Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
373 Posts

Inspiring ... after all

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
63 Posts
While in the mountains recently after a flood, I had to take a gravel road with a medium sized washout. It was a ***** to keep it upright. Love the Michelin Road 5 tires, but they might as well have been bald! And stopping on tiptoes, me on the Ninja offroad is a bad combo!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
LOL, the forum software doesn't like female dogs!

from the video, "just drop a gear and disappear!" (y)

·
Registered
373 Posts
yes, indeed, the tires matters and the suspensions + ground clearance matters also.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looks like DCT will help when you're faced with hairy situations during off-roading.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Wow, that article takes me back to the laundry list of things that used to cause me problems riding in the dirt. That was on a <300# 2 stroke dirt bike. I can't even imagine tackling some of the stuff they did on a 500+ pound bike. Nowadays I break too easy and heal too slowly to have a go at that stuff again...🤕

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I'd get a cheap DR650 or KLR like OCL and beat the cr*p out of it without having to worry. Cheap to fix.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Inspiring ... after all
This guy really understands what "Adventure" stands for. He nailed it. At least that's how I view it and that's how I ride. Although he makes it look super easy when he's hopping around those rocks! I go much slower on rocks like that. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'd get a cheap DR650 or KLR like OCL and beat the cr*p out of it without having to worry. Cheap to fix.
I sold my DR650 (and miss it when I go off road). I wanted something more "KLR-like" with more power and better pavement handling. But I still want to be able to explore forest roads and desert trails (all in the Easy category of course).
So I took advantage of the fantastic used bike values available and sold my DR650 before I put too many miles on it (32k miles when I delivered her).

Said my goodbyes to her....:cry:
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Got this in her place....more comfortable and much, much faster. Can still off road (albeit at a much slower pace).
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't be surprised if I come home with an Africa Twin.
I'm in the middle of striking a deal.

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
No Arthury, it won't surprise me at all. You've been hit by the bug. Mine hit back in 2017 and haven't looked back since. I hardly ride with my sport bike friends any longer. Every weekend for me lately is exploring some dirt road I saw on Google Earth.

For someone like myself who's been riding street for far too long, there really isn't anything new to experience. Within a 300 mile radius of my home, I've ridden almost every interesting road. It's time for a change of pace, scenery, and attitude. I don't like crowds anyway, and I don't much like going to a faraway destination only to encounter a bunch of tourists doing the same thing that I am. ;) I much prefer to get away from just about everyone. The Adventure style bikes gives me that ability.

If you end up with an AT, I will wager your Ninja will not be ridden at all (assuming you're not trading her in). Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
373 Posts
[...]
If you end up with an AT, I will wager your Ninja will not be ridden at all (assuming you're not trading her in). Good luck and ride safe.
I'll probably trade in my CBR1000RR SP. What's the use of keeping a speed-devil when I cannot legally speed on the street and I do not go to the tracks. I'm using less than half of what it can do... sigh. Just 2 days ago, I rode on the CBR1000RR and have forgotten how my legs are folded backwards so high up, I felt like I was in a prone position on the bike ... definitely not for me at this age ... and I ain't no Jalapeño Salsee (ooops, I meant Valentino Rossi). Those who want to be and do it on the street, usually get their license revoked or get maimed or killed.

I'm keeping the Ninja because it is comfortable and I can still go on longer trips.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Arthury, I think you and I are exactly on the same wavelength.

The Ninja is plenty comfortable for me as well. Even with its slightly forward riding position and the slightly high foot pegs, I still find it comfortable for all day rides. Having said that, the ADV riding position is the most comfortable for me.

I like the AT as well. I didn't get that bike because I knew for a fact that if I did get that bike, there would absolutely be no reason for me to have a Ninja 1000. Because the AT does 95% of what the Ninja does, which includes very long tours. Weighs about the same as well. I'm not quite ready to be Ninja-less. Perhaps I'm there and I just don't want to admit it.

Knowing what I know now and my current viewpoint, the ideal combination would be a big, liter class ADV bike that satisfies all my cravings including power. Plus a lighter Off-road centric ADV bike like a KLR650 or even a KTM 390 Adventure. If I didn't have a wife filled with common sense and one who needs an explanation for everything, I'd probably be doing this now. :LOL:

I could foresee that conversation: OCL, why do you need two ADV bikes? Because one is for going really fast and the other is for off road. OCL, but both go off road. Doh.......leave me alone.....:rolleyes::LOL:

·
Registered
373 Posts
2022 KLR650 is still a problem ... (if you are planning to put a lot of miles on it).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts