Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am creating my own system since I cannot justify spending $1300 for headers and a can. I know that they are the best welds ever but still, $1300. Also, not really my style, more of a fan of shorty exhausts. I found some 2009 zx10r headers for $20 so I figured might as well give them a try. They did not fit since they were straight back and we have that oil pan extension on the left side. Just going to have Ivan do a full system flash when I complete the system .

Does anyone know of any headers that bolt right up to our bikes? I would prefer not to just guess again but if I have to buy a few sets of headers to figure this out for everyone else, I am willing to do that.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
+1 for the Delkevics. They will fit perfect and the finish is very nice.
Caveat: They aren't for maximizing power because they use the same headpipe size as the OEM. As we've heard, that's a limiting factor on the high rpm max power. If you're going for good looks, sound and and the fine low end to midrange our Ninja's are known for they'll be great.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
What was the header that Volfy bought? It was decent quality and they pretty much gave him money to take it.

Not Black Widow, I dont think?...what was it?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I actually bought Delkevic headers too. I like Delkevic better but installed Lextek only because I prefer a single-sided exhaust. I still have the Delkevic pictured here, if anybody wants to buy them. Only taken out to take pics. See: Aftermarket Headers

As for downpipe sizing...yes, as the saying goes, there is no free lunch. While larger ID might flow better at higher RPM, Kawi went with the stock downpipe ID for a reason. Keeping the ID modest strikes a balance between good high volumetric flow efficiency (top end HP) and good exhaust gas velocity at lower RPM for better scavenging (low-mid range torque). For me and the way I ride the N1k, the latter is more importantly.

If you like to bounce off the rev limiter from every light, then you want big pipe.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
What Volfy is saying about the headet size is 100% true for any motorcycle, car, or tractor you could ever find. In general, it's a good rule to live by.

However, in this specific case, it isnt true. It was early 2011 when the first guy bolted on. GOOD, high quality header. That's Akrapovik or Arrow. When he did that, and put the bike on a dyno, the result showed he kept the low end and maybe even added to it as well as a solid 15 hp at the top end.

This is where you have to discuss quality, testing and design. If you buy a 100.00 header, that's probably not going to offer that kind of performance.

·
Registered
734 Posts
are you still selling these? if so how much
Not sure if you were asking me. If so, yes. I can dig it up and post some pics. I really should do that and post an ad in the For Sale section.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Do you think that price is based on some formula that would make the cost understandable, or reasonable? They say that specific pipe also takes about 1 days worth of labor to install.

It's been years since I ordered parts for a shop, but back then you could figure that some part, or accessory that sold for 2000.00 would cost the shop about 1000. Do you suppose that Mark up holds true here?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I suspect the price is exclusive of labor. As for how long it takes to install, I don't know. Akrapovic's web site will typically tell you how long an install takes for a certain job. A full system install on our bike, according to them, is 120 minutes (i.e. two hours). You can see for yourself here:

When I checked the Panigale V4, I got the following message:

We would like to inform you that Akrapovič exhaust systems for the selected model are available through authorized Ducati dealers. For additional information, please visit www.ducati.com.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
I saw this thread where they were talking about 8...10 or more hours, and a map. Crazy, no matter what .

These guys say 6. Probably more if it's the first one?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Percentage wise, I suppose $1500 exhaust for a $10,000 bike is about even with a $5000 exhaust for a $30,000 bike.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Percentage wise, I suppose $1500 exhaust for a $10,000 bike is about even with a $5000 exhaust for a $30,000 bike.
Ducati math never works for me, especially with the high rate of problems, and the cost of parts and labor. I've owned two, and will never own one again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The shop had the Akra on in 2 hours.

57x, do you think its possible to swap the Graves system on the ZX10R with the Akra system on the Ninja 1000? Lol

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
A 4-1 system, on an inline 4 , is pretty simple to install. The Ducati would be tough because of the rear cylinders.

I think they said the Akra/ducati pipe is also supplied with a map. No doubt they add an hour, or two to install that.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ducati math never works for me, especially with the high rate of problems, and the cost of parts and labor. I've owned two, and will never own one again.
I never did own one. Mostly because they have become a status symbol purchase to a lot of folks, like BMW, Merc and Audi cars.

About the only Ducati I've considered is the current Supersport S. Not a bad bike, but just the idea of having to adjust those desmo valves and service the belts is enough to keep me away. At one time long past, when metallurgy didn't allow for light & strong valves/springs, desmo served a useful purpose. These days, it's mostly different for difference's sake. Even Ducati is moving back to valve springs on their Multistrada.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts