Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just got done replacing the mechanical seal and oil seal in the water/oil pump. I got it all back together and I can't get oil pressure. Has anyone done this or have experience? The service manual said to fill some space in the oil pump with grease to help prime but that didn't seem to do the trick. Does anyone know how to get the oil pump primed?

I have tried the oil filter trick and taken off the oil fill plug to see if that helps with no success. I have checked the oil pressure with the finger over the hole method and don't seem to have any pressure at 4k (should be about 40psi) I'm scared to run it for very long.

Thanks

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
681 Posts
I would suggest that you don't run the engine without oil pressure, otherwise "bad things" may happen sooner or later.

If you must run the engine, then take the spark plugs out and just spin the engine with the starter motor, but for very short periods only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Following up with progress..

I took it all apart again back to the oil pump and filled the pump gaps with grease as noted in the service manual, between the gears. I attached the page here. Put it all together and the oil light went off within seconds of starting it.

So for any one who tries this, just know the grease is very important in priming the pump.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
That is strange. I would have read that, and skipped the grease, too.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. The great think is not logical to me, but I have only limited and long ago experience inside the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.