Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Here is the Traxxion Dynamics reservoir mount for the Penske 8983.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Traxxion Dynamics Penske 8983 reservoir mount.

Reactions: Volfy and RobF

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Maybe just a little.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Took the bike for a ride before it got dark. If you've read other reviews of the Penske/AK20 setup for this bike you probably already know what I'm going to say.

It really does transform this bike into what feels like a different bike. I was told they lengthened the Penske about 1mm longer than the original shock. It feels like the bike is 100lbs lighter than before when moving the bars any amount.

I already had the 55 series rear tire and it made a difference, but, I think the longer shock makes a bigger difference.

The bike feels planted and doesn't take near the effort to maintain a line in a curve. There were certain curves that I used to brake fairly heavily before entering that I found myself going faster through. The amount of pressure on the bars needed to lean the bike is also considerably less than before.

The front forks don't dip nearly as much when grabbing the front brake. Actually feels more stable and controllable when grabbing a handful of brake than it used too.

It is also much more comfortable. After I got back to the house I did soften up the front and rear compression damping but haven't taken it out for another ride yet. It may be a few days before I do with the cold and rain coming.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Did they charge extra for the mount, or was it part of the deal? I still think I want one. At that point, I'll ne able to cut up a battery box and remove all the un used posts and mounts inside of it that are not used.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
It was included in the deal. Dan told me they fabbed up those mounts for those shocks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It still has preload/rebound on top and compression on the right leg.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
I believe we have identical upgrades and the adjustments are just like the stock bike has, with regards to the fork. The adjustments are more sensitive, now. A person would be able to notice a 1/16 turn of any of the knobs. On the fork, theres no way you would ever give the compression or rebound a full turn.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
I should have mentioned this....penske makes a cute little wrench that you can use to loosen the nut when you adjust the shock length. Maybe they gave you one? It's just a 3/4" wrench, so no big deal. I bought one of the official wrenches, but I tend to use my old craftsman wrench that I cut in half.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Congrats. Glad to hear all went well and you are happy with it.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
I thought it was interesting that his newer bike, with a different shock linkage, uses a shock 1mm longer than stock.

Mine was plus 7mm. Even though both figures amount to almost nothing, anyone would feel the difference before the bike made it out of the driveway. Kawasaki must have done a better job on the newer machine.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
They did give me the wrench for the height adjustment.

I discovered a problem with the remote reservoir mount today. I tried putting the right side hard bag on and the reservoir interferes with the bag. I need to find a spacer and longer bolt or some other place to mount it.

In the pic I have the bolt removed and the reservoir is hanging loose with the bag in place.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
After seeing your post about adding a spacer to your exhaust i went online and ordered a black anodized aluminum 1" spacer for the mount.

Reactions: rcannon409
41 - 60 of 62 Posts