Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a ride by wire system reduce the snatchy throttle that the cable throttle has? Is that even an issue on the 2020 models?

The more I read about the 2020/21 models the more I like them. But, I recently had Ivan reflash my 15 and that snatchy throttle is all but eliminated as well as the drastic engine braking. However, if the new model isn't going to perform any better then I won't waste my money.

So far I've read the new model doesn't require a 55 series rear tire that the older models perform better with. I do have a throttle lock that I'm not displeased with but I like the idea of true cruise control.

Mine is a 15 so doesn't have a slipper/assist clutch and I like the idea of the quickshifter on the new ones also.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As you know, the best option would be to get a demo ride on a 20/21 model so you can compare for yourself. I can not compare only report on my 2020 compared to other bikes I have. I don't have an issue with the throttle. For me it isn't a 'snatchy' throttle. There is a slight lag in the physical twist and response, compared to my ZX14r. My ZX14r has a reflash (not Ivan's) but the throttle on the ZX14r is pretty smooth without a flash. I have no reason to go to a 55 tire. Although some have reported the cruise on the 2020 fluctuates as much as 5 mph, I have only typically seen 2 mph and that recovers quickly both up and down hill, so I enjoy the 2020 cruise control. I use the quick shifter a lot more than I thought I would when solo, in the lower gears not so much when my wife is aboard as I can shift smoother using the clutch so she is not jerked around as much. The exception to that is whenever I need to get going fast, I give her a heads up it's coming and she is good with that.

I like having 2 (2 is 1 and 1 is none), so there may be a day in the near future I will pick up another N1K. Listening to others about the previous gen models I wouldn't want to go back any years and would probably go with a 2021 to match my current 2020, or another lightly used 2020. As you know we are all different, so this is just my opinion based on various factors but not from a direct comparison of owning a 2011-2019 to my 2020.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you have a flashed N1k, it's never going to be as good as any new N1k. The physical lag between throttle twist and response that Eagle Six speaks of is present on 2017+. It's momentary and if that's all you know, it will never bother you. It's just a way to refine the bike. But I also have a very direct '12 N1k and I so much prefer that instantaneous response to throttle input. My '12 without electronic controls just snap to attention whenever I ask, so it feels more awake compared to my stock 2018. It also feels stronger and lighter and I love that about it. I prefer riding the '12 actually.

Having said that, the newest N1k's have cruise control, LED lights, quick shifter, which are things that is hard to put on an older bike. While I don't feel the need for CC, sometimes I wish for a QS but that's rare. But again, I don't need them nor does riding a non-electronic bike ever feel like I'm not having fun. The one nice thing to have is the IMU controlled TC/ABS when road c,onditions are less than ideal. Nevertheless, any time I want to ride for fun, I always gravitate to my raw and direct 2012

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I'm a little pissed I was at a demo day, sitting on the darn thing, but didn't ride it. Didn't want to wait 2 1/2 hours.
I had a '15 and with Ivan's flash the throttle was not snatchy.Not noticeably at least. The fueling on my '18 is not to my liking at all so I will be wanting to try Ivan's new flash. OCL, what are you going to do?

The only thing that I find compelling about the 2020 is the better handling everyone says it has. Other than that I could give a rats anus about cruise control or a quick shifter. From what I hear the NInja's quick shifter is not super quality so I'd be hesitant to use it much anyway.

IN some ways I Liked my first NInja, a 2014, better than my 2018. The lights and the seat were the only things that were improved IMO. Not sure I even notice the alleged lean angle abs and TC my 2018 has.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Ocl bought the old bike and it already had ivans flash. So, comparing it to his new bike isnt especiallly valid.

The new bike will have instant response as soon as its flashed, too. Theres nothing magical about the older bikes in this regard.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'll wait a year or so until the price drops on a 2020 leftover and then get one if I still feel the desire. By then Ivan may have a flash for it or there may even be another bike that catches my attention.

Reactions: Avintage69 and Bc2

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
If you wait, that can go on forever. There will always be the next updated bike thats cheaper and has more features.

If the slipper clutch is a big deal, it's not that expensive to put one on your bike. It's not cheap, but cheaper than trading bikes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly I don't need a new bike. I just want the latest and greatest. Wish I wasn't that way sometimes.

I'd actually like to try one of the larger sport tourers like an FJR or Concours. There are new 2018 FJRs out there for not much more than the new N1k. I've always wanted to see what a real touring bike is like.

And the FJR comes with cruise, electric adjustable windscreen, shaft drive, centerstand, heated grips, glove box with charging port and the bags are included in the cost.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Honestly I don't need a new bike. I just want the latest and greatest. Wish I wasn't that way sometimes.
You'll probably grow out of it. I didn't think I would, but I finally did, until then you should try the FJR, I did!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You'll probably grow out of it. I didn't think I would, but I finally did, until then you should try the FJR, I did!!
Any regrets about the FJR? And I'll be 50 in a few months. If I am going to outgrow it it needs to happen soon.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I made the rounds and realized there's no greatest. You have to make sure you have the bike that fits your needs. Or if you have multiple needs than you need two bikes. The luster of a new toy wears off pretty quickly.
5 1/2 years ago I had a NInja. 7 bikes later I have a NInja again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I made the rounds and realized there's no greatest. You have to make sure you have the bike that fits your needs. Or if you have multiple needs than you need two bikes.
I'm a Special Needs rider, like about 10 needs but only have room for two, dammit!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Any regrets about the FJR? And I'll be 50 in a few months. If I am going to outgrow it it needs to happen soon.
Well I was like 65 when I finally out grew it. (Hi my name is George and I habitually lie about not needing the latest and greatest anymore!). You have a ways to go my friend.

When I bought the FJR1300A (2007 model, I think it was a Gen 3) I thought it was going to be a sport touring bike that leaned on the sport side. When ever I express my thoughts about it I piss others off. So I apologize to all FJR owners in advance and will state that it is a nice bike. However, for me it is a pig. It will go fast, sooner or later, but it is heavy and stiff. I did like some of the features but the total package was a disappointment to both me and my 2-up riding partner.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will always be solo on any bike I ride. I'm not a terribly fast rider either. I guess the bottom line is that you won't know which suits you best until you've tried them all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I guess the bottom line is that you won't know which suits you best until you've tried them all.
(Hi my mane is George and I have 2 habits, a ZX14r and a N1K, but I will never be cured because I want them ALL!!)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I have needs. I could totally justify 4 wives, I mean bikes.. I've typically had two but the past few years it's just been one and it's been very tough.

Chowda, you would know if you needed one. If you were not comfortable on the NInja for long distances you would know you needed an FJR or C14. If I go back to my usual pre covid commute, I will need one too. If you're happy with the Ninja in most circumstances than you don't need anything else. You might like the newness of another bike but not necessarily NEED it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Should we hold an intervention for Eagle Six?

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rock you make too much sense. No doubt that I could easily get away with just the N1k. My ride to work is only 60 miles round trip. It's definitely a want issue.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
When my commute was 25 miles each way, much of which was on a two lane 55 mph highway with no crosswinds or trucks (much more pleasant than the interstate) , the Ninja was perfect. My latest commute at 40-41 miles each way on a patch of highway super beset with crosswinds (much of it goes over rivers and reservoirs) , where everyone is going 85 and there are a ton of tractor trailers, the Ninja is sort of a drag. On cold mornings I need more wind protection, and my knees start to bark after a bit, as does my butt, after a a bit. I could use an FJR for sure.

Right now with us all working form home full time the Ninja is filling all my needs though I would still like a smaller bike for the twisties. That's a pure want though, and I would only use it once or twice a week.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts