Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled the trigger on a low mileage 2012 n 1000, they made me a deal i could not refuse. Plus they throwed in carbon fibre helmet , jacket gloves and boots the guy that owned it had. He did not ride it much so sold it back to them for a greatly reduced pice. It has a puig smoked wind screen and fender eliminator, now its time to figure out what mods give me the best bang for the buck. It would start raining so my first ride was a wet one. I test rode it for a couple of miles before the rain hit and new it would be going home with me today.

·
Premium Member
13,746 Posts
The bang for the buck mod is Ivans reflash. NOTHING holds a candle to it. 190/55 rear tire is probably next, but it snot even in Ivans league.

Look: Ivan's Performance Products

I can give you the next 35 mods that you want, but if you want to start with the best mod, do that. Worth way more than a full exhaust, or slip on exhaust.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas definately open to ideas that will help make things better. Trying to figure out if there is a servo in the exhaust that closes off one side why i got equall exhaust pressure comming from both mufflers on my 2012 model

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i guess the next 2 mods i need to do is find a rack for my givii top box, and put some type of slip on,s that give a little more sound so i can be herd and now get a new back tire, noticed a little cut in it looks like it ranover something. It has a new bridgestone on the front so i guess ill have to get one of those for thr rear. I never did like to mix and match tires.

·
Registered
828 Posts
As for mixing and matching tires, I've had no issues. The stock tires suck but I am frugal so I waited for them to wear down before replacing. In retrospect, I shouldn't have. The bike was transformed with the Pirelli Angel GTs. If you do change the rear, go to a /55 profile, it helps the handling a lot.

As for slipons, I am surprised how much I ended up liking the V&H Urban Brawlers. Huge weight savings and the definitely unleash the sound a bit. I am running them without the db killers and I can't say they are super loud as some have made them out to be. At cruise they aren't much louder than stock. They stay reasonably quiet up to about 7-8k. Above that and you will definitely attract attention if the motor is under a load.

They also saved quite a bit of weight and they seemed to have helped eliminate some of the vibration as well.

As rcannon pointed out, Ivan's is one of the best mods. It really improves the drivability as well as performance of the bike and you no longer need to run premium fuel all the time. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day trippin did you install 2 urban brawlers or 1 single, and do you have to use a fuel controller with those or will the bike ecu adjust to it. I just ordered my givi top box brackets and plates and looking at exhaust right now. Im going to move quickly on the exhaust then concentrate. On other things for it, and where did u get ur brawlers

·
Registered
828 Posts
I did the 2 that replace the stock slip-on mufflers. No fuel mods necessary. I did the Ivan's reflash while I had the stock exhaust. From what I've read, no fuel changes needed with the Brawlers that the stock ECU can't compensate for. FYI - I have a 2014 but I think the ECU is the same. Ivan does something if you have an earlier model to disable the exhaust servo I believe.

I bought my Brawlers from a forum member. Don't buy the factory db killers if you decide to go that route. They are crazily over priced and you can find ones that will work for a LOT less.

The Brawlers themselves are pretty cheap to begin with. You don't seem them discounted much but just do a google search. I believe even Amazon was carrying them when I was looking for different mufflers. I planned on going with the Delkevic originally as I had good look with them and they are quite reasonable. I jumped on the Brawlers at a great price and thought I'd sell them if I didn't like them. To my surprise I did and now I am good. They are super lightweight and I went with the stainless. I'd like black better but with the stainless less chance of rusting and I thought I could always hit them with hi-temp black exhaust paint if I didn't like. I like them better on the bike than in photos. That isn't to say I disliked them but wasn't really sure about them until I put them on. They work for me.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Urban brawlers ordered, now searching on how to do away with exhaust servo motor

·
Registered
828 Posts
Check on Ivan's website. It might be just easier to do the reflash and bypass it. Let know if you think the Brawlers are too loud and I'll point you to the db killers I ordered. Haven't got them yet but should be here next week (I hope).

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info, way i read it you can unhook the cables and it should not set code, but could burn up the servo motor because it still spins and does not have any stops on it. Dam i hope there not to loud my wife will kill me

·
Registered
828 Posts
Brawlers are only what I would consider "loud" when hard on the gas and over 7k rpm. Of course what I consider loud is subjective and may not be loud for you.

You can get the db killers for about $30 shipped from other sources. They aren't factory but they will work according to others. Even without them it is not what I'd say is super loud anyway. I just like to ride pretty fast and don't want to attract too much attention. At cruise the cops don't pay much attention but when I gas it hard, I have noticed they look my way. By the time I gas it hard in 1st, I am already well over any speed limit in my area so not a good idea. :)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might be all right then i cruise mostly specially with the wife on back, i could only imagine the rib pokes id get if i hit it hard in 1st and 2nd with her on the back of thiis bike. Going to start pulling off mufflers and tackling removing the exhaust valve cables since my brawlers should be here by friday. Hopefully the exhaust gaskets will be all right or ill be screwed. To cold to ride anytime soon it looks like anyway,

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not that I know this personally ;-), but the N1K can do great wheelies with your wife on the back.

The gaskets are quite robust. It might take you all of 5 minutes to slap on the Brawlers other than the servo crap. I could do it with my eyes closed now on my 2014. It is a bit simpler than the earlier version of course. That is one reason why I looked for it, well and traction control and a few other things. The improved hard bags were the main reason though.

Scratch all that, I got a smokin' deal and couldn't pass it up. All the rest was just icing on the cake so to speak.

Hope it will warm up soon so you can ride!

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea it finally got up in the upper 30,s but suppose to be below normal for a couple of weeks, thats what i get for buying a bike in the middle of the winter

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I kind of wished i would of waited on the brawlers so i could of seen how it ran stock, but since there comming i want be able to stand it till i put them on.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The weight savings alone is quite significant. In 2014 and later they made some changes to the air intake so you have a bit more "aural pleasure". ;-) A nice way of saying they made it sound "faster". Your model doesn't have this little bonus so the Brawlers will help out in this area.

The weight savings for me are the equivalent of 2 months dieting. I tried to get my wife to count the weight saved on the bike from the Brawlers toward my weight loss goal. Surprisingly she didn't go for it. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts