Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
95 Posts
I've commented on the FJR before since I've been riding them since 2003. It's great for touring, but it's not a canyon carver (nor is the C14, which I have also owned)--that's why so many IBA riders prefer it. If I could only have one bike, it would not be the FJR, but since I have 3 very different bikes, the FJR will always be one of them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't necessarily need a canyon carver. There are a lot of twisties here in TN but I'm not a peg scraper.

One thing about the Ninja that bugs me is the amount of wind buffeting on the Interstate. Our speed limits are 70 and even with a touring screen my head and the bike get kinda squirrely out there from just the crosswinds much less the tractor trailers on the freeways.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
That bugs me on mine as well. Espeically unpleasant on days under 50 degrees.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Should we hold an intervention for Eagle Six?
No I don't need no stupid intervention (they say the first sign is denial), what I need is 1 each ZX10RR, 1 each YZF-R1M, 1 each GSX-1000R, 1 each CBR1000RR-R, and 1 each RSV 1100 (although I like 2 of everything), along with my ZX14r and N1K, I could switch off every day of the week, and what I want is a ZX6R for Sunday afternoons. When you get really old your wants and needs get mixed up and I have enough wisdom to know I can trick my adult brain into making 19 year decisions!!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I'm not sure how to solve wind buffeting, anymore. Look at the new Goldwing. Honda couldnt wait to make the fairing on it as small as they possibly could. The last one I saw had 600.00 worth of aftermarket plexiglass wings attached to it.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
95 Posts
I don't necessarily need a canyon carver. There are a lot of twisties here in TN but I'm not a peg scraper.

One thing about the Ninja that bugs me is the amount of wind buffeting on the Interstate. Our speed limits are 70 and even with a touring screen my head and the bike get kinda squirrely out there from just the crosswinds much less the tractor trailers on the freeways.
You can definitely enjoy an FJR in the twisties--I've ridden them extensively in the Rockies and the Smokies over the years. It handles really well for a big 642 lb. bike, even with the side cases and a seat bag on. The electrically adjustable screen, even the smaller OEM one, gets rid of all wind buffeting for me and, of course, the weight of the bike does wonders for stability in cross winds or downpours, which you will undoubtedly encounter on a long trip.

Unfortunately, Yamaha does not appear to be updating them to Euro 5 standards, so they're dead in Europe now which may spill over to them killing them in the US too.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
No I don't need no stupid intervention (they say the first sign is denial), what I need is 1 each ZX10RR, 1 each YZF-R1M, 1 each GSX-1000R, 1 each CBR1000RR-R, and 1 each RSV 1100 (although I like 2 of everything), along with my ZX14r and N1K, I could switch off every day of the week, and what I want is a ZX6R for Sunday afternoons. When you get really old your wants and needs get mixed up and I have enough wisdom to know I can trick my adult brain into making 19 year decisions!!
The above seems perfectly reasonable. Though it screams for the addition of an off road bike or three.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My problem is I rode a friend's 700 Yamaha Kodiak ATV and now I want one, I'm going with him again this weekend to hit the trails. I have a CBR600RR, have a '21 1000SX ordered, and now I want an ATV. Next it'll be a dirt bike. It never ends!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I'd love one of those ATVs too. They're a blast. Man there are more toys than times/places to use them!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
My co worked just bought the Kawasaki. Its this one. A thousand cc, twin. The engine is awesome. Torque, everywhere. It's also shaped in a way that would not make it that difficult to hook up to a 5 speed transmission for a dual sport bike. Obviously, different cases, but that top end is motorcycle ready, as is.

It is I teresting to look at. Its built like a tank. The Yamaha is probably more fun, but this thing is built stronger. A few years back, I had one. It's only crime was that it isnt a dirt bike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My problem is I rode a friend's 700 Yamaha Kodiak ATV and now I want one, I'm going with him again this weekend to hit the trails. I have a CBR600RR, have a '21 1000SX ordered, and now I want an ATV. Next it'll be a dirt bike. It never ends!
Do you have any boats or airplanes yet? They are lots of big money!

·
Registered
273 Posts
My dealer in Apache Junction, AZ, due to Covid cannot keep the KRX in stock, or any other SXS's for that matter, but he says the KRX is the hot seller.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I keep going back to the engine in the ......yes, it's the KRX. Built like a tank. It's so cool. The engine doesnt fit in the krx nearly as well as a flat configuration, Subaru like motor would. A flat engine would give more room for people, or junk.

I think we will see it, in motorcycle form. A Kawasaki African Twin. I think it makes about 85 hp, tuned for low end like you would want in something so heavy. You could probably get 90-100 if you let it rev. The engine is too compact and pretty to be wasted on 4 wheels.

I didnt study it that close, but the chassis would easily support a good, zx14 motor, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have any boats or airplanes yet? They are lots of big money!
Fortunately not yet, they're a bit out of my price range right now =) I don't think I'd ever want to own a plane. A boat maybe. But the ATV is insanely fun. It tops out at 70 mph and going through the woods at 35-45 feels like 100 on the freeway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Kawasaki would be selling me a 2021 if they could have squeezed a decent bit more power out of it. I love the cruise control, and I like the idea of the quick-shifter, revised handling, and the TFT is neat I guess? I know I’m wishing for everything on a silver platter here, but give it more power Kawi! I have a 190/55 on the rear already, so the handling is there. I’m thinking of - at some point - going for the full Akrapovic exhaust and Ivan tune to get more power and smoothness out of my 2017. Kinda hard to think about paying top dollar for a new one unless it produces more power. I can put on a throttle lock.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts