Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m getting ready to kill the oem tires with a track day. Any previous experience in what pressure to run them at? The last time I did a track day on my Ninja 300 I had the tires at 30/30 psi in 2013. I’ve never done a track day with such a big bike so I’m a bit nervous, also I’m exited to have that safety net of traction control. Any comments from owners who have taken this beast out on the track would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I honestly would be very careful doing a track day on the OEM tires. The front end feel was downright scary when I had the OEM tires.

That said, 30/30 is always a decent starting point if no other info is available.

·
Registered
894 Posts
What tires? It makes a difference.
it’s the oem tires. I bought the bike in Nov of 2017. I believe they are the Bridgestone S20?? But not 100% sure.
Those tires are scary on the street much less on a track. Frankly, I would get a fresh set of tires before the track day. They just have no traction or feel.

I ran 32 front 33 rear most of the time oon the street on my Ninja 1000, but I also was mostly riding mountain passes. With those tires it would be about right. A new set of Q3 or S21 tires I would run in the high 20s in the front and 30 in the rear.

Simple answer, buy new tires and go have fun.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Those OEM tires are already trash from the factory.. I wouldn't want to ball up the bike using them on the track. I am not all that sure that you can really drop pressures on the N1K with any of the touring tires because this bike is heavy and we could deform them by running low pressure.. of course I am speculating.. but I felt my bike was not well sorted on the track when running angel GT's at anything more than -4lbs each. She is just heavy and not a fast tipper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
32/33 sounds like a good starting point. I’m not a street Rossi or a motorcycle expert by any stretch but I’ve had no problems with the OEMs. Umm some new rubber would sure do the trick but I’ll have to think about it. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
483 Posts
LOL Luciano136 I just picked up a set a q3+ for the r1.. I killed the oe rs10's before I even got to the track! guy was selling new with stickers 175 a set on the r1 forum! deals you cant pass up!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I’m considering the Q3, they only have the 120/60ZR17 and according to the manual it says the oem is a 120/70ZR17. Can anyone confirm the 60 will fit in the 2017 bike?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Are you looking at the Q3 or Q3+ . I'd go with the new version. 60 profile should fit, it just won't turn in as easily; the difference is probably very subtle though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you looking at the Q3 or Q3+ . I'd go with the new version. 60 profile should fit, it just won't turn in as easily; the difference is probably very subtle though.
The Q3 not the + for a bit a savings. But I don’t think I’ll be able to get them shipped, changed and ready to go before my track day. I’m going to have to push it to another day.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't run a 60 on the track. This bike is already heavy on the front tire and it would slow the turn-in to remove all the fun you are trying to have.

Have you looked for some S21s? They are great tires also. Not quite a sticky as the Q3s but last a lot longer. Maybe you can find a deal.

·
Registered
599 Posts
As said before the OEM tires suck and would be awful for a track day. Get a set of the Q3 Plus or Michelin Power RS and get a 190/55 rear. The bike comes stock with a 190/50 but the 55 will work much better and improve turn in. Definitely stick with the 120/70 front.

I don't know what level you are at in your riding but I would not go too low on the tire pressures for this bike.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
A lot of opinions on tires and little advice on the original question.
I can't speak about the OEM S20 on N1K as I never pushed the bike with them.
I have pushed the off the shelf S20 on a ZX6 and had full faith in them. They held all the way till I ran out of edge on the rear and when it let go I knew it was happening. Really think the N1K OEM S20s are not the same tire though but it might just be the heavier bike.
My experience with those on the ZX6 was 33F 31R when in battle mode.
My recommendation would be drop pressure a couple of pounds at a time and see how it feels, but mid 30s is always a good starting point.

Be safe and give us a report back.
Kenneth

P.S. remember with no pictures it didnt happen. LOL

Reactions: guambra2001

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of opinions on tires and little advice on the original question.
I can't speak about the OEM S20 on N1K as I never pushed the bike with them.
I have pushed the off the shelf S20 on a ZX6 and had full faith in them. They held all the way till I ran out of edge on the rear and when it let go I knew it was happening. Really think the N1K OEM S20s are not the same tire though but it might just be the heavier bike.
My experience with those on the ZX6 was 33F 31R when in battle mode.
My recommendation would be drop pressure a couple of pounds at a time and see how it feels, but mid 30s is always a good starting point.

Be safe and give us a report back.
Kenneth

P.S. remember with no pictures it didnt happen. LOL
Thanks for the response. After some thought, I’ve decided on getting the Q3 plus. I mainly use my bike for joy rides and mountain rides in Colorado, as such I don’t put many miles on it but enjoy the confidence a good set of tires give me. Tbh I thought the oem were perfectly acceptable for my pace in the streets, which is calm but slightly faster then needed.

After a quick inspection on my tires, I don’t think they’ll give me what I need for the track day. I wanted to save a few dollars for the Q3 but revzilla only had the 60 for the front. Someone mentioned $300 is a lot cheaper then fixing a new bike, as such, I’ve decided not to be a cheap ******* and buy the Q3+. I’ m exited but I did have to delay the track day until I can get my tires fitted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ninja 1000 track tyres

I own 2013 model and as always any vehicle (yep cars too) that have a specific tire fitted OEM are definitely not what you buy from the retailer. Then is rule No 1 be it Track or Road - ride to the conditions which includes weather, bike equipment fitted, condition of rider, ability of rider, actual awareness of own real ability.
it is great to go to the track and ride your bike at 9/10 of skill levels without breaking Rule No 2 "Keep the shiny side up!". A couple of years Kawasaki Australia had one of their ride days at a track Wakefield (south of Sydney) it coincided with the drawing of test rides of the then unreleased Gen 5 ZX10R. I attended with my Ninja 1000 which my term of endearment is "the old farts bike" I am now 60. Fortunately, the gods of Kawasaki smiled on me and I was one of the lucky few to ride the new ZX10R a bike that continues to lead the World Championships.
My point is whilst I rode my Ninja 1000 in slower Medium base group, none of the riders could keep up. I was on OEM tires, standard tire pressures with compression and rebound set for doubling. 90% of the riders there were on track bikes. Clearly the lead "Fast" group were seasoned track day riders or actual current racers.
I believe that actual ability is the single most important factor to check before the track day ride. Enjoy the bike for its intended purpose. Yes, it is good to "trick up" your ride but the bike should be set up for its main role, otherwise it is never going to be good at anything.
Enjoy track days, but delight in the twists and turns of the long winding road.
I own; Z1-900B, Ninja 300 2016, Ninja 1000 2013, ZX10R 2006 and lastly a ZXR750M1-RR (full factory superbike) 1993.

·
Registered
681 Posts
As said before the OEM tires suck and would be awful for a track day. Get a set of the Q3 Plus or Michelin Power RS and get a 190/55 rear. The bike comes stock with a 190/50 but the 55 will work much better and improve turn in. Definitely stick with the 120/70 front.

I don't know what level you are at in your riding but I would not go too low on the tire pressures for this bike.
I am in agreement on tyre pressure for this bike. The Ninja 1000 goes squirmy and squishy if I drop tyre pressure below 32/38. I have never been to the track but we have twisties only 30 minutes ride away and the bike feels at its happiest with tyre pressure close to Kawasaki recommended pressure, maybe drop 2 psi front and rear for the twisties and 4 psi for track. I wouldn't go below that. The bike just does not respond to rider inputs very well if you drop tyre pressure to to the level track riders usually do. I have used the Metzeler M7RR and Michelin Pilot Power 3 tyres on my Ninja.

My riding is fast and aggressive.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts