Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I've just purchased a leftover 2014 N1k to fill the empty sport touring slot in my fleet. I've previously had a BMW R100RS, R1100RS, Ducati ST2, and a Buell S3T as dedicated sport touring machines, and once had a much modified GSXR1100 equipped with soft luggage and an extended range 7 gallon tank. I'm looking forward to taking delivery of the big Kawaski and expect to give it a lot of exercise in the coming year.

I roadrace, ride off-road a lot, and have owned more than 60 bikes of all flavors and types over the years. I'm old enough to have owned and ridden fast machines with drum brakes and excited to have anti locks and traction control.

My only concern with the new N1k is the potential vibration level, which seems to vary a lot from ride report to ride report. I've toured on thumpers so I've got a decent tolerance, but smother is always better. I won't get to exercise the bike till winter is over, but everything else about the bike ticks the boxes of what I wanted in a machine.

I'll be doing all of my own servicing, so will be watching the technical section of the forum closely.

Best to all and now I'm even more eager for spring to arrive!

·
Registered
828 Posts
In a lot of ways you have a similar background as mine. The vibes of the bike seem to vary a bit by each individual machine. The vibes are more high frequency than a thumper. I used to ride some very big singles on the road a counterbalancer, there was still some serious vibes.

The difference is the N1K has high frequency, generally low amplitude ones whereas the thumpers tend to be low frequency high amplitude. For me on the N1K, it was like holding on to an electric toothbrush on steriods. I posted in great detail on other threads.

The buzzing was typically when over 5k rpm. With stock gearing this put me right in my cruise zone. I changed gearing (taller) and that helped. I then went to heavier handlebar weights and that helped even more. Finally a different set of mufflers added to the vibration reduction. Is it buttery smooth like my BMW K16GT? No, but I can spend 14 hours in the saddle and still have feeling in my hands.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Welcome to the forum Elfix... looking forward to your impressions of the bike.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welcome!

I have a 2014 as well. On mine, there really isn't any vibration under 6k. It seems the worst at 7k+ but high rpm isn't the sweet spot on this bike anyway. Of course, Ivan's flash may change that a bit :).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be due to report back once I manage some seat time. Most of the road bikes I have owned have been twins, so I'm more accustomed to a lower frequency higher amplitude vibration. My last 4 was a GS1000s Muth Katana, and I suspect that by today's standards it vibrated a bunch. The last 4 I have any seat time on was a 2008 GSXR750 but that was on a racetrack, and if it vibrated at all I was too busy to notice. It was smoother than my Ducati 848, I suppose.

One thing I have done to my road machines which has reduced hand fatigue from vibration was to add grip heaters. I've been using the kinpex under grip units for years and find they work well. Can anyone tell me if the N1K has switched accessory power anywhere up near the instrument cluster that can be tapped into? My 04 250 ninja was so equipped (to my great surprise) but my 01 500 Ninja was not.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the Ivan's reflash affect the traction control system in any way, and does the power reduction Mose still work? How is fuel consumption affected?

·
Registered
828 Posts
No effect on traction or power modes. My fuel consumption went up and I don't need to run premium fuel. You can run 89 octane instead of 91.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can run 89 octane instead of 91.
My manual states that I should use 95+ octane fuel. The sticker on the tank warns of severe engine damage if lower octane fuel is used. Is that BS or is there really a difference in the engine setup between the Asian/Philippine model and the North American/US model which accounts for the different fuel octane recommendations?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Pare! Mas ok kung blaze lang ikarga mo dyan. Nung nasa Pinas ako, sa zx14 ko, malata ang takbo sa xcs pati sa vpower. Kung nahalo naman ng xcs at blaze, ok lang pero sa unleaded malata talaga. Mahal magpagawa saatin, yun din sabi saakin ni papa Rick.

Gas threads are like oil and religion discussions. Lol. Topic has been heavily discussed heavily on the green board. Some people say they ran it lower octane without any problems, if you get it Ivanized it will be tuned for a lower octane. It will all come down to your personal preference and risk.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My manual states that I should use 95+ octane fuel. The sticker on the tank warns of severe engine damage if lower octane fuel is used. Is that BS or is there really a difference in the engine setup between the Asian/Philippine model and the North American/US model which accounts for the different fuel octane recommendations?
I can't remember the fuel explanation but the rating is not apples-to-apples I believe. US 91 would be the equivalent of 95 in Europe. US 93 = EU 98.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can't remember the fuel explanation but the rating is not apples-to-apples I believe. US 91 would be the equivalent of 95 in Europe. US 93 = EU 98.
Got it. The US uses the average of RON and MON, (RON + MON)/2, in rating its fuel. Because MON has a lower index rating than RON, the average of the two would be lower than the RON rating. We use RON in the Philippines, just like in the EU.

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally took delivery of the new blue machine- have assembled and mounted the bags, added heated grips and a power outlet off the battery for my heated vest (and to plug in the battery tender) and performed the clutch oiling modification. I'm awaiting a tank protector, fender extension, and the arrival of spring.

Hurry up, spring!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Finally took delivery of the new blue machine- have assembled and mounted the bags, added heated grips and a power outlet off the battery for my heated vest (and to plug in the battery tender) and performed the clutch oiling modification. I'm awaiting a tank protector, fender extension, and the arrival of spring.

Hurry up, spring!
beautifull looking color.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts