Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

New Suit

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Experience_Matters 
#1 ·
I have 2 pair leathers. My fat leathers (which I wear now), 90's fluorescent and my race leathers which fit 30 lbs. ago. So, I was thinking of buying a textile suit, more flex, able to be packed in hardbags, airflow. But was wondering what people who had them thought. I've seen them from $350-$2000. I'm looking for a cooler option than leather. But many riders say stick to leather? Anyone had a get-off in Kevlar or similar? So therefore I ask before I buy.

This was what I was looking at-
Joe Rocket Survivor Suit - RevZilla

But other riders say- One Piece Suits - Suits :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

#2 ·
Motoport Kevlar Ultra Mesh is year-'round comfortable. It's very breathable in warm/hot weather and also works in cool/cold weather with heated liners. The kevlar is very durable and resistant to wear. It's also something like 10X more resistant to tearing than leather in the event of a getoff at speed.

This gear is not cheap, but it is a very good value. You take measurements and send to Motoport for a perfect fit. I choose to wear a jacket and overpants, fully armored and with unique hi-viz accent stripes. They also have armored ultra mesh regular pants.

Attachments

#13 ·
I have Motoport stretch kevlar pants and jacket... very comfortable and durable. I live near the Motoport shop and was able to see gear that was being repaired after get offs... gear that was repairable while other brands would have completely shredded. Nothing compares in my opinion.

Another vote for motoport here. You won't find anything on the market that is as strong and breathable as their stuff. I have a jacket and pants as well.

I still have leather jackets but use those for winter riding. My leather suit is for track only (or an occasional canyon run).
I spoke to the guys at Motoport yesterday. Very helpful.

I am considering the "quad armor" upgrade. Did any of you guys opt for this upgrade. Either way, what is your impression of the armor compared to one of your leather suits?

Sprockethead, Omniron, you guys look like you have the Motoport Air Mesh Jacket model, and the Ultra II Air Mesh pants. Am I right, or did you get the stretch pants?

Thanks,
Ishikawa

#3 ·
I have Motoport stretch kevlar pants and jacket... very comfortable and durable. I live near the Motoport shop and was able to see gear that was being repaired after get offs... gear that was repairable while other brands would have completely shredded. Nothing compares in my opinion.

#4 ·
The newer synthetic gear really lets the air flow through when its warmer, in matter of fact if you dont have a liner in it when its cooler its like having nothing on far as keeping warm definately ventilated.

#10 ·
I was dead set on getting an Aerostitch for rain, and to have an oversuit. I looked kind of funny when I showed up for our family easter get together in my black dainese leathers :D

This motoport stuff looks very cool, and they are within a days ride from my neck of the woods. I would consider just going to their location and getting a proper fitting from them.

Any of you Motoport riders ever tried their stuff out in the rain (with the waterproof liners, of course)? I suspect it's fine, but it's always good to hear about personal experiences.

#11 ·
Can't comment on the waterproof liners since I rarely ride in rain. I have a waterproof shell and overpants for those rare occasions it does happen. If it's like their other stuff, it should be just fine.

For fitment, I just send in an old jacket or pants for them to use as a template. Just take out the armor so it fits in a smaller box.

#12 ·
I appreciate your input.

Been riding 5 months now, can't really call any of my stuff "old" :) ...and I only have one pair of riding pants (so far). I'm one of these difficult to fit types. If the waist fits, the thighs don't, or the shoulders don't...make Hulk angry! :mad: I hadn't gotten an Aerostitch yet because I was waiting for their next West Coast Event. If I go the Motoport route I'll definitely have them do the measuring while I point out where off the rack stuff usually doesn't fit. In my situation it makes sense when spending over $900.

#14 · (Edited)
The Motoport armor is superior to the US graded CE armor. It is softer and transfers less force to your body, so the risk of shattering bones is lower. After a few heat cycles, it also molds to your body. I have the quad armor for my pants; I would recommend it if you want more peace of mind through additional protection.

I have the Cordura 1000 street jeans and the black/yellow Motoport Air Mesh Jacket.

#16 ·
For rain ...
don't go for liners you can take out, even goretex ... it sucks.
Once the outer layer is wet, and wind hits it, you have the feeling the temperature dropped 10°C ... you might stay dry ... but you'll have cold.

Go for laminated goretex. The outer layer doesn't get soaked.
You also have these with descent ventilation, but they cost a LOT.
Laminated goretex without descent ventilation is warm above 20°C, too warm above 25°C (i have rather easily warm).
I prefered to have a descent laminated goretex suit for spring & rain, and a descent 2 piece leather suit for hot days.

Everything that isn't goretex will get you wet after a while.
Also when going for a rain suit, make sure the jacket goes way down to your knees.
If not, rain will run with the wind along your pants, under your jacket, making your belly wet.
Even Goretex will make you wet, but it takes a lot of pressure to do so.
I once was soaked in my goretex hiking suit, but was standing still in a huge storm to take a photo ... I stood there 40 minutes, wind was +100km/hour & I was soaked everywhere after that.
Under normal riding, even with rain for 4-5 hours, you'll stay dry. On a naked it might be different as you get hit with a lot more wind (pressure on the water on your suit).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.