Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Ninja 1000 vs. Ducati Supersport!

25K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  Geldscheisser 
#1 · (Edited)

Watch how hard it is for these Brits to admit the Ninja 1000 is a better bike for less Money!

Because of all the Z's, X's, 1000's, 10's, Ninja's, etc. Our Ninja 1000 is still virtually invisible and can't get no Love!

Whoever's in charge of Marketing/Model naming at Kawasaki should be chopped up and grilled at Benihana!

#2 ·
I never understood the heated grip complaint. The Oxford grips are 80.00 and work better than most oem grips. Connecting them could not be easier. 80 bucks?

#3 ·
I think they did a pretty good job of highlighting the differences between the ZX1000 and the Ducati Super Sport S. Looks like they made fun of not stating the obvious. They never want to come out and actually say "bike x is better" because they might lose advertising and/or other consideration from other manufacturers.

Anyways, it's a fun video and, for me, highlights nicely how well our Kawasaki's measure up to more en vogue brands.

I'm not sure if these guys are Brits. It looks like the show is from South Africa. Pretty sure it's never that dry or sunny in Britain :)
(ready to dodge the barbs from our UK members)

#4 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XMC81xlMME&t=146s

Watch how hard it is for these Brits to admit the Ninja 1000 is a better bike for less money
Because of all the Z's, X's, 1000's, 10's, Ninja's, etc. Our Ninja 1000 is still virtually invisible and can't get no Love!

Whoever's in charge of Marketing/Model naming at Kawasaki should be chopped up and grilled at Benihana!
Haha, yeah us brits live in Europe not Africa, and still use pounds rather than Rand.
Nice video though, Oxford grips all the way and I have never cared about cruise control especially if it is on a ride by wire with snatchy fueling..

I think it is the US guys who named the bike the Ninja for your market, the SX has been an outright hit in the U.K. It is always the best seller for Kawasaki.

#5 ·
I appreciate Ducati but I see them as not something I would put the miles I put on my bikes. That's the other thing no one mentions is cost to own. I would love a sporty v-twin but I like the reliability and cost to own... Japanese I-4 motorcycle too. It's like guys with BMW's or worse and hey if they don't mind 4000 clutch jobs then more power to them. I am not into that kind of maintenance costs. I feel like Ducati's maintenance schedule is crazy. Maybe I don't poses the same nostalgia for Ducati as I do HD. I think it sure is pretty bike though :)

#6 ·
My mate has the new Ducati. It is a nice looking bike with all the toys, but that is where it finishes. It is only 7 months old and the dramas begin. The quick shifter has stopped working, it has spent about 5 days in the shop trying to sort out fly-by wire throttle. Now it is stuck in snow mode (not much snow in Western Australia). So if you know anyone over here that wants one I know of one that is for sale.

#10 ·
The quick shifter has stopped working, it has spent about 5 days in the shop trying to sort out fly-by wire throttle. Now it is stuck in snow mode (not much snow in Western Australia). So if you know anyone over here that wants one I know of one that is for sale.
This is the second time in as many weeks I've heard of a fly-by-wire throttle problem and getting stuck in limp home mode on these new Supersports. The other one is for sale as well.......

#8 ·
Everyone needs to own an Italian bike to really appreciate how good the Japanese do things. Bmw bikes will see the shop, but usually their issues are fixable. If it's from Italy, maybe...eventually, until the next issue surfaces.

Sure, they make mistakes, but they fix them and don't keep passing the mistake to the customers.

I think people own japan bikes, then assume a motorcycle is a motorcycle, and that's not true.

Reactions: CoachP7
#9 ·
You know what would be cool? A 14,999 "Ninja 1000r" Just like the "z1000r" they sell, overseas.

This would include the Ohlins rear shock, 310mm front rotors, Brembo m50 calieprs, and BPF fork. I think if they did that, it would be more than a match for the Ducati, at all levels.

#13 ·
For me, no way...but, I think many would.

And, maybe the upgrades, at factory level, would cost less? I'm not sure on that as I don't know what premium they have on the z1000r vs the normal bike.

I go back to who I've known, and I remember my dad. When he bought a new, anything, that was it. Not one cent would be spent on good stuff, even if it made his life better, or improved the experience. He would buy the upgraded bike, but as far as modifying a stock bike, lol..not a chance. It was like the purchase kicked him into "money saving" mode.

Even at 12 yes old, I was the one who learned to connect trailer wiring. We would go to sears, and I'd grab whatever I needed to do the job. He just paid for it.

#14 ·
Got a chance to sit on the new SS at a recent dealer opening in are area,,. Great looking bike!!
They have done an excellent job in maintaining the Super Sport bike style,,.

Be sides what has been covered some of the obvious differences are the size and weight (40 lbs), the seat is lower and it has a less frontal mass with the fairing and windshield then the N1K, the riding position is a bit more aggressive as well so I'm betting the Kawi would be the more comfortable of the two, for touring,. The bag is a plus buy not as well done as the Japanese version,,.

The new Super Sport would be a nice bike to own but In my opinion the N1K represents far better value and reliability for less money,,. Imagine owning this after warranty,,. Ill never forget the Video where the op. spent all day getting to the battery on a Monster and then turned to his Yamaha and removed two bolts in 30 seconds and said "see,!"

If someone lent me one for a week I would sure have a good look at it but it would be tough sell to trade the N1K in for this bike,,.

#16 ·
Buying a Ducati is never about value, reliability or ease of maintenance. It's not even about horsepower or performance. It's about sex appeal. And for a good majority of sport touring buyers, that's going to be #1 on the list. It's sad but true.

I'm going to go ahead and say that the same kind of buyer that wants a Harley is the same kind that wants a Ducati. Same concept, different walks of life. There's no good reason to do it, they just want it. Maybe the HD purchase of Duc was the right move after all.

For those after sex appeal, or wow factor or just status as riding something cool, the Ninja 1000 isn't even in the top ten. Most of us in this forum just want a good bike and don't give a **** about what other people think.

#23 ·
Exactly. This is the truth right here. If you are worried about money, you aren't the right buyer for a Ducati. If you are worried about maintenance, a Ducati isn't for you. Like Zaph said, it's like Harley. People don't buy Harleys for the reliability, fantastic modern day electronics, the horsepower, or weight to HP/torque ratios. They buy it for the image and the way it makes them feel. The same with a this new Supersport S.

#18 ·
#20 ·
Aprilia makes such beautiful products. Their frames, in particular, are works of art.

With a good dealer near, it might change my mind. Our dealer sold a hundred of them, then dropped the aprilia brand.

Seriously, if you were to get a troublesome bike, I imagine it gets dealt with during the warranty timeline, anyway?

Reactions: scuga
#22 ·
I'm a single bike garage, but the RSV is certainly one I keep eyeing.

I stuck with the N1K mainly because of maintenance costs, entry cost, not giving a darn about other's opinions, and that it fit so many bills well (but not great)

#24 ·
Ducati has spent the last ten years trying to avoid the high maintenance part of the brand. They don't use belts anymore, and valve adjustments, oil changes, and general maintenance is aboutique the same schedule as a Japanese bike. That's true for anything after the 1098 series. The Panigale has a 15,000 mile valve check, which is not much different than we have.

In the past, they had strange, "yearly" services that needed to happen, regardless of miles. That's all gone now.

#32 ·
over-engineered

I believe the term is over-engineered. After seeing it firsthand, and getting stuck with maintaining a gigantic mess, I came up with my own personal definition:

over-engineered: adjective. The trait of having used the most advanced technology in an implementation for the sole purpose of claiming to have used said advanced technology...resulting in a degradation of reliability, maintainability, manufacturability, and/or customer experience.

#33 ·
The original video said there were plenty of options in this category,,.I cant think of plenty,,.
S1000XR
GSX S 1000
What are the others?

#37 ·
I always thought "under tested" and almost everything is as compared to Japanese standards.

They say honda tests their front tires. The tire must be able to handle hitting a sharp piece of angle iron, at x mph, and not allow the rim to be dented or the tire to come apart. And they do that with every component on the bike.

They won't be the first with ride by wire, traction control,,or abs, but when they introduce it, it works. That is, up until this year. That fireblade was rushed through the process too quickly and appears to have picked up some odd traits. But still, nothing causing it to blow up, or have reliability issues.

I've always enjoyed working on my bikes. I always detested broken parts. Especially when you would order the new, replacement part, and it was the same as the old defective one.

It's interesting, really. They all get suspension, clutches, pistons, tires, rims, brakes, and lots of major parts from the same suppliers.

Even ktm..well, not the suspension. It shouldn't be that hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.