Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Dan, with Traxxion Dynamics, is ordering a shock for me and if it arrives in time I will be visiting TD on 1/26 to have the Penske 8983 with remote reservoir and AK-20s installed.

Can't wait to see what a properly setup suspension feels like.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Ok, so someone recognized the proper way to use Covid money!

I've had mine suspension, same as you've ordered, for 7 yrs...almost 8. I havent regretted buying it and I havent regretted going all in and buying the new shock and the cartridges. You notice the comfort on every ride. Theres been a few potholes I've hit that made me look at this as a safety item.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
441 Posts
Dan, with Traxxion Dynamics, is ordering a shock for me and if it arrives in time I will be visiting TD on 1/26 to have the Penske 8983 with remote reservoir and AK-20s installed.

Can't wait to see what a properly setup suspension feels like.
Great news! I'm curious how this goes. Did they provide any discount for buying both?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Which shock would you have chosen? TD offered me a height adjustable 8975 with inline compression adjuster or an 8983 with remote compression adjuster.

Dan told me there wouldn't be a performance difference between the two, but, the compression adjuster on the 8975 will be harder to get to since it'd be at the top of the shock.

The price difference is $150.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
By the time you order this, you are in so deep. It's like the degenerate gambler, in a way. Hes gambled away 10k and decides to eat dinner at McDonalds. You brought up a really good point here.

We are conditioned to expect 72 compression adjustments, 97 rebound....and if you could get 100 adjustments, that's even better. Thats nice on the stock system, but not really because none of them are very good, and the entire range of adjustment is minimal, anyway.

With this stuff, it's a non-issue. Each click really does something. Up front, you will notice a 1/16 turn of the little brass screw.

I bought the reservoir one, but this would be a good place to save the 150.00. Really, this shock is so good, and so well set up. It's been set up with your settings. Your spring rate. Your compression damping matches this. Seriously, if it was non adjustable, you would be just fine. Having it not super easy to access is a nothing.

As long as you have length adjust, that's the big one. I've enjoyed playing with the adjustments, but mine are set so close to the way Traxxion sent them......I might be 2 clicks away from stock. Having to reach in wouldnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I decided to get the 8983 with remote adjuster. At the price I'm already paying I figure $150 isn't much more. They'll have a mounting bracket to mount the remote reservoir during the install.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
Im with ya., what's another 150? Are they using their z bracket?

Mine is mounted through the battery box. It works. Over the years, I've probably made 5 brackets, but never found one I was happy with.

The best one was one I "made" from some scraps of carbon fiber. These scraps were laying beside the dumpster at a place that makes parts for military jets. Score! I measure. I lay out the perfect pattern. All I have to do is drill 2 holes and cut it out.

The drill really doesnt do much. The bit must be old? It's not sharp. Mental note to buy a new one. I'll cut it first. I lay my jigsaw against it. Brand new blade. I cut just enough to leave a mark and it stops cutting. I look down and the blade looks the same on both sides. The teeth are gone. So, that's where this awesome bracket is. Laying in the corner.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm not really sure. Here's a pic Dan sent showing it mounted.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
I'm not sure, either, but that looks good. Maybe we can get a better, close up when yours is done? That is the same shock that I have a d the reservoir is connected with the same fittings.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'll be sure to snap some pics when they're done. Whatever they did it ooks decent mounted that way imo.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'd probably go the same way. I'd want the remote reservoir with the height adjustment.
Both can be had with height adjustment. I just felt the remote adjuster would be easier to use and may be easier to swap from this bike to another if I buy a new one someday.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
441 Posts
Both can be had with height adjustment. I just felt the remote adjuster would be easier to use and may be easier to swap from this bike to another if I buy a new one someday.
Makes sense. I don't know why, but I'm excited about the suspension and you're the one getting it. LOL

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Emailed Dan today at Traxxion to ask if we were a go for the 26th. He responded that the Penske shock had arrived just 30 mins before I emailed so we are good to go. Can't wait to get it done and see what kind of difference good suspension makes.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
I wasnt able to do mine, together. I had the shock a week before the fork. That was a disaster. Having one good end, and one bad is worse than having both screwed up.

I wish I would have waited to do them both, on the same day.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very cool that they do that!- going to need a ride review very soon, maybe like stop frequently on the way home and update this forum :LOL:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Very cool that they do that!- going to need a ride review very soon, maybe like stop frequently on the way home and update this forum :LOL:
I hauled it in on a trailer since I'm bringing back my old shock and fork innards. They brought the bike in at 0900 and I'm loaded and leaving at 1230. Not bad IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
I knew I should have told them my name was Shithead....

I did the same work...3.5 hrs? Lol. It wasnt too bad, but I took all day on the fork. The shock was easy. I'm anxious to see your reservoir mount.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts