Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nice picture, interesting choice of green front fender against an otherwise black bike. I've never seen that before.

Where did you take the picture?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just before pulling off the highway to snap that picture I passed a string of older Porsches heading west, in amongst them was an Alpine Renault A110...have never seen one being driven before. Very cool!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Rickifumi, I know that area fairly well (166/33/58/Cerro Norriestre Road).

I have a ride coming up end of May to explore that area. Plan on taking Hwy 33 to Taft to pick up 58 and further points north. I'll be on the VFR800 though because it's already set up for touring and it has tires I want to wear down.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Nice photo rickfumi looks like a great ride

·
Registered
782 Posts
We were doing the Angeles Crest highway last June and it was closed due to a landslide. But the detour was the Angeles Forest highway to the Upper Big Tujunga highway. Holy crap, BEST DETOUR EVER! Someday want to get back down and do all the little squiggly lines in that area. We did part of Mulholland as well and IT was closed because of bridge construction so we only got to do a few miles. We plan on doing another So. CA trip in the future and re-plan to spend a day doing all the roads in the Malibu and Topanga State Parks area as well as the rest of roads in the Angeles National Forest.
But it sure is a long ways from Seattle but there are a lot of interesting routes down and back...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
SR-2 (Angeles Crest) was still closed at Red Box so I only rode 2 west of that closure, down to La Cañada Flintridge. To be sure, I enjoyed Angeles Forest Highway a lot more! Much smoother, and much less traffic. SR-2 has the racerboy knuckleheads in Mitsubishis and Civics coming at you all crossed up in blind turns. Hey, fvck that!

I did a cool side trip out to Wrightwood from the backside. From AFH northbound, turn right on Mount Emma Road and take that to Fort Tejon Rd, Valyermo Rd, Big Pines Hwy, and eventually SR-2 a few miles from Wrightwood. Incredible scenery and remote. Whenever I'm out in the Palmdale area the famous Buzz Aldrin quote about "magnificent desolation" comes to mind. LOVE IT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts