Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received an email from Sport Rider Magazine where their editor did a comparo between our Ninja & the Honda VFR & results were fairly predictable, overwhelming in Ninja 1000's favor!!! Price, value, features, power were just some of the areas where our bike was judged better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had just bought my N1K when Honda announced the VFR800 (current version). At first I was pretty pissed. I had waited, literally, a decade for Honda to come out with a better version of my 1999 VFR. Then I read some of the early reviews of the new VFR. Glad I made the choice I did.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gas mileage! The viffer kicks butt on gas mileage. Hahaha...other than that it's N1K all the way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had just bought my N1K when Honda announced the VFR800 (current version). At first I was pretty pissed. I had waited, literally, a decade for Honda to come out with a better version of my 1999 VFR. Then I read some of the early reviews of the new VFR. Glad I made the choice I did.
98-01 was the best Gen VFR made to date. i always loved those bikes. it's been all down hill since.

Reactions: Norskie

·
Registered
92 Posts
98-01 was the best Gen VFR made to date. i always loved those bikes. it's been all down hill since.
This I totally agree with. My brother bought my 2000 VFR and currently has 104k miles on it - it is a family heirloom at this point ;-)

My main riding riding buddy has a 1998 with 70k miles on it. We swapped bikes the other day and his reaction to my Ninja "holy cow I never considered the VFR until now. I didn't expect the 50mph wheelie, but I don't like the N1K's vibrations."

Getting on the VFR was interesting:

• I sat "in" the bike. On the N1K I am very much "on" the bike
  • The extra 40 pounds are noticable
  • I spent a lot of time on the VFR around 8-10k, and it didn't mind. The engine has more of a "motorcycle" feel than the N1K; that offset-crank V4 is a gem.
  • VFR engine is much, much smoother than the N1K
  • With a Penske rear and GP forks, the ride is more plush than the stock N1K but with more feel for what the tires are doing, so the VFR was both more comfortable and more cornering confidence
  • In the corners, I never felt I had to be carefull with the VFR throttle
  • For a 17 year old bike it still rides great; Honda really knew how to build them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I put 50,000 miles on my 2003 VFR. It was a faultless sport touring companion for many years. My only wish was for a little more upright riding position and a little more power below 7000 rpm. Loved the smoothness of the V4 engine.

The Ninja 1000 gave me what was missing and more.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I saw this old thread pop up and it looked like a good place for this bike. This "Young Machine" magazine isnt very reliable. Maybe 50/50 on any machine being real, but these two bikes might make sense.

Hondas 2020/21 Fireblade is an extremely track focused and expensive. It's a 28, 000 dollar bike. With that in mind, it might make sense for them to build this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some YouTube reviews from a new owner (from Sydney, I think)

Initial impressions:-

First night ride and impressions of the lights:-

Compared to his previous VFR800:-

Update after 3,000 klm (1,864 miles):-

·
Registered
2012 Ninja Z1000SX (Green)
31 Posts
I spent 10 years and 160,000km on a '04 VFR and now 18 months (and 25,000km) on a '12 N1K. In between was a couple of years and 65,000km on a Daytona 675R. I was a die hard VFR fan, but the N1K has it beat (even the older '12 I have) in almost every way. The only thing I miss from the VFR is the range (400-450km). And the colour (a beautiful deep blue).

I find the N1K has a lot of the feel of the Daytona (power wise, certainly not as dynamic as the Daytona) with the comfort and carry capacity of the VFR. The VFR nerd dream of a VFR1000 might have even the field but until then (and in the new 2020 with all the inclusions) its N1K all the way.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The VFR is another bike under consideration before I ever committed to getting back on the street. If IIRC, maybe late 90's or early 2000, it was the FI V4 that caught my attention...growing up with carburetors I was simply sick of fk'n with them, much less four at a time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts