Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm new here but not to the Ninja1000... About a year ago this time I picked up a barely used 2013 Green Ninja 1000 that sadly met its demise after we collided with a tree avoiding a deer in the road last fall. The bike was probably repairable, but without knowing the condition of the electronics (due to a lot of crushed wiring in the front end of the bike) I decided to part with it. Thank goodness for gear and modern medicine... Ended up with a couple herniated disks in my neck that finally were relieved via an injection.. Lets hope it lasts, but so far so good... The one good thing was that all the goodies that were on the bike when I bought it (such as the full exhaust) I was able to replace with stock before it went, since insurance (Geico) wasn't going to give me beans for them.

So I ended up finding a brand new White 2013 Ninja 1000 within a month or so of the accident for less than 8k out the door... What a steal for a new bike IMO. I have so far put about 500 miles on it, since the neck was still an issue in the fall, and the weather hasn't been too great here so far this year. (not to mention life being busy)

I plan to take it to the dyno first in stock form and then as time allows I'll get all the parts installed on it, along with getting the ECU flashed by Ivan. Then I'll go back to the dyno to see where it stands. For $30 bucks, and giving a local guy some business, I think its worth it.

So far I've managed to get the tail tidy and integrated tail light on, and in the dealer showroom I put Baldwin seats on! haha, the guys in the dealership had a good laugh. Next up is getting the SW Motech top case brackets on - which is all sorts of fun if you don't want to keep the stock rear fender.

Here she is from last fall on one of the 2 rides I managed to take her out on (one home from the dealer and the one chance my neck gave me in the fall)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Sorry to hear about your deer and tree incident. Glad to see you're still riding though! I truly loathe deer. If I'm ever in that situation, I'm just going to roll the dice and nail the deer. Bike and rider will get messed up either way, so might as well make it worth my while, and hopefully lead to one less deer on the roads, lol.

Great looking Ninja, and a **** good deal you got there! You'll love the Ivan ECU flash, I can promise you that. Ivan should just work with Kawi dealers, and make it a factory-style option right then and there, lol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was a huge bummer. I really loved the green/black combo from that year and specifically hunted a used one down that had that color scheme. I'll be doing up a headlight too as soon as I get all the parts - the biggest factor in the incident was that it was dark and in a curve. The headlights on these bikes are truly horrid and I will be addressing that!

And yeah - I've ridden a Z that was flashed, I can't wait lol

Reactions: novaks47

·
Registered
828 Posts
Welcome! Glad you are doing better. Hopefully you'll heal well enough so no long term issues. Hopefully the stock bars won't bother your neck when riding.

Definitely git rid of the stock lights ASAP. They were the worst I've experienced in recent memory and even thinking further back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome! hopefully the neck heals up well. Good luck on the new Ninja ( I really like the white!)

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Welcome, glad you decided to ride again i dont know if id want to get back on a bike if i was in a bad accident, the main thing was you made it through to ride another day, enjoy that new bike.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks - the way I look at it, I could get rear ended by a truck going 40mph while stopped at a stoplight in my car and get hurt. Riding has its risks, but if you ride smart you can lessen the risk a lot IMO. In over 50k miles of riding, that was the first incident like that I've had :) Not that there haven't been close calls, but most were a situation I put myself in.

The white is def nice, but I still miss my green. Part of me wants to find a green tail fairing and put that on in place of the white.

As for the bar position, so far, with a new Bell Star lid which is a bit lighter than my old helmet, my neck has been ok. I haven't done any all day riding, but I've spent an hour and a half on it at a click a couple times and no issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed though!

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Welcome Steve. The white and black looks really cool. I wish they still made that colour scheme.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome Man - God I wish they still offered the White/Black color!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Welcome ScubaSteve. Sorry to hear about your accident. From your description it sounds like you spent some cash on some good safety gear (body armor?). It's certainly come a long way from the single layer of leather that used to be state of the art MC safety gear.

Best wishes for a complete recovery, and glad to hear you are still riding. Welcome to the N1K forum.

Yeah! Easier to impersonate a Law Enforcement Officer :D

But seriously, the white/black really does look slick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome! I am a member of the deerslayer club as well. Happened a few years back in Arkansas on my Aprilia Tuono. Deer died, I survived! I added Murph's risers and peg lowering blocks on my N1K for comfort. Might help for your neck too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome Steve. The white and black looks really cool. I wish they still made that colour scheme.
Yeah - I had the choice too, I could have gotten the same color scheme as my original one (were a couple 2013 leftovers around), but figured I had to change it up. I like the black and white too, its def a nice color combo!

Welcome ScubaSteve. Sorry to hear about your accident. From your description it sounds like you spent some cash on some good safety gear (body armor?). It's certainly come a long way from the single layer of leather that used to be state of the art MC safety gear.

Best wishes for a complete recovery, and glad to hear you are still riding. Welcome to the N1K forum.

Yeah! Easier to impersonate a Law Enforcement Officer :D

But seriously, the white/black really does look slick.

Thanks! I wasn't real geared up, as I wasn't out to do any serious corner carving, but I was wearing my leather gauntlet gloves, leather jacket and helmet. The jacket saved me from getting scraped up good on my left side which impacted the tree to some degree. Helmet saved me from getting poked in the eyes by the brush and tree branches. Gotta wear some gear, I never ride without a jacket gloves and helmet. I don't know how people can feel comfortable riding without gloves and the helmet TBH.

This is the jacket I wear for the warmer weather: http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/jackets-vests/motorcycle-jackets/scorpion-exo-clutch-leather-jacket. The one I have is the color thats in the vid. Awesoem jacket, I like it a lot and it wasn't even marked where I contacted the tree. Same couldn't be said for my ribs, but that was just bruising.

Welcome! I am a member of the deerslayer club as well. Happened a few years back in Arkansas on my Aprilia Tuono. Deer died, I survived! I added Murph's risers and peg lowering blocks on my N1K for comfort. Might help for your neck too.
Unfortunately, for me, I missed the deer and ended up having to make the claim on collision as opposed to comp, not to mention the claim making my rates go up... So basically it cost me a good chunk in medical with all the co-pays and dr visits, er visit etc, plus the deductible on the insurance. Thankfully I had bought the bike for a song, so I got about 1000 more for it than I paid, which made the deduct a wash. In my case, I was entering a decreasing radius right hand blind turn, it was dark, and the headlights are bad enough, let alone in a turn... The deer was basically standing in the middle of the road and when it started moving in the direction I picked, I stood the bike up and braked as hard as I could before what I thought would be an easy laydown in the grass. I thought I might even get it stopped before the grass since there was actually a good amount of runoff but my depth perception at night is not very good it seems. Unfortunately, there was an 8" rise into the grass which lead to a 15ft flight through the air dirtbike style and ended up half riding into the woods with it, and subsequently the tree. Thankfully I was barely on the bike when it hit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts