Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an '06 CBR600RR that I loved riding before getting a '21 Ninja 1000. I hopped on my Honda after a few weeks of riding the Ninja and I'm never going back. The Ninja does everything pretty damn well and I'm way more comfortable after hours of riding compared to the Honda.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've ridden both my current '21 Ninja 1000sx, and two supersports (ZX6R and a Yamaha R6).

The one BIG deal thing for me that I haven't seen mentioned is comfort. I'm 6'4" tall. IDK how tall you are, but a supersport is guaranteed to be more cramped and bent forward than the N1K. With the two 600 class bikes, I didn't get out of the parking lot before I knew I'd never buy one for street riding. As a dedicated track bike, sure, but never for street. The difference in comfort really is that great (in favor of the N1K).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've ridden both my current '21 Ninja 1000sx, and two supersports (ZX6R and a Yamaha R6).

The one BIG deal thing for me that I haven't seen mentioned is comfort. I'm 6'4" tall. IDK how tall you are, but a supersport is guaranteed to be more cramped and bent forward than the N1K. With the two 600 class bikes, I didn't get out of the parking lot before I knew I'd never buy one for street riding. As a dedicated track bike, sure, but never for street. The difference in comfort really is that great (in favor of the N1K).
I'm 6'3" and I feel the same way. The N1K's more upright riding position and the bike just being a lot bigger works so much better for me. I've hopped on my Honda a few times and I'm amazed that I even fit on it all these years. I know the liter bikes have a bit more room in general, I hopped on my friends GSX-R1000 once and it was a lot more spacious compared to my CBR600.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I love my Ninja 1000 but I don’t find the rider triangle particularly comfortable or even natural. You’re caught in no-man’s land as far as the riding position is concerned. You will never be super comfortable on this bike, be it in the twisties or while touring. It’s not designed to excel at anything, be it in terms of the suspension, the riding position or protection from the elements. It is perhaps targeted at riders who wish to keep the one bike which ‘does it all’. And it does too; just not very well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love my Ninja 1000 but I don’t find the rider triangle particularly comfortable or even natural. You’re caught in no-man’s land as far as the riding position is concerned. You will never be super comfortable on this bike, be it in the twisties or while touring. It’s not designed to excel at anything, be it in terms of the suspension, the riding position or protection from the elements. It is perhaps targeted at riders who wish to keep the one bike which ‘does it all’. And it does too; just not very well.
I haven't ridden a ton of different bikes, so my experience is limited somewhat, but I think the N1K really nails a good intersection of upright riding position while still looking good aesthetically as a sport bike, and still allowing you to ride it aggressively when you want to. I think it's target market is people who want a more comfortable bike than a 600cc or 1000cc sport bike, but don't want to go completely over to a sport tourer, ADV, or commuter bike. And I think it hits that mark. There's unfortunately no bike that covers everything obviously, but it does meet that objective for me.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts
I own 2 Honda CBR1000RR's and I just bought a '21 Ninja 1000SX because I need a longer distance tourer that has a sporty feel.

Like what @jjscsix said, it's almost impossible to take full advantage of what a supersport offers on the street unless you are ready for a large traffic ticket, let alone the risks that are usually insurmountable if you weigh the consequences and the costs.

There are a lot of disadvantages of a supersport on the street:
  • discomfort: due to a forced posture to tilt fwd
  • unable to manipulate easily at slow speed in tight corners or u-turn in urban areas
  • have to stop more frequently in longer trips due to:
    • tank capacity
    • aches and pains

As a super sports owner, I understand what you are saying about the thrill of carving canyons and twisties. Not sure where you are located but where I'm located, quite a lot of twisties here have trees and man-height shrubs that prevent me from seeing a lurking deer, dog or other animals that may shoot out into my path without warning. Unlike the plains in TX and other SW states where visibility and sight distance are high most of the time, riding super sports in my area at high speed has a high cost to swallow.

Also, how far are those twisties from where you live? It's quite a chore to ride for hours on a supersports to reach far away destinations. By the time you arrive, you are already tired from the painfully forced position on the bike. Having a lot of aches and pains while you ride fast adds to the risks because they can distract your focus.

So, there you have it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Coping and seething at the fact the ZX10R seat is more comfortable than the N1Ks. Hard to beat the N1K as a practical and powerful street bike

·
Registered
458 Posts
That is not an absolute, it’s that way for you. I’ve owned two GL1800 Goldwings that all I had them for was two up riding. They were far and away the most uncomfortable bikes I’ve ever ridden. The straight up sitting position was very painful on my back.

