Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget is around 10k and the above bikes got me really interested.

My main usage will be for daily commute and occasional interstate road trips.

Most important characteristics/features for me:
- good commuter and touring bike (smoothness, good suspension)
- Good ergos for two up

I know that the two 1k options are a bit hefty than the FJ -09, but the FJ-09 is more flickable (and that three inline!). A dealers giving me the '15 ninja for 9K vs the FJ-09 for around the same price. I know if I go for the Versys, I'll have to shell out a couple of extra thousands but heard really good things about it. Is it worth the extra money over the other two?

Any opinions/ suggestions will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I think the fj09 would be out going by your guidelines, the versy would definately be more comfy for two up.Also go to the fz and fj and look at the issues with the bike compared to the kawasaki, i went and checked out the fz and fj both before i bought my ninja, and glad i did.

Reactions: Erebus_Oneiros

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Go check out total motorcycles review of the versey, fj, and vstrom, they had the versy winning hands down after a thousand mile trip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input.

The only reason fj09 is still in my short list is cause even with accessories it will be in my budget. For the Versys 1k I'll have to stretch my budget by around 2.5k. Is the advantage over ninja 1k sufficient to justify the price difference?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also go to the fz and fj and look at the issues with the bike compared to the kawasaki, i went and checked out the fz and fj both before i bought my ninja, and glad i did.
I had tried out the fz in the past and personally hated its ergos. Reading reviews and Checking their forums, it seems that yam has solved most of problems with the fz (throttle response, suspension etc) in the FJ 09.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If i were choosing again i would have to go with the ninja 1000 again, no 115 mph speed limiter, no death wobble at higher speeds, reported fj does not belong on interstate due to getting blowed around, reported does not tke much input to get the fj unstable, other issues electrical and still cam chain tensioner, plus it just dont look like a 2 up machine to me, ninja drill the clutch basket and its pretty much bullet proof, is it the best probably not, but its stable with me and the wife on it, put gas in it and ride on,run it up to 120 no problem still feels good and stable, and i dont think the fj suspension would work good for 2 up plus the front end feeling light just got lighter with 2 on it, hopefully you can test ride some bikes before you purchase so when you finally make that purchase you want regret it.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I like my ninja, but I wanted a comfortable SPORT bike.

The versys 1000 would be hard to overlook if I was not looking for a sport-ish ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Big decision!

I spent 6 months deciding on the next bike and hoping it would solve all my nit picking issues with the others I had. They are 2 different machines. The adventure bikes are great commuters but thats about it unless you are looking for some off the beaten path time. The Ninja is a fast corner carving machine that can easily do some miles on the weekend. I found the versys and fj tall. Im tall so it wasnt an issue but they carried their weight high which I didnt like. The ninja wins in the looks department too, unless you crave the adv look.

The duplicity and looks won me over on the ninja. I love it and plan on keeping it for years which is more than I can say for the others I have owned. Good luck....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What happened to the KQR Hard Bags??

I see the hard bags on the N1k in the old pics/reviews, but upon looking now it seems that hard side bags aren't to be found on kawi's website (or with my dealer!!). Revzilla too doesn't carry them for the Ninja. This might be a deal breaker for me if a no-fuss side bag doesn't exist for the Ninja. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ninja 1K gets my vote but of course thats what I have...there will be a significant performance difference between the N1K and the Versys 1K...kinda like the difference between a KX250 (2 stroke, high rev top end) and a KLX250 (4 stroke, lower rev, more low end) if you have ever ridden those bikes back in the 80's before the advent of the hyper 4 stokes we see in motocross today. Im an old 80's dirt biker and didnt even get into street bikes till I bought the N1K last year which is why Im making that comparsion. I took a Versys for a test ride before I bought the N1K and the difference in performance is significant.

Reactions: Mark59

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Kx as compared to klx?

Since you are okd, too, do you remember the original 81 klx 250?

My chassis, check..
Great suspension, check...
Light weight, check...
13 horsepower....

It might have been 17, but still...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wasnt sure what the 4 stroke Kawasaki dirtbike was, had to look it up...I had smaller bikes back then like a 1975 Suzuki 75 (which I rode into the ground then traded for a car that I never got running). I use to have a 1992 KDX 250 which I sold in 1997 (ruptured my right knee ACL on this bike off a jump, among other visits to an emergency room). That was my last dirtbike and motorcycle until I bought the N1K last year. Motorcycles are like woman, they are beautiful and full of excitement, but danger lurks in every corner.

Reactions: Mark59

·
Registered
27 Posts
I rode the Versys prior to buying my N1k last summer. Too tall for me and just didn't like the overall feel compared to the N1k. Didn't bother looking at the Fj09 because of the looks (subjective) and I read so many complaints about the suspension. Not that it isn't a great bike overall.

Disclaimer: this bike sucks for two up. Versys wins that hands down as long as they don't mind climbing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't comment on versys as never had or ridden one, but coming from Yamaha fz09 I recommend ninja over fj09, I also managed to sit on fj09 as I was debating on buying one, but soon I realized the cool factor of yamahas triple engine is only "cool" when it's planted on a light weight bike, like fz09, once you add some weight (and potentially passenger weight) it's not as appealing compared to ninja liter engine. Since my main goal of buying the ninja was 2up riding I decided to go with Kawi. In addition Yamahas throttle respond (on/off feeling) on low speeds makes it less fun to ride in city, specially when compared to the silky smooth throttle of Ninja. While the throttle issue has been significantly improved on yamahas since 2014 fz09 but according to multiple reviews it still exists.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I think a person buys a ninja 1000, instead of a Versys 1000, as almost an emotional choice.

If we were looking at automobiles, you really cant beat a mini van. It hauls groceries, is comfortable, and will hold the entire family. Perfect, practical, but.......

I think the Ninja vs the Versys is a similar thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts