Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Those wheels are beautiful....

I cant even imagine what your bike handles like...good suspension, AND seriously light wheels.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Bikram, have you weighed your bike with those wheels? Great addition if a little pricey.
Thanks, Zaph. Haven’t weighed my bike... how do I manage that?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Those wheels are beautiful....

I cant even imagine what your bike handles like...good suspension, AND seriously light wheels.
Thank you, RC. The handling is sublime... losing unsprung mass and having a trick suspension... it’s a different world there :smile:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks, Zaph. Haven’t weighed my bike... how do I manage that?
Well if you want to use the ghetto method, bring a bathroom scale to the garage, get a board to roll up an incline, measure the front, measure the back and add them together.

But I recommend emptying the gas tank out first to get a more usable "partial dry" number. Personally if I blow that much on wheels, I'm getting the bike completely dry (oil and coolant) before weighing it so I have a nice sexy superleggera low number to present.

BTW, for people who have ultra light wheels... A steeper rake is preferable to add stability. And you probably don't need to run 55 profile tires in back either.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Yes, we need to get that bike on a scale.

Does India have Wal Mart? India probably has too much class to let them in?

I ended up needing a very accurate scale, but I was in Wyoming. The ONLY store available was Wal Mart. They had a scale that was one of the old fashioned kind that did not need batteries.

We were able to verify its accuracy, and it was only off by 1 lbs at 150..not bad at all.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well if you want to use the ghetto method, bring a bathroom scale to the garage, get a board to roll up an incline, measure the front, measure the back and add them together.

But I recommend emptying the gas tank out first to get a more usable "partial dry" number. Personally if I blow that much on wheels, I'm getting the bike completely dry (oil and coolant) before weighing it so I have a nice sexy superleggera low number to present.

BTW, for people who have ultra light wheels... A steeper rake is preferable to add stability. And you probably don't need to run 55 profile tires in back either.
Thanks for the tip on weighing. I can confirm your point about not needing a 55 aspect ratio rear tyre as I’ve switched to a 50 rear with the handling still being very responsive due to the lightweight CF Wheels which rid the bike of considerable unsprung mass. I’m not sure about needing a steeper rake as the Ninja is already more biased toward stability as opposed to nimbleness. The lightweight wheels make it easy to transition side to side... haven’t noticed any instability. It’s an interesting point though and I’m curious to know your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Bikram, you have a good steering damper.

If so, it's fun to mess with front end height. You can run it really steep, if you want, and the damper keeps it all under control. Not that I've ever ran mine steep enough to causenissues, but there's a sweet spot you'll find, if you look for it.

It's tough to describe, buy you'll feel it within a few seconds of riding.

·
Registered
681 Posts
RC, that gives me a project to work on... thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I did end up going to the track and had a blast. The Bridgetones worked excellent for my noob pace. The big ninja worked great, much better then anticipated but it was such a difference from my little Ninja 300 at the track. Thanks for all the advice and making me change tires...it was such a difference.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
So I did end up going to the track and had a blast. The Bridgetones worked excellent for my noob pace. The big ninja worked great, much better then anticipated but it was such a difference from my little Ninja 300 at the track. Thanks for all the advice and making me change tires...it was such a difference.

https://youtu.be/RgCxnGFdK3U
Nice video and congrats for not trying to drive outside your comfort zone,

·
Registered
39 Posts

Ninja 1000 ABS, Bridgestone Battlax RS10​

Kawasaki uses Dunlop for the smaller bikes, no thanks. The 1000s & H2s use the RS10. With the N1K's acceleration, it ultimately needs the RS10, even over the RS11 because of profile.

·
Registered
33 Posts
this is from last Friday at Willow Springs raceway. Even with the bike raised up a half inch, I'm still having ground clearance issues, the kickstand and engine case / fairing is touching down at lean angles above 54 degrees. I have a pair of Ohlins FGK forks on order so that I can raise the front by another half inch, and the rear I'm about to raise another inch by using 4th gen Z1000 linkages.

here's the belly-pan that touched down.

and here in the side stand scraping, though this I think I can mod to have it retract further, but then I risk touching exhaust down, which is even worse. I'd prefer to raise the whole bike instead.

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
333 Posts
Wow, the track lets you ride with the side stand?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts