Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the bike today and when i parked it sounded like pressure was venting from the gas cap, i thought the fan was still running but when i opened the gas cap it relieved it, i figured it would vent through a tube some where. Tank is almost full. Is this normal

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I only hear that whistling sound when my gas tank is low and I park it. I open it, and a swoosh vacuum sound is produced. Ever since then I always made it a point to gas up before I store it.

Never thought it could suckup the tank from the inside like that. ****!

·
Registered
64 Posts
On my local Shell station, I asked the pump boy to fill up the tank while I went to the rest room. When I came back, I saw that the bike was filled all the way up to the filler neck, ~4mm below the brim of the top of the neck. I had him drain the tank all the way
back below the filler neck.

What would have happened if I had ridden the bike with an overfilled tank?
Do we have an overflow hose in the system? It was a hot day. While stuck in traffic, I saw my engine temp reach 105C a couple of times.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, there is an overflow drain. I've overfilled my tank once or twice this summer just gone and found fuel draining out. I ended up finding just the right amount to fill the tank in the heat so as not to waste any precious fuel. I'm not sure how fuel prices in Australia compare with those in the US, but fuel here regularly reaches $1.25 p/Litre or more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, yes it is.

They typically just dont allow an open vent anymore.

Look what happens when someone tries to defeat this feature.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/ducati-motorcycle-chat/3349d1150511991-ducati-tank-imploded-tank.jpg

My bulging tank - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
The imploded tank definitely looks like the vent was blocked! That bulging tank though was a defect in several Ducati models back then, and that thread was from before anyone knew what was happening. My 1098 had a warranty replacement, supposedly a problem with the ethanol added to the gas causing problems with the plastic tanks. I'm 100% positive my vent worked fine :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I heard the venting sound too. Wasn't sure what it was but then I realized it was not a problem but the tank was designed to do it. It does sound like a fan or some of the electronics are still running but no its just the venting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts