!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bazininja, your 300 does indeed look like an N1k in that picture!

Yeah, it's really turned into a mini-version of my N1K for the most part. At first glance, everybody thinks it's at least a 600; there's nothing on it that says 300. Some differences: The windscreen is non-adjustable; I had to settle for a BrakeAway throttle lock because it was likely too small for my salvaged MCCruise; I had to lower the pegs AND add the Akra (unbelievable, given my 28" inseam--didn't realize how stretched out I was on the N1K and the NT700V before it); soft side bags--but I got a tip on a hard bag that will fit it. Dunno if they'll work with my top case, plus they're smaller since they're not expandable. Sure wish there was a way to make the N1K bags fit it. Well, maybe some winter when I don't have anything better to spend my time and money on--unless I make the jump to a ZX25R!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I love the performance of the Q3 Plus tires, but on my N1K They only last about 1700 miles before the rear is shot.

The Roadsmart 3 is probably my overall favorite tire with a good balance of performance and tire life. They have similar handling characteristics of the Q3 Plus, wear very evenly and return good mileage. Excellent dry grip for the sport touring class.

Reactions: Janek

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
I love that stiff feel of the q3+. The agt2, light truck spec I have on my 14 feels the same way. I wont buy any different brands unless they have that feel. Then again, I may never get that q3 off the rear of my ninja. My god was it difficult to mount.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I love that stiff feel of the q3+. The agt2, light truck spec I have on my 14 feels the same way. I wont buy any different brands unless they have that feel. Then again, I may never get that q3 off the rear of my ninja. My god was it difficult to mount.
Interesting. One of the first things I noticed about the RS3 was it feels softer than than Pilot Road series. A much more comfortable ride. Then again, you've put a lot into your suspension and mine is stock. Probably makes a heck of a difference. Must be why there are so many different kinds of tires....

·
Registered
599 Posts
For outright performance, mileage be damned, the best tire I have ever ridden on the street is the Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2, ( not to be confused with the regular Rosso ). The front tire feels like an outright race tire and drive grip from the rear is ridiculous. But by 1400 miles the rear was shot, and they are expensive. For that reason I would buy the Dunlop Q3 Plus instead.

·
Registered
960 Posts
For outright performance, mileage be damned, the best tire I have ever ridden on the street is the Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2, ( not to be confused with the regular Rosso ). The front tire feels like an outright race tire and drive grip from the rear is ridiculous. But by 1400 miles the rear was shot, and they are expensive. For that reason I would buy the Dunlop Q3 Plus instead.
Just driving your thumbnail into the side compound of a rear Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2 is like pushing on a gummy bear. :smile_big: I'd like to try a set (and I still might) but with the new M9RR's coming out, I just have to try those first.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replacing tires every 3k miles kind of sucks. Replacing every 2k miles sucks more.

I've tried the Pirelli SC2's on my previous Buells. Yeah they are awesome. In the same vein as the stickest Dunlops and Bridgestones. And they all last about as long. If I rode hard enough, like regular track riding I think would go with tires like those. But with my type of riding...commuting in freeways, canyons and mountains with lots of highway in between,...nah. Sport-touring tires are much better suited.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Replacing tires every 3k miles kind of sucks. Replacing every 2k miles sucks more.

I've tried the Pirelli SC2's on my previous Buells. Yeah they are awesome. In the same vein as the stickest Dunlops and Bridgestones. And they all last about as long. If I rode hard enough, like regular track riding I think would go with tires like those. But with my type of riding...commuting in freeways, canyons and mountains with lots of highway in between,...nah. Sport-touring tires are much better suited.
No kidding, 15 tire changes a year would put me in the poorhouse and keep the bike off the road way too long.
One of my friends up here tried them and said for our roads they weren't very good because everything stuck to them. Between the dust, grime, pine needles and general grime on the roads they built up a layer of crud that made them untrustworthy. Loved them as track tires but not so much for the street. The gummy bear analogy was exactly what I was thinking when I touched them. They are sticky!

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Kenors, when they released the concours 14, in Europe, it was late 2007. They called it the gtr1400. They talked about how it was designed for the German highways.

Part of that was a special front tire. To cope with the speeds, the suspension needed to be stiff. They made a soft tire to help it not feel so stiff. Sadly, the tire felt as bad as what we got with our Ninjas, but the thought was there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Motorcycle tires have come a long way and whatever you choose from the sport or sport touring class of tires from any of the major brands, you will get excellent performance. The Michelin Pilot Power tires that came out around 2003 ~ 2004 were sort of a game changer and since then tires have only gotten better. What we have available to us now is pretty amazing when you think about it

I love the feel and performance of the Q3 Plus, but don't like replacing tires often and the cost involved, so I buy them when Dunlop has a rebate. Otherwise I run the Roadsmart 3 which in my humble opinion is the most sport oriented tire in the sport touring class, and delivers decent mileage. I am tempted to try the M9RR......maybe on my Tracer GT.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My rear tire is toast after a spirited ride in the twisties yesterday, so I'm this afternoon to have new set put on. Merry Christmas to me!

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
My rear tire is toast after a spirited ride in the twisties yesterday, so I'm this afternoon to have new set put on. Merry Christmas to me!
New tires on the 3000, Its great to hear your liking the new bike Baz.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Switched finally to the RS3's after several sets of hyper sports mainly due to the fact that they actually put some tread on the tire when compared to Michelin power 3's and the S21's, value isn't everything however they seem to handle pretty well so will see how they wear in the long run,,. It seems chasing the latest greatest tire on the market can be an expensive affair!

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Kenors, maybe that's it? With the suspension system working better, a person might not need as much compliance from the tires?

Do you guys mount and balance your own tires? I still dont have enough swear words to describe mounting the q3+. George Carlins 7 dirty words are not enough. I like them, and I'll buy them again if I am able to remove the ones I have. Maybe I can do re-caps?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts