Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to forum. I purchased a 2019 Ninja 1000 abs last year. I am 54 years old, and had not been on a bike since about 1993. The ninja 1000 has plenty of power, but i find myself just wanting to go fast, especially on winding roads. I never rode a supersport, and want to know how much better handling they are for example zx 6 or zx 10. Thanks

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
562 Posts
What modification have you done to your N1K ??
  • Have you replaced the stock tyres with something better ??
  • Have you changed the stock steering geometry ??
  • Have you reworked stock suspension front and back or completely replaced & upgrade of the suspension ??
  • Have you upgraded the front brake pads and/or calipers ??
  • Have you taken any advanced rider training ??
If the answer is "done nothing", then a stock zx6 or a stock zx10 will seem to you to "handle better" than a stock N1K but the power delivery will be very different. The N1K has a smooth progressive power delivery, while a supersport has a more abrupt "On/Off" power delivery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike is all stock exept for flash by gull.Guess i could start with tires. but what about the weight difference?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For street riding the difference is negligible even if you could tell much difference at all. The chassis on the Ninja 1000 is very stout and allows the bike to be placed exactly where it needs to be. A lighter weight bike will transition side to side a bit quicker. The sacrifices made in riding position and comfort on a super sport would be far more noticeable.

Having the suspension sorted along with a good set of tires and the Ninja 1000 will do just fine.

Since you have been out of the sport for a long time it would be better to work on rider improvement rather than worrying about which bike is going to be 2% better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have adjusted front and rear suspension, and it is a lot better than when I got it. Could you suggest tires. I've read to go 1 size taller in rear. Suspension? I'm in east Pa., Allentown area. Is there someone good to take it to?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a 2020 Ninja 1000 and a Honda CBR1000RR. At one point I had a 2011 Ninja 1000 and a Ducati 1199 Panigale at the same time. On the street it’s not likely you’ll really need a Supersport other then you just want one. It’s not so much whether you can or will ride a Supersport faster, it’s more the visceral feeling you get on a Supersport.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you just want a supersport then quit being a whiney azz biatch and get one. Take your 'mistake' posts and go to a supersport forum and waste their time and not ours.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a Ninja 1000 and a ZX10R. The Ninja 1000 has a full Akrapovic system. It will outrun the 10 until 9000 rpm then well lol. Two very nice but different bikes. Stock, the 10 weighs about 60 lbs less, but the Akra system sheds alot of weight. The 1000 handles just fine twisty roads.

If you can afford it I would get both. Nothing like when the ZX10R hits its power band. It's amazing honestly.

·
Registered
2012 Ninja Z1000SX (Green)
39 Posts
I had a Daytona 675R before my Ninja 1000. Before that I had the Daytona and a VFR800 at the same time. My favourite is definitely the Ninja in real world. The Daytona was a heap of fun, so easy to turn and flick about, and went well too. Later (when I didn't have the VFR), I commuted daily on it and even multi day tours on the Daytona. However, for everything except the full on blast, the Ninja performs as well or better (at touring for example). If I could have had both, I would have, but I would have spent most of my time on the Ninja.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The 1000SX can do 99.3% of what a ZX6R can do, just in a more comfortable package. Now, that comfort does come with a weight penalty, with the 636 weighing about 100 pounds lighter than the N1k.

I like the “idea” of getting an SS to compliment the N1k, but with a self imposed 3 bike limit, I must be more diverse in my bike holdings.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have owned two 600 cc super sports along side my Ninja 1000 ownership, a 2007 CBR and a 2015 ZX6R-636. Both of the super sports were much more capable of extreme foolishness in the twisties than my Ninja 1000. However, the Ninja 1000 is capable of easily reaching my personal threshold of what I am willing to do on the street. The super sports could arc into a corner at ridiculous speeds and feel as if they were an asphalt scalpel. I was often too tempted to pretend it was a track day.

I have no problem riding my Ninja 1000 up to and beyond what risk level I am willing to take. In no way does it hold me back, but it does require a bit more effort than what was required of the 600 super sports. However it is far more comfortable and versatile........a much better road bike.

Guess which bike is still in my garage and which ones I sold. The super sports have come and gone but the Ninja 1000 is still putting a big smile on my face!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any performance difference with Akra exhaust? Would like to get one, the left side muffler is in the way of chain maintenance, and must sound better.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
615 Posts
Any performance difference with Akra exhaust? Would like to get one, the left side muffler is in the way of chain maintenance, and must sound better.
[/QUOTE]

Big time improvement. Shaves off 25 lbs as well, and is significantly more nimble now. Not compatible with hard cases though

1 - 20 of 65 Posts