Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got caught in the mountains after dark and decided the nk1's headlights are definately not for driving in the dark, i believe my cell phone light is brighter. Definately did not mark the edge of the road or shine out far enough to see road hazards. I will definately be sure im not riding after dark. On the flip side had a blast with a 6 hour trip twisting through the mountains today.

Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
601 Posts
Reactions: MM997

·
Registered
5 Posts
I keep teasing my friend about his stock 2002 Honda Magna having a better headlight than the one on his '14. Fortunately, my FZ1 runs both bulbs in high or low beam and I have caliper mounted Motolights, so I think this guy's just leeching my light instead of buying better bulbs. Right, George? :p

·
Registered
828 Posts
Watch the current draw. The N1K doesn't have an overly robust electrical system. Running these both high and low, will be at least another 3 amps over your stock setup. With my current setup, I have about 3 times the light of the original setup and use less watts.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Watch the current draw. The N1K doesn't have an overly robust electrical system. Running these both high and low, will be at least another 3 amps over your stock setup. With my current setup, I have about 3 times the light of the original setup and use less watts.
Hmm, do you think it would be much of an issue if I'm not running anything else? I like the idea of simply changing a bulb for a little light improvement. Not a huge "need" but it would be nice for those times I do get stuck in the dark.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I may just give that a try! Are these just plug-and-play for the N1K? If their claims are correct, that would mean 50% more light output!
There is absolutely no issue with running these bulbs. I have owned two Ninja 1000 and used them in both.

You will not get 50% more output but they are a definate improvement over stock and worth the price.

Yes, they are plug and play. Simply remove the stock bulbs which come out with the base. Remove and replace with the new bulbs and reinstall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got caught in the mountains after dark and decided the nk1's headlights are definately not for driving in the dark, i believe my cell phone light is brighter. Definately did not mark the edge of the road or shine out far enough to see road hazards. I will definately be sure im not riding after dark. On the flip side had a blast with a 6 hour trip twisting through the mountains today.
That is odd, I ride mine at night in the mountains all the time with no issues. Sure brighter bulbs are great but saying it is not safe to ride at night well that is a bit of an exaggeration isn't it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Well mrphotoman, maybe some people want to ride faster than the pace than you find the lights to be adequate. Of course your reply will be they work amazingly for blasting 100 mph in the curves.

I had to ride from the San Francisco airport at night in the rain before I improved the lights. To say the stock lights were sub-optimal would be an understatement. A small, poorly designed reflector isn't exactly a setup for great lighting.

The conditions you use it in, can make a difference as well. If you are riding alone, in the mountains, then maybe you are able to use both high and low beams together and get better coverage. I personally have no desire to use one stock beam in the mountains and ride at a brisk pace. Why settle for mediocre if an upgrade is pretty easy. I can't think of a single motorcycle I have in the garage other than a small scooter that has worse lights as I've mentioned before. Even a small dual sport bike at least equals the Ninja stock.

A lot of bikes have crappy lights. Just happens that the Ninja seems to be among the lower end of these. My 1k Vstrom has far better lights. You'd think you were driving a good car. I wish more road tests would comment on these areas. Maybe with more attention here, and on horns, and we might see as much progress as we have in motor output. Maybe good lights and horn aren't as sexy as 200hp but they are a lot more useful for the average ride.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh **** maybe photo punk will go back to polishing his ninjy 250, if he has as much *** as he does mouth he ought to be a big fellow,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well mrphotoman, maybe some people want to ride faster than the pace than you find the lights to be adequate. Of course your reply will be they work amazingly for blasting 100 mph in the curves.

I had to ride from the San Francisco airport at night in the rain before I improved the lights. To say the stock lights were sub-optimal would be an understatement. A small, poorly designed reflector isn't exactly a setup for great lighting.

The conditions you use it in, can make a difference as well. If you are riding alone, in the mountains, then maybe you are able to use both high and low beams together and get better coverage. I personally have no desire to use one stock beam in the mountains and ride at a brisk pace. Why settle for mediocre if an upgrade is pretty easy. I can't think of a single motorcycle I have in the garage other than a small scooter that has worse lights as I've mentioned before. Even a small dual sport bike at least equals the Ninja stock.

A lot of bikes have crappy lights. Just happens that the Ninja seems to be among the lower end of these. My 1k Vstrom has far better lights. You'd think you were driving a good car. I wish more road tests would comment on these areas. Maybe with more attention here, and on horns, and we might see as much progress as we have in motor output. Maybe good lights and horn aren't as sexy as 200hp but they are a lot more useful for the average ride.
wow, so you guys are riding faster than the speed of light? must be that fueling issue you corrected that allow for that lmao.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah he just calls out people that greatly exaggerate things like fueling issues and "the ninja definitely not made for night riding" statements. Straight from troll city. He should just be a good member and just post comments like "OMGWTFBQ DUDE! that fueling issues is whack yo!" or possibly "OMG DOG THAT NINJA HEADLIGHT IS AS BRIGHT AS CAVE AT MIDNIGHT DURING A LUNAR ECLIPSE, NO ONE COULD RIDE THAT THING AT NIGHT NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LOL!

·
Registered
367 Posts
That is odd, I ride mine at night in the mountains all the time with no issues. Sure brighter bulbs are great but saying it is not safe to ride at night well that is a bit of an exaggeration isn't it?
Then how would you describe safe riding at night ?
For me safe riding exists of seeing 2 seconds ahead of you, all the time, and especially at night (with deer and other animals on the side of the road).

With high beam on, that's doable ... a bit less if you go into a corner.
When you have oncoming traffic, high beam is not an option, and low beam just sucks on this bike, even more in the corners.

Now in order to ride "safe" with low beam, you'll have to reduce your speed significantly.

I've had a bi-xenon setup for a while, and while I had to do crazy acrobatics to keep the bike straight in the corners (ridiculous hanging off), as the cut off line was very sharp, and visibility dropped a lot more under angle then the standard reflectors.
However I could mostly follow the 2 second rule.

When we have a night ride, I let the KTM's ride in front, and flood the road in front of me with light.
Cornering lights, and just better lights in general, would be a welcome addition to the new SX.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I’d have to agree the light output isn’t very good. If you don’t ride in the dark often, you can get by and it probably won’t bother you much. If you’re riding in dark areas often, it would get old fast.

My night riding is usually in the winter coming home from work on well-lit fwy’s so it isn’t a huge deal. When I first picked up the bike and rode it home in the dark through a canyon road, I definitely kept the pace down because I couldn’t see very far in front of me, so any rocks, coyotes or deer would’ve been hard to avoid at higher speed.

But yes, the fueling issue is FAR worse :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Luciano - reading your post made me put 2 & 2 together. Apparently the bikes with perfect fueling also came with better lights from the factory. That must be the only explanation. I am going to my selling dealer and demand a refund! :D

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think i know what it is photo tard is really superman and has xray vision eyeballs and his super ninjy has a cape i bet, no wander his ninjy runs good with all them powers he has, and heck with that vision he dont even need headlights.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts