Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all....
Been riding my 2016 N1K for about a month now. Although i've been taking it easy, my upshifts, 90% of the time, are without the clutch. Smooth as butter. Is this normal in newer bikes? Thanks .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi to all....
Been riding my 2016 N1K for about a month now. Although i've been taking it easy, my upshifts, 90% of the time, are without the clutch. Smooth as butter. Is this normal in newer bikes? Thanks .
I never "PowerShift" unless im at the track or WOT and in a mad hurry.. Just not good on the system if you catch it not in Sync.

If its smooth its probably not doing too much damage as the gears are in Sync.. But if it grinds or clicks in, your putting excess wear and tear on the gearbox.

Id avoid it unless your @ the track or in a mad hurry / WOT.

Reactions: Nanker

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never "PowerShift" unless im at the track or WOT and in a mad hurry.. Just not good on the system if you catch it not in Sync.

If its smooth its probably not doing too much damage as the gears are in Sync.. But if it grinds or clicks in, your putting excess wear and tear on the gearbox.

Id avoid it unless your @ the track or in a mad hurry / WOT.
Absolutely clean every time, only do this under 5000 rpm.
again, smooth as silk... every time.....does slipper clutch have anything to do with this perhaps??

·
Registered
959 Posts
Very rarely use clutch... dirt or street.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess from what I'm reading
,its time to get the revs up while doing this
Thanks for the input men

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've done it. I don't subscribe to it. But nothing bad, including never seeing metal in my oil during change, has happened. Go seamless lol.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Absolutely clean every time, only do this under 5000 rpm.
again, smooth as silk... every time.....does slipper clutch have anything to do with this perhaps??
Good question on the slipper...NO. I dont see it "slipping" or even being involved. Ill think some more, but I dont see it helping, or hurting.

When you wear parts, or damage them, 99% of the time, they make noise, or warn you to knock it off. It would be rare to damage a transmission and hear no bad noises of protest.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
R cannon
Thanks... that's the thing...no noise or oh oh feeling whatsoever.
I've done it with other bikes in the past,but wasn't comfortable doing it.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I don't think it's the slipper clutch because I can do it on my '14... good discussion though, I usually give the clutch lever a little pull coming up through those lower gears but I've often wondered why, since it shifts so easily without.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Transferring power from one gear to another smoothly in my view is more or less harmless,but if there is a large difference between the engine revs and the correct revs to match the gear speed, without a clutch to absorb the difference ,then I believe there is the possibility for either grating or impact damage.. Though I suspect most gear boxes are designed to allow for a certain level of 'abuse'

·
Registered
483 Posts
clutch-less is really the only way to shift IMO. I had an 87 Hurricane with defective clutches from Honda.. the issue was completely negated by minimal use of the clutch. That was 30 years ago! tolerances and precision in manufacturing must be better than it was then?

·
Registered
291 Posts
It won't hurt anything when done properly (which the op is obviously doing).

Has nothing to do with the slipper. The slipper acts like a completely normal clutch, until back torque is applied to it. A normal clutch applies the back torque to the crankshaft, a slipper bleeds it off instead.

Basically what the op is doing is right before shifting finding the neutral throttle setting (no power applied, but not slowing down either) and then simply pushing it into gear. This does not hurt anything at all. It can be done in most cars and trucks with a manual transmission, most all motorcycles, some tractors....etc

It won't harm anything if done properly. Some transmissions are easier to do it on than others. Dirt bikes are very easy to do this on for good reason.

This is not the same as "Power shifting". Power shifting is forcing the transmission into the next gear while under load at high revs. It takes some muscle and good timing, and is a freaking terrible idea in my opinion. You cannot really power shift on a motorcycle, you have to break the load on the transmission for it to be able to shift.

If you want to shift quickly under load on a motorcycle get a quick shifter from DynoJet or such. It works like a champ. No clutch, never let off the throttle, shifts like butter. Plus it makes it dramatically easier to change gears in a wheelie.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used to do it a lot on my Bussa, on up-shifts only; my technique was to put pressure on the shift lever, and close the throttle; when the RPMs match it shifts. I stopped doing it after researching it on either google or YouTube and some guy said it's bad.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you do it with no load on the transmission it's fine, but if you do it under load, either with acceleration or deceleration it's going to harm stuff.

What Geldscheisser is not recommended but it works just fine. Most late model transmissions from Suzuki are amazing and will put up with a lot.

If you are going to easily shift with no clutch (and this is being super lazy) then you need to be at a neutral throttle setting when shifting.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't think it's the slipper clutch because I can do it on my '14... good discussion though, I usually give the clutch lever a little pull coming up through those lower gears but I've often wondered why, since it shifts so easily without.
Goes perfectly fine on the 2011 as well.
I do most of my upshifts this way ... 60K further.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It won't hurt anything when done properly (which the op is obviously doing).

Has nothing to do with the slipper. The slipper acts like a completely normal clutch, until back torque is applied to it. A normal clutch applies the back torque to the crankshaft, a slipper bleeds it off instead.

Basically what the op is doing is right before shifting finding the neutral throttle setting (no power applied, but not slowing down either) and then simply pushing it into gear. This does not hurt anything at all. It can be done in most cars and trucks with a manual transmission, most all motorcycles, some tractors....etc

It won't harm anything if done properly. Some transmissions are easier to do it on than others. Dirt bikes are very easy to do this on for good reason.

This is not the same as "Power shifting". Power shifting is forcing the transmission into the next gear while under load at high revs. It takes some muscle and good timing, and is a freaking terrible idea in my opinion. You cannot really power shift on a motorcycle, you have to break the load on the transmission for it to be able to shift.

If you want to shift quickly under load on a motorcycle get a quick shifter from DynoJet or such. It works like a champ. No clutch, never let off the throttle, shifts like butter. Plus it makes it dramatically easier to change gears in a wheelie.
I put my feet on the shift lever, no pressure, just in position.
Then I drop the throttle & immediately push the shift lever.
Seemless shift every time.

Reactions: Ishikawa
1 - 20 of 25 Posts