Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
The worse problem is that when you stop feeling cold you DON'T know you're in trouble...

There's a big difference between not LIKING riding in the rain and NEVER riding in the rain. When I was daily commuting I rarely let rain stop me from riding to work. When I'm on a trip I've NEVER let rain interrupt the trip, although, I've altered routes a couple of times. But now that I'm retired and only head out for fun I'll hold off on heading out if it's raining. There's always tomorrow.

We ran into a guy once in Canada heading east back to Newfoundland. He and a friend had planned an epic coast to coast Canadian trip. Where was the "friend?" Holed up in a motel waiting for better weather. This guy was a teacher and had to get back for work so he was pushing on. My long time riding buddy and I later talked about it and agreed we wouldn't be riding buddies if a little rain stopped one of us in our tracks. When we were both working stiffs you planned your vacations and took them when you said you were gonna. As a consequence we've had some epic trips!

My buddy and his Connie with my VFR (a long way from San Jose!)
Yeah, I meant metaphorically. When hypothermia sets in the worst part is unless you catch it early, you really don't know how much trouble you're in!

You're a stud. I am a big baby when it comes to rain period! I hate being wet! I rode through 3 winters when all I had was a bike. Maybe that scarred me for life. lol

I will never leave the house for a ride if it's raining but I have DEFINITELY ridden through rain many times on multi-day rides. It's funny how I ALWAYS think, "this isn't so bad, why am I always so apprehensive to ride in rain? lol

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ok, just for you Ken! I had to run home to grab something for work and thought, "I'm riding back to work". 5 minutes down the road it started raining on me! Luckily it was a light rain but giad dang does it suck riding in the mist of cages!

·
Premium Member
15,467 Posts
That was what was scary. I only did it that one time, but that's it. Getting so cold I didn't realize I was cold was scary, after the fact.

At the time, I remember thinking "Well, it's later in the day, maybe it is warmer?" Or "My body must have adjusted."

Not for one second did I think I was in trouble and I ignored my confusion in counting to 3 or 4, whatever it was.

You guys remember our brakes, back then in rain? A 1979 Yamaha xs11. I remember pulling the front brake, hard,and nothing happening. The discs were not drilled and the water stayed on their surface. It took probably 100 yards before they did anything.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, just for you Ken! I had to run home to grab something for work and thought, "I'm riding back to work". 5 minutes down the road it started raining on me! Luckily it was a light rain but giad dang does it suck riding in the mist of cages!
Sorry about that. You are absolutely right, cage mist is awful. Here it's probably not as bad because the roads get washed more often but after a month or two of sunshine it's an oily grimy mist coming up off the road. My commute was all 2 lane roads so even if it was misty I could hang back far enough to avoid most of it. Can't do that on the freeway

Man, that must leave you on the horns of a dilemma. Dang, I'm riding a bike and getting rained on. Hurray, it's finally raining!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That was what was scary. I only did it that one time, but that's it. Getting so cold I didn't realize I was cold was scary, after the fact.

At the time, I remember thinking "Well, it's later in the day, maybe it is warmer?" Or "My body must have adjusted."

Not for one second did I think I was in trouble and I ignored my confusion in counting to 3 or 4, whatever it was.

You guys remember our brakes, back then in rain? A 1979 Yamaha xs11. I remember pulling the front brake, hard,and nothing happening. The discs were not drilled and the water stayed on their surface. It took probably 100 yards before they did anything.
Thinking back and applying what I know now, it's when the core temp goes down that your brain stops working right. When I was freezing cold for several hours it was my extremities that were freezing but my core was kept warm. When I got caught in the cold rain, everything was cold and I'm sure my core temp was dropping. I mean, when I couldn't figure out how to put the side stand down...

And oh yeah, old flat disc brakes had their issues. My '84 V45 Sabre had a few grooves in the discs that helped a lot. Every bike since then has had holy rotors. Provides a little divine help getting us stopped. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry about that. You are absolutely right, cage mist is awful. Here it's probably not as bad because the roads get washed more often but after a month or two of sunshine it's an oily grimy mist coming up off the road. My commute was all 2 lane roads so even if it was misty I could hang back far enough to avoid most of it. Can't do that on the freeway

Man, that must leave you on the horns of a dilemma. Dang, I'm riding a bike and getting rained on. Hurray, it's finally raining!
Actually, at least in NorCal, we're having a decent rain year so far. We've had some crazy rain storms come through. The snow kiddies are having a good year so far.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would trade for a great place to ride and only be able to ride half the year as opposed to being able to ride all year but having boring roads and few tracks, like in FL.
You can say that three times! I'd take three months a year on the roads and tracks I have here. The rest of the time you'd find me on my dirt bike shredding in the National Forests.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.