I ride 300-350 mile days all the time on my Ninja 1000 (and my first 2011 Ninja 1000). I get virtually no pain on them. My butt needs a break every hundred miles or so, but even then it’s not serious pain. I have zero pain anywhere else on them.

The most comfortable bikes for me are the bigger sport touring bikes. I’ve owned most of them out in the past 15 years. ST1300, two FJRs, two BMW1600s, and a Concours 14. The Ninja 1000 is actually very close to them in comfort for me.

We are all different

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
The ninja fits me well, too. I expect a similar thing would happen if we all pitched in and bought a car.

But, before you guys could drive it, I weld the seat and steering wheel in place. It's a cheap car, so it never had adjustable pedals. I'm sure some could deal with it, a few might like it, but it's still a silly idea to have none of these items adjustable.

My rearsets did move the pegs by about 15mm. Overall, that's nothing, but it's really a big deal. Even a bar with some adjustment would help.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a Ninja 1000 and a ZX10R. The Ninja 1000 has a full Akrapovic system. It will outrun the 10 until 9000 rpm then well lol.
Vape, do you have a cat delete and Ivan's tune on your 10? The 10 also looses weight with no cat. While the N1K has a few more lbft of torque advantage at 6000 (around 4 or 5), the weight difference more than makes it up. 6000 the 10 is more and from 7000 on, the 10 walks it, and there's a ton more on top as you've said. I also swapped first gear on the 10 as it's way too tall with second gear right next to it. Before I swapped 1st, I ran all of Sears Point in first gear on my 2012 10. I've had both bikes with Ivan's tune.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Vape, do you have a cat delete and Ivan's tune on your 10? The 10 also looses weight with no cat. While the N1K has a few more lbft of torque advantage at 6000 (around 4 or 5), the weight difference more than makes it up. 6000 the 10 is more and from 7000 on, the 10 walks it, and there's a ton more on top as you've said. I also swapped first gear on the 10 as it's way too tall with second gear right next to it. Before I swapped 1st, I ran all of Sears Point in first gear on my 2012 10. I've had both bikes with Ivan's tune.
The bike has a Graves full system, so I'm assuming no cat. Have not checked to see who did the flash yet, been satisfied with the performance so far. Have you ever ran a Sprint air filter on a 10?

·
Registered
419 Posts
That is not an absolute, it’s that way for you. I’ve owned two GL1800 Goldwings that all I had them for was two up riding. They were far and away the most uncomfortable bikes I’ve ever ridden. The straight up sitting position was very painful on my back.
This ^^^^^, me too!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The bike has a Graves full system, so I'm assuming no cat. Have not checked to see who did the flash yet, been satisfied with the performance so far. Have you ever ran a Sprint air filter on a 10?
I have not but will be when I pick it up my 2013. I had one on my H2 SX and my S1000RR. Great product and worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
For me, the N1K seat should be listed as a medieval torture device. I tried all the aftermarket ones and they were all worse. My seat on my 06 GSXR1000 with a top bar is way more comfortable. Yeah, I get a lot more wind hitting me in that position, but I'd rather have that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For me, the N1K seat should be listed as a medieval torture device. I tried all the aftermarket ones and they were all worse. My seat on my 06 GSXR1000 with a top bar is way more comfortable. Yeah, I get a lot more wind hitting me in that position, but I'd rather have that.
This is what I'm realizing. The 10's seat is better. My whole lower body goes numb on the N1K. Gonna see if I can swap the seat somehow

·
Registered
2017 Ninja N1k
26 Posts
Kawasaki makes a gel seat for the N1k. I bought it and it’s much better than the stock seat.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Kawasaki makes a gel seat for the N1k. I bought it and it’s much better than the stock seat.
I tried it and it was the worst I tried. I also tried the Sargent and Corbin. I gave up and put the stock seat back on it.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts
I tried it and it was the worst I tried. I also tried the Sargent and Corbin. I gave up and put the stock seat back on it.
I have been doing some research on this and so far, the 2 solutions that I have not tried but many claimed to work for Iron Butt guys are:
  • Airhawk pads
  • Russel Cycle DayLong

21 - 40 of 65 Posts