Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kawasaki has uploaded their carryover models for 2020 along with some of the brand new models. The existing Ninja 1000, Z650, and Z900 models are no longer listed for 2020. The ZX-10RR also doesn't carry over, but a new version is all but certain for next year.

On the website are shown five bikes hidden under covers, two to be revealed on October 23 at the Tokyo Motorcycle Show and the remaining three at EICMA in November. I think we can safely say the new supercharged Z H2 is one of the Tokyo mystery bikes, and an upgraded ZX-10RR is one of the remaining four. So that leaves three unknown new models to debut in the coming month.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Those models were all updated around the 2017 model. The Z900 came out in 2017 I believe. It's entirely possible they don't want to release the bold new colors of 2020 until the first half of 2020? After all it's only October 2019.

Or they only plan to have the Versys 1000 carryover the fantastic liter motor.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carryovers with bold new graphics are now uploaded at Kawasaki.com. Based on years of watching new model year updates I think we've seen the last of the models no longer listed.

It's possible the Ninja 1000 will be re-launched with substantial updates, and it's one of the "mystery bikes" they'll show soon. Apart from that, do not expect a 2020 Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I heard that there will be an updated Ninja 1000 and that it will be a global name, no more Z1000SX. Not a verifiable source though.

Reactions: Bc2

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, I hope it's not discontinued for 2020...what rotten timing that'd be. I was all set to pull the trigger on a '20 to replace the FJR1300 I have now -- want a lighter, nimbler touring(ish)-w/-fairing bike. I know there will be leftover '19s available, but I wanted something other than black and was hoping for a few model upgrades (TFT, etc.). If true, this really throws one heckuva big monkey wrench into my plans. :-(

I'm still going to remain optimistic, that maybe it's one of the mystery models still uncovered on the site.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Yep looks like the N1k is a boat anchor now, at least they kept the ZX- 14 for next year. I’m sure sales of a particular model has a lot to do with them moth balling a peticular model. Evidentially some people are still buying the ZX-14.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
Good news rc65, Kawasaki has 2 versions of an improved Ninja 1000. Ones called the Versys 1000 se. It has the electronics, electronic suspension, but the color choice is limited. The other improved ninja 1000 is called the h2sx se. I think you can get that one in green.

Before those two bikes were available, it made sense.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Anyone who thinks the Versys is an improved version of the Ninja is out of their mind. It's not even remotely in the same class. It's an ADVENTURE bike, tall, bulky feeling, heavy, dumbass adventure styling, etc. Left me cold. Yeah, I've read the rave reviews but it certainly isn't for me.

H2 maybe fits the bill if they cut the price and weight into the Ninja range.

Really glad I just picked up a new '18. I can live with black and it'll last me a long long time. In my looking there are lots of '19s around and now I know why they aren't being discounted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good news rc65, Kawasaki has 2 versions of an improved Ninja 1000. Ones called the Versys 1000 se. It has the electronics, electronic suspension, but the color choice is limited. The other improved ninja 1000 is called the h2sx se. I think you can get that one in green.

Before those two bikes were available, it made sense.
I’ve looked at the Versys pretty closely, but the ADV segment just isn’t for me...and not looking for a H2 supersport-type bike. The Ninja 1000 checked all the right boxes--relatively upright seating, sport-like profile and handling, touring option, etc. If the ninja 1000 isn’t available for 2020, I’ll either need to look at a leftover ‘19 and live with black (and apparently a mothballed model), or change my plans altogether, plans that probably will no longer include Kawasaki, unfortunately and disappointingly.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
If you look at Kawasakis line up, they did not leave much room for the Ninja. Like it or not, the Versys is the one that got cruise control and electronic suspension. If Kenors wants to call it an adv bike, that's cool, but it's not an adv bike anymore than an s1000xr is. Anyone who knew motorcycles would not consider a 550lb inline 4, with 17 inch tires an adv bike, no matter what its handlebars look like. . Are you thinking Kawasaki gave it 5k worth of electronic suspension for whoops, or double jumps? I dont know, but that sounds very street like..maybe even touring.

Theres not much room, dollar wise, to improve a Ninja 1000 and not have it priced as high as the base h2sx. If you look back , all the way to 2011, its not a bike that gets sold for anywhere near list price. Kawasaki has 1000.00 of the 2019 and 1500 on the older bikes and that's nothing new. Figure 9500 on cycle trader. Its always been that way, and 2020 will be no different. I cant imagine them spending much on a new design 1000 that will be selling for 10k in six months.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Anyone who thinks the Versys is an improved version of the Ninja is out of their mind. It's not even remotely in the same class. It's an ADVENTURE bike, tall, bulky feeling, heavy, dumbass adventure styling, etc. Left me cold. Yeah, I've read the rave reviews but it certainly isn't for me.

H2 maybe fits the bill if they cut the price and weight into the Ninja range.

Really glad I just picked up a new '18. I can live with black and it'll last me a long long time. In my looking there are lots of '19s around and now I know why they aren't being discounted.
I’ve looked at the Versys pretty closely, but the ADV segment just isn’t for me...and not looking for a H2 supersport-type bike. The Ninja 1000 checked all the right boxes--relatively upright seating, sport-like profile and handling, touring option, etc. If the ninja 1000 isn’t available for 2020, I’ll either need to look at a leftover ‘19 and live with black (and apparently a mothballed model), or change my plans altogether, plans that probably will no longer include Kawasaki, unfortunately and disappointingly.
If you look at Kawasakis line up, they did not leave much room for the Ninja. Like it or not, the Versys is the one that got cruise control and electronic suspension. If Kenors wants to call it an adv bike, that's cool, but it's not an adv bike anymore than an s1000xr is. Anyone who knew motorcycles would not consider a 550lb inline 4, with 17 inch tires an adv bike, no matter what its handlebars look like. . Are you thinking Kawasaki gave it 5k worth of electronic suspension for whoops, or double jumps? I dont know, but that sounds very street like..maybe even touring.

Theres not much room, dollar wise, to improve a Ninja 1000 and not have it priced as high as the base h2sx. If you look back , all the way to 2011, its not a bike that gets sold for anywhere near list price. Kawasaki has 1000.00 of the 2019 and 1500 on the older bikes and that's nothing new. Figure 9500 on cycle trader. Its always been that way, and 2020 will be no different. I cant imagine them spending much on a new design 1000 that will be selling for 10k in six months.
Versys 1000 equals fat and/or old guy bike. Same for the S1000XR. The industry clearly knew that a ton of true ADV bikes never see the dirt and plenty of dudes don't have the back, knees, or room between their belly and the gas tank to assume a sportier position any more. Great bikes and all, but it's kinda like missionary position with a PTA mom, you're still getting laid, there's just more exciting positions to do with hotter women.

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
I dont mean it as if the versys really takes the ninjas place, especially how we see the ninja 1000. They two are not the same, or interchangeable. But, for Kawasaki, who knows? The ninja 650 is new.....then you read along and see where it got new tires and a tft display. I think the fairing is slightly different as well, but the basic bike is the same.

Maybe the ninja will see a similar thing? The uk magazines are always saying how popular it is, overturn, so that probably helps the cause.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I dont mean it as if the versys really takes the ninjas place, especially how we see the ninja 1000. They two are not the same, or interchangeable. But, for Kawasaki, who knows? The ninja 650 is new.....then you read along and see where it got new tires and a tft display. I think the fairing is slightly different as well, but the basic bike is the same.

Maybe the ninja will see a similar thing? The uk magazines are always saying how popular it is, overturn, so that probably helps the cause.
Sure it's all an attempt to gauge the market and find platforms that will appeal to a cross section of buyers. We see much the same with the crossover craze happening in the auto industry. Difference I think is that people are more likely to settle on a crossover and make it a less emotional purchase than motorcycles which we often buy for emotional reasons as well as practical.

·
Registered
601 Posts
We see much the same with the crossover craze happening in the auto industry. Difference I think is that people are more likely to settle on a crossover and make it a less emotional purchase than motorcycles which we often buy for emotional reasons as well as practical.
A Crossover is purely an emotional purchase.

Why would anyone choose a Crossover SUV over a 4-door sedan or a minivan? Most of the Xovers suffer from fuel efficiency due to their added weight and brick-like aerodynamics. Meanwhile, they don't necessarily offer more room than a minivan, and sometimes offer LESS room than a comparably sized 4-door sedan/hatchback. People buy them because it's the In-thing.

Same can be said of the ADV bikes. Like you said people buy a particular bike (in N.A. market anyway) primarily for emotional reasons. Nobody in their right mind will choose to take a 500+ lbs. ADV bike on an off road adventure. On an adventure, yes. Off road....it's cruel and unusual punishment. One does it because it feels good to prove it can be done. But the reality is, you're just not going to have fun off road in these behemoths. It's way more fun to go offroad in a Yamaha XT200 or even a Suzuki 200 Vanvan.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Kenors definition of adventure bike: Sit on the seat and your feet dangle 2" off the pavement. There's also the styling issue but that's more subjective.
I think the biggest reason for dropping the Ninja: I go to the 3 nearest dealers that carry Kawasaki and I seen 1-3 Versys 1000s and about the same Versys 650s and 0 Ninja 1000s on the floor. I've even run into a sales dweeb that didn't even know the Ninja 1000 existed. Kept telling me it was a ZX10 I was thinking of. I told him to go to the service department where my Ninja 1000 was being serviced! I had to go on-line to even find a Ninja 1000 and will be driving 200 mile to pick one up. Not the closest one but the closest one less than list price. I don't live in the strongest biking area in the country but still... I also think the reason the N1k lasted this long is the European market.

I rode VFRs from 1987 to 2012, it doesn't look like the Ninja run is going to last that long.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Kenors, if you ride one of them ADV bikes, you will understand why they're so popular. They are damn fun to ride and feels very secure up there on that ADV perch. They're also comfortable. Finally, there's a lot of confidence and comfort in knowing the bike you're on will handle the worst pothole or speed bump you will ever encounter in the Western World, without so much as a whimper. Test ride a Versys 650 and see for yourself. They do have low seat heights.

The perfect combo is a sportbike and an ADV bike.

Finally, when Zombies or Aliens attack and you have to bug out...there is no better bike to have than an ADV bike. A Dual Sport like the KLR and DR650 is included in that long list of bug out bikes!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Speaking of bug out bikes...the Rokon seems to be a favorite. 2wd and you can carry fuel or water in the tires. Kind of goofy IMO but to each their own. They also claim they will float.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Kenors, if you ride one of them ADV bikes, you will understand why they're so popular. They are damn fun to ride and feels very secure up there on that ADV perch. They're also comfortable. Finally, there's a lot of confidence and comfort in knowing the bike you're on will handle the worst pothole or speed bump you will ever encounter in the Western World, without so much as a whimper. Test ride a Versys 650 and see for yourself. They do have low seat heights.

The perfect combo is a sportbike and an ADV bike.

Finally, when Zombies or Aliens attack and you have to bug out...there is no better bike to have than an ADV bike. A Dual Sport like the KLR and DR650 is included in that long list of bug out bikes!
A friend just bought a Versys 650 with 160K miles without a blink. They go forever.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts