Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, looking for some info on an idle surge I'm having with my bike. Just had a tune done and that's when it started. 2014 Ninja 1000 abs, akra header, slip ons, stock air filter, Ivan's tune. I have a video of it and it's only while warming up. Surges from 1k-2k rpm. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
For me the more unrestricted I went with the exhaust the more sensitive the bike became if the idle was less then 1400. When I run without any baffles what so ever I still get a small surge from 1200 to 1600 for a minute or 2 during the middle of warm up. So I set the idle at or just above 1500 and it stops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The exhaust is pretty much unrestricted. That's a great idea to adjust the idle. When I asked Ivan he said it's due to timing advance. Also should I be running a high flow air filter? Was going to keep the stock one but it's a little dirty.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have non of these issues.

If I knew that ivans tune did this, I don't think I would of suggested his tune to so many.

It's not normal, but sure seems tune related.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
It "does this" for a few minutes as the bike warms up. As the bike is sitting on its kick stand just before you drive off. After the bike warms up, its not there. On my bike it lasts a whole one minute thirty seconds. Less time on a warm day.

Once outside temp is over 70 its not there.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
As others have said it's only to warm the bike up. My tuned truck does the same thing. I get my ECU back from Ivan tomorrow, I'm so excited.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nothing that I have ever tuned has had such issue.

Everyone has their own methods of tuning, but this just should not be happening.

Few minutes on initial start up or not. Surging = not enough fuel.

This is a good thread to bring the faults of Ivans tune to the surface though.

If that's all it is, guess that is part of having to deal with having limited support for this bike.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
If I were tuning, and trying to learn something, the real question would be why did he leave it there if it was a matter of adding a little more fuel? Think of how easy that would have been? He had the ecu on his desk and had several years into the project......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might bring it somewhere locally to check out the tune, power, and a/f ratio. I've read of people fine tuning it after to get a couple hp and lean it up a bit. Fix the warm up surge as well.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Sure thing....ivan has five years in the flash, and six generations of upgrades....but he missed the warm surge.....seriously?

However, you roll out into your local dyno jet facility and have your guy "lean it out" and fix the warm surge....and pick up a few hp.....I agree. Brilliant plan. You should do it before nightfall.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Dang RC maybe Ivan will give our money back on His flash.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is nothing wrong in getting a PC5 tune on top of a flash.

A flash will not be able to be fine tuned to every individual's bike.

Also, surging is not normal.

PS: I really enjoy my DIY woolich tuning setup. :)

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
I would have went with the tuning kit option if I wanted to tune my bikes at the hobbyist level,or thats all I had. Id be all over it on a newer Ninja, for sure, and it can be a great option.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Proto how much is a complete wool rich tuning kit

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I can confirm the same, the first thing I noticed with the flash was the higher idle and the searching on colds starts, particularly if you try to run OEM idle rpm's,. Seem to also have acquired a bit of mood when stating when hot, takes a bit more then the 1to 2 second starter turnover as when stock,,.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed. Can confirm the additional cranking time even a start/stall after it's warmed up. All in all the bike pulls well, it's not scary "can't keep the front wheel down" fast. So in the end... not worth the money for the header, tune, block off plates, k&n filter. The tune was definitely necessary after the header and so were the block off plates. However, now I'm left with a bike that revs between 1-2k rpms anytime I let it sit for a few mins. If I'm doing something wrong here, and somehow the idle surging is my fault, and not the fault of "6yrs" of perfecting... I'll gladly apologize and shout praises from the rooftops. Until then I'll look for a solution that works. Or at least a second opinion and some numbers on how the bike is actually running.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts