Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a Nexus 7 or similiar tablet as a gps? If so what exactly did you use to mount? Any problems. I have one and I am looking to do this but I want to make sure I'm not going to run into any problems with steering lock interference, dash visibility, tank bag interference etc.

Webbikeworld did a very nice write up using a Nexus 7 and it worked well on their V-Strom but it is a bigger "cockpit" than the N1000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I asked the same question but instead of a tablet I am wanting a good choice for mounting a radar detector. I ordered a stem mount made by Techmount. It's their kit that comes with 6 different size plugs with O-rings to fit in MOST triple-trees. However, on my 2012 N1K none of the plugs they sent were small enough to fit inside. I have been in contact TechMount and something good might come of the request for help. I'll post in the forum about it when I have more information.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got a Nexus 7 but have not found a good GPS app that I like for tracking and waypoint recording. I use CoPilot for navigation as it works well without the network, but for laying out waypoints and such, I use Maverick and its not that great. on my iPhone I use MotionX GPS which is FANTASTIC, but they don't make it for Android.

What apps are you thinking of using?

·
Registered
828 Posts
For android I love GPS logger. It is an incredible app. You can manually ad waypoints and you can determine all kinds of things for normally logging. For example, how frequent you want a log entry, what format (KML, GPX, etc.), what it is the minimum distance you need to move before it logs as a new point, what is the minimum level of accuracy and so on. It also does auto uploads via email, cloud storage, etc.

Super simple to use and not a memory hog.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mendhak.gpslogger&hl=en

·
Registered
93 Posts
For android I love GPS logger. It is an incredible app. You can manually ad waypoints and you can determine all kinds of things for normally logging. For example, how frequent you want a log entry, what format (KML, GPX, etc.), what it is the minimum distance you need to move before it logs as a new point, what is the minimum level of accuracy and so on. It also does auto uploads via email, cloud storage, etc.

Super simple to use and not a memory hog.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mendhak.gpslogger&hl=en
How's the support for downloading different maps for offline use? That's the awesome thing about Motion-X - you can download all kinds of maps from different servers depending on what you want to have available when you're off the wireless network.

Or is this app only for logging your positions, then you have to chart that data later against some map you've got elsewhere?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts