Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
y'all will also notice that the thread was started in early november before many had seen the bike and was based on anecdotes from 2011 and 2012 Ninja 1K owners...

Fairings definitely contribute to the heat soak, raising the ambient temps inside the faired area. A mild thermal feedback loop. Thats why gutting/chopping the cat ALWAYS makes things better, eliminating any and all excess residual heat reduces heat soak...

But anyways, yes after getting feedback from some of you '14 N1K owners it seems the issue is a non starter or mild at best...

·
Premium Member
13,512 Posts
The cure for the heat issue , on the Ninja 1000, is to ride the Concours 14, r1, zx14, or a bike with a real heat issue.

Now, we're spoiled and wont put up with any "personality" in a motorcycle. Bikes are incredible...A slightly warm foot is now an issue where 30 years ago you were fighting frame flex and low end flat spots.

But, a side note...1000cc's and 120-140 hp is going to create some heat.

·
Registered
627 Posts
heat heat heat

The cure for the heat issue , on the Ninja 1000, is to ride the Concours 14, r1, zx14, or a bike with a real heat issue.

Now, we're spoiled and wont put up with any "personality" in a motorcycle. Bikes are incredible...A slightly warm foot is now an issue where 30 years ago you were fighting frame flex and low end flat spots.

But, a side note...1000cc's and 120-140 hp is going to create some heat.

Yep, suck it up...gets hot here in Florida...just keep moving and avoid traffic lights when you can

·
Registered
70 Posts
Riding in shorts last night and felt the heat on my shins. Not too bad but you wouldn't want to do it all day.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You guys crack me up!
Suck it up, we are spoiled, blah, blah, blah, wtf?
The heat IS an issue, and if an owner doesn't like it, they can work to resolve it.
people have been resolving issues with their bikes for a century now, it's called personalizing.
Manufacturers are required by law to build bikes a certain way to make them "safe" or to comply with EPA, or some other stupid law created by some idiot.

FACT: catalytic converters create heat, use heat to create cleaner, legal, exhaust gasses exiting from your bike.

FACT: Heat rises, thus, heat generated by the converter WILL rise up and cause discomfort to the rider when the bike is not moving.

While it may be illegal in many states to remove the converter due to emission laws, it is still done, and will continue to be removed by those of us that feel the need.

Personally, I do feel heat. Nothing compared to my Buells, but still enough to be uncomfortable.
The converter weighs around 50 lbs. Who wants to carry that weight around?
On my Super Tenere, I removed the converter and installed an aftermarket exhaust not so much because of the heat it generated, or for performance gains, but for the weight reduction! Less weight = more speed. Drag racers code...
I will be removing my converter soon to reduce weight, reduce heat, and increase performance. (note, i do NOT want to increase exhaust sound, I'm an old man, too old for that noisy exhaust ****...) I will also be lining the inner frame with exhaust insulation tape. I did this on my Buells and it helped a lot. I've felt heat on the right side frame, nothing bothersome, but it is still there.

So yea, some people feel the heat to be bothersome, some the tough guys don't, no big deal.
Bottom line is, the converter is a fricking boat anchor and needs to be tossed. ;-)

·
Registered
627 Posts
50 pounds?

You guys crack me up!
Suck it up, we are spoiled, blah, blah, blah, wtf?
The heat IS an issue, and if an owner doesn't like it, they can work to resolve it.
people have been resolving issues with their bikes for a century now, it's called personalizing.
Manufacturers are required by law to build bikes a certain way to make them "safe" or to comply with EPA, or some other stupid law created by some idiot.

FACT: catalytic converters create heat, use heat to create cleaner, legal, exhaust gasses exiting from your bike.

FACT: Heat rises, thus, heat generated by the converter WILL rise up and cause discomfort to the rider when the bike is not moving.

While it may be illegal in many states to remove the converter due to emission laws, it is still done, and will continue to be removed by those of us that feel the need.

Personally, I do feel heat. Nothing compared to my Buells, but still enough to be uncomfortable.
The converter weighs around 50 lbs. Who wants to carry that weight around?
On my Super Tenere, I removed the converter and installed an aftermarket exhaust not so much because of the heat it generated, or for performance gains, but for the weight reduction! Less weight = more speed. Drag racers code...
I will be removing my converter soon to reduce weight, reduce heat, and increase performance. (note, i do NOT want to increase exhaust sound, I'm an old man, too old for that noisy exhaust ****...) I will also be lining the inner frame with exhaust insulation tape. I did this on my Buells and it helped a lot. I've felt heat on the right side frame, nothing bothersome, but it is still there.

So yea, some people feel the heat to be bothersome, some the tough guys don't, no big deal.
Bottom line is, the converter is a fricking boat anchor and needs to be tossed. ;-)

Does the CAT weigh 50 by itself or does that include the header? Thought I read somewhere the exhaust cones weigh about 17 LbS

·
Registered
95 Posts
Akrapovic Header will do remove the assembly in style :)
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can I put in the akropovic headers on but keep the stock exhaust end pipes. I actually like them. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over heating issue

I have a 2011 N1K AND SHE GETS HOT BUT NOT TERRIBLY HOT. I USED TO HAVE A 2009 Yamaha v sTAR CUSTOM AND THAT THING GOT hottt! The Ninja never gets too warm, only on very hot days when I am stuck in NYC rush hour traffic does the radiator fan blow hot air up through the handlebars. All bikes get hot, these are dues we must pay as bikers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
catalytic converter removal

I do not know about any other years but my 2013 to remove the cat I had to replace the whole pipe it was one piece. That thing hanging under the bike is not very attractive anyway rip it off.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts